Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #1

Ok so here's the story...

Around mid july I placed an order for a new trailer(not from dealer stock) mainly because I wanted fiberglass side, slide out sunroom, and what they called wood plank floor(kind of a pergo thing)

Two weeks ago I was told the trailer was done and in transit. Come to find out the trailer left the factory yesterday, but the dealer says the manufacturer had a backorder on the wood floor and the sun room slide(basically 2 large skylights in the slideout), so rather than hold up the order they just filled it with linoleum floor and a regular slide.

When I ordered they were very hesitant since the fiberglass side and options would put it out of their "typical market" and they said they definetly don't want it on their lot.

Since the trailer isn't what I ordered I told the dealer I wanted my downpayment back and I would go elsewhere and buy a trailer. Needless to say that didn't go over well. They said they could cut they necessary holes in the slide roof and install the "sun room" option, if I could live with the different flooring. However, no negotiation of price was made.

The sales manager did say sometimes the confirmation of order sheet doesn't truely reflect what the trailer really is and there is a chance this one was made correctly, but that sounds fishy to me.

What do you guys think about letting them cut a hole in the roof to add the sunroom? I'm not real warm on that idea.

The whole thing sounds funny to me, almost like someone placed the order wrong, didn't follow up and just now realized the mistake. That's just my take on it though.

What do you think I should do? I welcome your thoughts.

superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #2

Ok so here's the story...

Around mid july I placed an order for a new trailer(not from dealer stock) mainly because I wanted fiberglass side, slide out sunroom, and what they called wood plank floor(kind of a pergo thing)

Two weeks ago I was told the trailer was done and in transit. Come to find out the trailer left the factory yesterday, but the dealer says the manufacturer had a backorder on the wood floor and the sun room slide(basically 2 large skylights in the slideout), so rather than hold up the order they just filled it with linoleum floor and a regular slide.

When I ordered they were very hesitant since the fiberglass side and options would put it out of their "typical market" and they said they definetly don't want it on their lot.

Since the trailer isn't what I ordered I told the dealer I wanted my downpayment back and I would go elsewhere and buy a trailer. Needless to say that didn't go over well. They said they could cut they necessary holes in the slide roof and install the "sun room" option, if I could live with the different flooring. However, no negotiation of price was made.

The sales manager did say sometimes the confirmation of order sheet doesn't truely reflect what the trailer really is and there is a chance this one was made correctly, but that sounds fishy to me.

What do you guys think about letting them cut a hole in the roof to add the sunroom? I'm not real warm on that idea.

The whole thing sounds funny to me, almost like someone placed the order wrong, didn't follow up and just now realized the mistake. That's just my take on it though.

What do you think I should do? I welcome your thoughts.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:22 PM   #3

To me it sounds like an entire load of bullsh*t. The slide-out roof must be designed and manufactured with extra bracing around the sky-lights. The floor must be installed before the slide-out is put in the opening I think. My actions from this point would be informing the selling dealer,in writing(certified letter), I was canceling the contract because they had breached it, and demand full refund of my deposit+interest with a deadline. I'd send a courtesy copy to the manufacturer and to the BBB. A letter to Highways magazine(Good Sam Club) seeking their intervention may be quite helpful, as it has to others. If the deadline passes without reimbursement, small claims court is the next step. You must get serious about this or the dealer will bully you as long as you allow it.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:54 AM   #4

Yup! Not what you ordered, you are under no obligation to accept it. Now, if you see that the flooring is maybe nicer than what you ordered, that is a different story. But, you are still under no obligation to accept something that is not what you ordered. Tell the dealer, too bad give me my money back.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:29 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Yep, if the dealer doesn't deliver what you purchased, you are under no obligation to complete the purchase.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:11 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i would to raise the BS flag
however my fiver was ordered with the china bowl and hose sprayer, originally it was a dealer install item and the factory would put it in a box so they could do it,
i was confused to say the least since all teh brochures had em installed already.
so when mine arrived, sure enough the order sheet had it listed as dealer install china toilet with sprayer, but geuss what was installed? the china bowl with sprayer, so i would wait for it to be deleivered then if its not what you specced out, then refuse and insist on your dollars back.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:26 AM   #7

Thanks guys! That is kind of what I was thinking. My BS flag is at full mast and has a grand flag ceremony to go with it

Like Ray,IN said, I too thought the "sun-room" should need extra bracing, rather than just a hole being cut.

I tried to contact the factory and ask what the he!! but I can't seem to find a contact info for them. Their website just shows floor plans, etc...

I'll keep you posted on what turns up. They say the trailer should be here today or tomorrow, but then again they also told me it shipped out weeks ago. Time will tell.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
try this link
drepaich@forestriverinc.com

i am sure she can forward your concern to the right folks, has helped me in the past
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #9
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Ya gotta love Forest River for their quality.
Never again for this member..............
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:19 PM   #10

Well dealer just called and said trailer arrived as stated on paper(not what I ordered). He said the slideouts all are "sunroom" ready and just need to be cut out. They told me there is not structural difference. I don't know if that is true or not, it's just what I was told. They did say that the floor is a tile linolieum(sp?). The sales manager says the tile is nicer looking (of course he's going to say that). I guess I'll go look at it after work and see what I think.

If I tell them to stuff it then I'm leaning toward a Keystone mountaineer, or Keystone cougar. Of course from a different dealership, but they are more money.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I think that the dealer has been, shall we say, less than candid with u. It might be in ur best interest to look elsewhere instead of chancing a repeat of his questionable(?) conduct should u have future issues........
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #12

I went and looked at it tonight. I found out that in addition to just the skylights there is a larger window in the "sunroom" option. the sales manager began to tell me that they could just cut a bigger hole in the trailer and put in a new window. I stopped him there and said no deal. Of course the usual "what can we do to make it right" followed by "we'll order another one for you. I told him no thanks I was going to another dealer and buying tonight. He asked what he could do financially and I said I don't know what can you do. He never would give me a better price, he wanted me to make the first move. So I did, I went and bought a 304BHS Keystone Cougar from a different dealership. I did all the paper work tonight and hope to pick it up late thursday or early friday.

Thanks for the replies!