Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2023, 08:02 PM   #1

Newb owner waste water question.

Picked up my new Keystone Cougar 23MLE a couple weeks ago and we're going to be using it soon. I've watched a lot of videos on dumping wastes but I don't think my question has been addressed in any of them.

My trailer is under 28' but the black and gray dumps are well separated. The bathroom and black dump are forward while the kitchen and gray dump is aft.

Would you dump the black and then move the slinky to dump the gray? If so, would you then move it back to the black or just leave it there until the next dump? Seems like it would always be a good idea to chase the black with gray.

I also notice in most of the setup videos that they setup the slinky right away but I'm guessing you don't need to do that for at least a couple days right? I wouldn't think you'd be arriving with Full tanks unless you'd been boondocks a while.
Squantobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2023, 08:11 PM   #2

I have seen a few setups that run both dump fittings to a Y fitting and then to the dump pipe.

They uses at least 3 hoses but it's good for longer stays.

Most times the black tank will last 2 or 3 gray tan dumps, unless your shower runs in the black tank.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:29 PM   #3

I would always dump some gray water to coat the stinky before dumping all the black tank then dump the rest of the gray tank to semi clean the stinky.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:45 PM   #4

Buy an RV Sewer Hose 'Y' adapter and another length of sewer hose

Then you can set up with 'Y' at the sewer connection
OR
Set up closer to the RV

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 02:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I would always dump some gray water to coat the stinky before dumping all the black tank
Makes sense. Lube it up a bit to keep it from getting constipated. Or maybe spraying some fresh water in before connecting.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:35 PM   #6

I have a similar setup to the one you’ve described. I don’t hook up a dump hose until it’s time to empty one of the tanks. As someone pointed out, more than likely you will fill your gray tank a couple of times before your black unless something else drains into it like a bathroom sink or washing machine.

Since my gray and black tanks are split, I don’t rinse my hose out by switching it to the gray tank, but instead I’ll use the built in black tank flush to run plenty of water through it to make sure it’s as clean as it can be.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
I would always dump some gray water to coat the stinky before dumping all the black tank then dump the rest of the gray tank to semi clean the stinky.
Never heard this before! Sounds like a myth to me.

Plus, in the split dumps described in the OP putting some grey down the hose then move it to black, then back to grey seems like a huge unnecessary hassle.

I believe most sewer dump problems originate from improper use that leads to excessive solids at the point of dumping. Judicious use of toilet paper and not dumping the black tank until close to full helps a lot.
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 03:04 PM   #8

I don't run around and hook up my drain hoses when I first set up. I prefer to keep them out of the sun and harms way until I need to use them. On longer stays I shove the disconnected and capped hoses under my coach where they are relatively safe. I often do rinse the drain hose out with the grey water after dumping the black tank but this doesn't satisfy me so I use one of these to rinse the hose(s) well before storing them away:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22999-R...274484597&th=1
I did have one hose damaged by the young son of a campground owner while the young man was running a weed trimmer a little too close to my hoses. He saw what he did and came and told me and said he was sorry. I could see he was sincere so I told him it was OK, I had another hose. About an hour later the CG owner showed up at my door with a brand new hose of better quality than the one I had. I thanked him and he thanked me for being understanding of the situation.
Old 04-17-2023, 04:51 PM   #9

I measured and the 2 are 12' apart. I think I'll just move the hose back and forth for a while.

But I think I've figured out a better solution. How's this sound?

I plumb from gray drain to the top of the black tank with a small pump. That would allow me to flush the gray tank through the black system and never have to move the hose.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantobon View Post
I measured and the 2 are 12' apart. I think I'll just move the hose back and forth for a while.

I plumb from gray drain to the top of the black tank with a small pump. That would allow me to flush the gray tank through the black system and never have to move the hose.
i have two drains on mine, one for the main bath grey and black and a rear one for the kitchen grey and 1/2 bath black. i always hook up as soon as i get to a site because the front drain is under my slide and it takes all of a couple seconds to do with the slide in vs crawling under the slide when its out. my routine runs like this: back in, plug in the power cord (landing gear is 2x faster with shore power), unhook the truck, hit auto level and hook up water, cable and sewer, then run the slides out then turn on the water. in the summer i always leave the a/c units on so when i throw the breaker they start before im inside and it gives the a/c a head start.

as far as your sewer hose, just buy a 3 piece set at camping world or order one on amazon. its way less risky hooking it up and leaving it hooked up until you can get it flushed out. if you flush your black, then unhook it to walk it to your grey, you know at some point its going to get dropped, then youll have a big mess on your hands. just buy the 3 hose setup and be done with it. adding a pump is way over complicating things, just let gravity do its job, it takes seconds to hook up a bayonet fitting and a pump will be way more expensive than a y hose setup. i think theyre 60$ at cw.
john1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 07:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Quote:
Makes sense. Lube it up a bit to keep it from getting constipated. Or maybe spraying some fresh water in before connecting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee325 View Post
Never heard this before! Sounds like a myth to me.

Plus, in the split dumps described in the OP putting some grey down the hose then move it to black, then back to grey seems like a huge unnecessary hassle.

I believe most sewer dump problems originate from improper use that leads to excessive solids at the point of dumping. Judicious use of toilet paper and not dumping the black tank until close to full helps a lot.
Dumping a little grey FIRST is to check for leaks at connections
Less messy then to discover leak when dumping black
Nothing to do with 'coating/lubing' the sewer hose
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 12:50 PM   #12

Quote:

You are way overthinking a simple process.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
You are way overthinking a simple process.
Certainly wouldn't be the first time. It's kind of a thing with me. But that's how inventors are.

Tags
water