Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #1

New to me Cougar leaking

I just bought a new to me from a dealer a 2015 Cougar 313RLI, when I checked it out I found a wet spot in the bedroom closet, I confronted the salesman about it and he asked the service manager who came out with me to address my concern. He felt all around and said he thinks the wet spot was from a washing machine. I believed him and made the purchase. This past weekend I used it and it rained. When I went to bed I stepped on a wet spot and started looking around in the closet and everything was soaked. Water was dripping down from the cap. I was horrified after just buying this a day ago. The next day I called the dealer and talked to the guy who told me it wasn't leaking, he was nice and said bring it in and he would fix it. The wife and I don't trust that the inside insulation being wet will ever dry out even if the leak was fixed. I talked to the salesman and asked if they would give me back what I paid if I bought a new camper. They agreed so I am now buying a new Big Country Fifth Wheel that I wasn't going to spend this much money on, but at least I can rid myself of the leaky one.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 10:38 PM   #2

I’ll probably get slammed by others, but that is why I won’t buy used from a dealer. Too many people dump their problem trailers in on trade.

Be sure a do a thorough PDI on your Big Country. Get on the roof and look all the seals over. Have the dealer touch up anything you don’t like. Look everywhere and run everything. Don’t let them rush you. Check under every sink and feel and look for leaks. Open every cabinet and run every appliance. Run the AC/Heat Pump and furnace. Run the water pump and every faucet. Hook up to City water and check them all again. Check every plug and USB port. Take as long as you need and don’t let them rush you. Tell the dealer you want time to look it over before the PDI starts.

On my last fifth wheel purchase I rolled up with my creeper, ladder, flashlight and tools and told the guy come back in an hour and we can start the PDI. We wanted time to look it all over before going through the systems. They probably won’t like it, but they aren’t paying for it.

Enjoy your Big Country. IMO, it’s a better quality rig than the Keystone.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
I’ll probably get slammed by others, but that is why I won’t buy used from a dealer. Too many people dump their problem trailers in on trade.

Be sure a do a thorough PDI on your Big Country. Get on the roof and look all the seals over. Have the dealer touch up anything you don’t like. Look everywhere and run everything. Don’t let them rush you. Check under every sink and feel and look for leaks. Open every cabinet and run every appliance. Run the AC/Heat Pump and furnace. Run the water pump and every faucet. Hook up to City water and check them all again. Check every plug and USB port. Take as long as you need and don’t let them rush you. Tell the dealer you want time to look it over before the PDI starts.

On my last fifth wheel purchase I rolled up with my creeper, ladder, flashlight and tools and told the guy come back in an hour and we can start the PDI. We wanted time to look it all over before going through the systems. They probably won’t like it, but they aren’t paying for it.

Enjoy your Big Country. IMO, it’s a better quality rig than the Keystone.
Thanks that's good advice
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak