Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #1

New vs Used

So, here's the scenario. I've found the floorplan that I like, with the options that I want in a new Cedar Creek 38CK2. Not only does it have the floorplan I like and the options that I want, it comes with 8K axles and 3500 pounds of cargo capacity (full timing for use). Trailair pinbox, Dexter axles and suspension, double paned windows and receiver hitch.The only downside for it is that the fresh water tank is only 67 gallons, and it comes with Westlake tires. Price is under $65k. Model year on an ordered one right now is a 2018.

Used option #1 is a 2013 Landmark Key Largo. Price would probably be around $40k after some haggling. Floor plan isn't ideal, but workable. Cargo capacity is a little lower, as is overall storage room. Unit looks like it's almost new - it's in great shape. Nearly new Goodyear tires and batteries. Missing a few options that I want, but could probably live with it. 7k axles, 100 gallon fresh water, Full body paint - while it's just looks, I ***think*** it will help retain it's resale value. While not an ideal floor plan, definitely ok for us. Negatives - single paned windows, standard pinbox, no receiver hitch.

Used option #2 is a 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS. Price is about the same as the Landmark. This is in excellent condition, but again, the floor plan isn't quite ideal. It appears to have slightly smaller storage area, a little less kitchen storage. While the floorplan is lacking a little, it does have some significant upgrades - Moryde IS with disc brakes, heavy duty triple receiver, satellite TV dish, pass thru storage slides, new Goodyear tires and three Goodyear spares, new 6V batteries, double paned windows, and a bunch of other little nice to have/convenient upgrades from an experienced long term RVer. Negatives for us - no bathroom storage to speak of, no oven, no pantry, and only partial body paint. Has the same 67 gallon fresh water tanks the new one has. My fear is that after a few more years of use, it will look a little dated and affect any resale value, should I want/need to sell.

I've done the math, and it seems that the cost of the used units is about the same as what the new one would be in a couple years of making payments, if the full amount is financed. Not saying I'd do that, but it's a figure that I use to see how the new one compares to the used one - both of these units have a ridiculous new MSRP around $100k.

I can extend the warranty of the Cedar Creek to a two year warranty for next to nothing, so if I want to use a dealer, there's that peace of mind.

With all that being said - is it worth the 25k savings to compromise on floor plan and buy a unit that's 4, almost 5 years old? I can afford either, but the thrifty part of me always looks to save a buck or two. Those of you with lot's of experience - thoughts?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Go to you tube, find rv love, video what we wish we knew when we started. It answers your big questions.
djnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
It's close but I think I would rule out the used CC and go with the new 2018 over the Landmark.

1 - 8000lb axles.
2 - Model year 2018. That's big with depreciation, if so inclined you could sell the unit at the end of the 2019 season as a 1 year old FW but have actually used it for 3 summers, and its "brand new" for 2 years.
3 - Its the floor plan an the options you want.
4 - You state that it's affordable in your case.
5 - If financing is involved the payments between the 2 wont be all that much, and you wont be making payments on a workable but not ideal floor plan

As long as the frame and build quality are up to your standards, i'd say go with new. Make sure you do a detailed PDI and make sure anything and everything found is addressed to your satisfaction BEFORE signing the final paper work.
ac5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 AM   #4

I have been full timing now for 8 years and this is only my opinion. I have had both new and used and I would NEVER buy another new unit. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation.

1) There is no such thing as an ideal floor plan. There is just plans that you like more than others.
2) Our oven has been used one time and then became storage. It did not hold temperature well and was hard to light. We use the gas cooktop and a microwave convection oven.
3) You did not mention washer / dryer in any of them. My wife considers this an option that is a must have in a full time rig. She will tell you right up front that if you think you need that space for storage you have to much crap.
4) We have single pane window and they have never been a problem. unless you intend to camp in cold climates. We do not. We left Michigan for Texas because we never want to be in snow again. And if it gets to hot we move. We founded the 50/85 club. If it gets below 50 head south. If it gets over 85 head north. Our house has wheels.
5) Unless you plan to do a lot of boondocking the 67 gal. fresh water tank is fine. We only travel with enough water to flush the toilet if we are on the road. If you need more it just takes a little planning.
6) We have the 17.5" tires and they are great. They are a plus and a great addition.

Like I said just my opinion. Good luck with your search.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #5

I bought my CC last year this month... our 1st RV. I did not want to take the hit on the first year depreciation. I figured I could fix a lot of stuff (if needed) for far less than the depreciation amount. So far the only repair was a $40.00 Dirt Devil relay. Also, part of my reasoning was that if we don't like it, or the RV traveling aspect of it, we should be able to get out without too much of a "financial hit". Turns out we love the trailer and traveling with it! My business vehicles...I buy new. I can write them off. Personal vehicles I buy slightly used. I can pay less.

You asked for opinions so... I like our CC and it looks like you found a nice one. The IS/Disc Brake upgrade is HUGE!

FYI I paid $42.5 for my used 2014 last year and added toppers, disc brakes, GooseBox, EMS and a trav"lr antenna. I think you have found a nice deal.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #6

Thanks for the input, guys! Appreciate the words of wisdom.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #7

" . . . . is it worth the 25k savings to compromise on floor plan and buy a unit that's 4, almost 5 years old?" . . . First off only you can answer that question.

As others have said, there is no such thing as a perfect trailer. We can come close but everything is a compromise. We just bought a new 2017 Montana, and that is the first time in 30+ years of camping that we have bought new. We took a long time, because in past trailers we would quickly see the "WOW!!" factor, and say we need this. All to often overlooking a lot of other important details.

New is nice, and we had the attitude that this would be our last trailer ever, (maybe, but maybe not), so let's get what we really want. Also we are about a month away from a 3 to 4 month cross country trip, and wanted to be as comfortable and reliable as we possibly could. So for us this was worth the extra $$ just for piece of mind.

If we were going to spend the majority of our remaining travel time in the flatlands of SC, GA, FL than we may have gone in a different direction.

Understand what your needs and wants are, make as educated decision as you can, and then don't look back. Go enjoy Life.
Pete Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #8

Well, the last time I looked at a Cedar Creek was in December, while on a factory tour. Since then I have looked at a ton of Rvs. Today, I drove the two hours to a dealer and refreshed my memory. Not sure what caused the perspective change, but I'm glad I did look again before ordering. Lets just say I'm not willing to part with the extra money for it anymore. Gonna be a used unit for me, whatever that may be.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #9

Before you buy, check the frame where the spring hangers are welded to the frame. If you see any cracks in that area it will be an expensive or intensive labor repair . Look closely at the lower part of the I beam . I had to reinforce mine with 3/8 x6''x3''x6 foot piece of angle iron .
Old 03-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
As far as I can tell the Cedar Creek 38CK2 is floorplan is identical to our old 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon; now the Landmark 365 Oshkosh (similar). I had double pane windows and Trail air pin box, full body paint. The full body paint does resell better....

If you can find a used Grand Canyon it would be near the price of some of the other used units you are looking at....

I upgraded my suspension to larger leaf springs with Dexter EZ-Flex but the 7000lb LCI axles were limiting. The 8000lb Dexter axles are nice. Everything else can be easily changed out - pin box etc.

I always buy used RVs in private sales, bought the 2011 Landmark in 2012 for half MSRP (9 months old, 104 MSRP, paid 52). Sold for 45 in 2015. Be aware that warranties are usually not transferable to second owner. That was OK for me as I do all of my own repair/mods work.

I loved the Landmark; simply moved to a Class A DP.

Good luck.
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #11

Buy used for all the reasons given above. If you are gonna full time buy a quality used rig. There are only a few brands built to hold up for full timing and none that will do it without a steady stream of repairs and replacement parts. Forget the floor plan, check the frame, the axles the craftsmanship and the quality of construction. Tires, top of the line 17.5 inch H rated at least. Look at the roof, rubber or TPO is OK if well maintained, leaks are the biggest and most common serious problem for trailers. They will cause a lot of damage if unchecked. If you plan on any winter weather insulation is very very important unless you want to burn 40 lbs of propane a day you need good insulation and double pane windows. If you follow my rule, SOUTH OF I 4 IN WINTER, NORTH OF I 80 IN SUMMER then it's not that important. We don't full time but we spend 5 months a year in ours and have for 16 years. My first one was a Cardinal, they called it a full time rig, not hardly. The mobile suites is a stout trailer but even so it requires maintaining on a regular basis. Petersen is well built and right now I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the other true full time brands. Hope this helps.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:54 AM   #12

My gosh, I have a quiet smile and count my blessings,, I bought used and was really a blind buyer. I had no knowledge of this web site and the amazing amount of information available here from experienced RV'ers . Thanks everybody.
I have an HR 5er 07 37 footer, full timing for a year and a half. Luckily I've had NO issues to deal with.
The things mentioned above are so important, thinking back when purchasing my rig I had no clue of all the things to look for or ask. My inspection was only a bit more than kicking the tires HA! actually I started the generator and operated the electrical equipment, no water investigation , but checked the furnace ,stove and a/c's. That's it. Scary huh ?
Getting thru winters ok just south of I-80,propane is 3 to 4 gallons /day kept at 68 F inside.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #13

Once you have disc brakes you'll never go back
Kaneman 357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought a new RV because I was a novice and knew nothing about what it would take to repair one. I thought I needed the warranty to fall back on, but I never used the warranty.

Now that I have almost 6 years experience I wouldn't consider anything but a 2-4 year old gently used RV -- that is if I ever wear this one out. I wouldn't trade unless this one dies. It took me a long time to adapt this one to suit us. It would be hard to start over.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote