Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

new to fifth wheel

hello all,
we have had a salem tt but we are going down saterday to pick up are fifth wheel. Since we are new to 5th wheels, I was wondering if any one had any good idea's, or things to watch out for. thanks for all your time

brad
hunt973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I see that this is your first post. Welcome to iRV2 , and congratulations on the new 5th wheel

If you'll go to the main menu page and scroll down to the forum below this one (5th Wheel Discussion), there's a wealth of historical information. Scroll down through the topics and you'll find any number of threads started by individuals who were new to 5th wheels and looking for input, suggestions and information.

If you have any specific questions, be sure and post them up. We'll do our best to answer them.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
IC2

There are several things too watch for, but probably low over heads like gas stations and trees. Then the fact that a 5er does turn faster then a TT with obstacles "jumping" out at tires and the side. Pulling across drainage culverts can cause you to ding the trailer and bed of the truck if it's too abrupt. For the most part, if you can find a large and empty parking lot and practice turns and backing and doing it s-l-o-o-o-w-l-y your adaptation time will be a lot faster. The dealer took me for an orientation 'cruise' to a parking lot and worked with me for the best part of an hour when I purchased my first 5er.

If you have a long bed, not too many problems with rear window interference, but a short bed truck - you do need to be well aware that a 90* turn will probably not be possible (tho they are seldom encountered)

Just take your time - and welcome to the world of 5ers
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As IC2 noted, the 5th wheel will 'cut the corner' when turning...practice and swing wide.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Suggestions

Make sure you have enough truck for the size and weight of you new unit.

You can't have too much truck.

Jerry
Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #6

Not sure if you have a short box or not, but if so watch the back of the cab if you are cranking it hard. Thus the reason for the slider type hitches, to give you an extension to get the 5er further from the cab so you don't inadvertently open the rear sliding window in the truck (if you catch my drift). I believe it was already said but make sure the jaws or bar are fully closed around the king pin of the 5er hitch, and it's a good idea to always give it a tug test BEFORE fully retracting your landing gear. At least that way if it fails it won't drop down and crumple your truck box.