RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2021, 09:41 PM   #1

Newbie Hitch Question

Brand new here and to Fifth Wheel RVing. We have a Montana 3120RL currently being built. It is supposed to be completed around the end of February. While we wait, we are trying to get ready.

Last week, we traded in our 2018 F-150 and bought a 2019 F-350 Longbed. According to Ford, it was built with a factory installed Fifth Wheel/Goosneck Prep Package. There is an integrated Brake Controller in the dash and The RV Electrical Plug in the bed of the truck.

Here is my question...

The five holes in the bed of the truck look like they may be missing something. Please take a look at these pictures and give me your opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF8819AB-8039-42DE-A22D-896566639DEC.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	314460   Click image for larger version

Name:	3073E47B-21DE-48A5-A1D1-3039CBA775DD.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	750.6 KB
ID:	314461  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FBD6E854-D63C-4AD2-BFBD-5BC9FBA01D92.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	807.9 KB
ID:	314462  
Jcanup42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #2

You definitely are missing the mount.
jtobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcanup42 View Post
Brand new here and to Fifth Wheel RVing. We have a Montana 3120RL currently being built. It is supposed to be completed around the end of February. While we wait, we are trying to get ready.

Last week, we traded in our 2018 F-150 and bought a 2019 F-350 Longbed. According to Ford, it was built with a factory installed Fifth Wheel/Goosneck Prep Package. There is an integrated Brake Controller in the dash and The RV Electrical Plug in the bed of the truck.

Here is my question...

The five holes in the bed of the truck look like they may be missing something. Please take a look at these pictures and give me your opinions.
Holy Crap, the heavy steel plate that bolts to the frame is not there. Uhh, that needs to go back to the dealer..........as in Yesterday.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:43 PM   #4

Agree there are pieces missing. It is an easy fix as heavy duty pieces will mount to the frame. But why missing as that is really bad.

And just an FYI - the big center will be for a gooseneck hitch and the 4 outside smaller holes will be for a standard 4 point attaching 5th wheel hitch. In 2012 Ford teamed with Reese hitch to build a Reese Elite hitch that fit the 'pucks' and a mechanism would be turned to lock it into place. I had this on my 2012 F-450.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:06 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum. I wish your first post would be generating some happier answers. They will most likely lift the bed to install the innards. Not too big of a deal but expensive if you are paying for it.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:26 AM   #6

I think the OP is owed the hitch mount. Does Ford pre-bore their beds if the truck doesn't get the hitch mount? I know Ram doesn't because I had to bore my own.

As for a hitch, I think all the manufactures are onboard with the puck system. B&W makes a great hitch that connects to it. They are made in the USA and are very robust. Another plus is you can see the connecting jaws and know the pin is locked at a glance.
TMyers17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #7

++ on the B&W Companion after you get the mount plate.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMyers17 View Post
I think the OP is owed the hitch mount. Does Ford pre-bore their beds if the truck doesn't get the hitch mount? I know Ram doesn't because I had to bore my own.

As for a hitch, I think all the manufactures are onboard with the puck system. B&W makes a great hitch that connects to it. They are made in the USA and are very robust. Another plus is you can see the connecting jaws and know the pin is locked at a glance.
If the 5th wheel prep is not ordered the box is not drilled for it. Either the hitch mount was removed or the bed was replaced with another after a possible accident.
Urban350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMyers17 View Post

Just realize the the hole alignments are apparently different between manufacturers.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #10

Check the window sticker.
In the lower left, with the list of options, you are looking for "5th wheel hitch prep package" it was a $500 option on the 2020.

If the sticker or invoice lists the prep package, then the truck was ordered with the prep package.
If the sticker or invoice do not list the option, it wasn't ordered.

You definitely need a few more pieces to mount a hitch in the bed.
Tim_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:08 PM   #11

So, i went to the dealership today and they sent me to the Ford Truck Repair Center. Yep, the huge plate that mounts to the frame, between the frame and the truck bed is not there. We also noticed that the bolts that hold the bed onto the truck are upside down (the nuts are on top of the bed) indicating that the bed most likely has been removed before.

They are trying to locate the part and schedule the repair of the truck. I gave them one week or else I want to return the truck for my money back. I paid cash for the truck. We will see what they do.

Thanks for all your comments. They helped me get to the bottom of this fiascos.
Jcanup42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:43 AM   #12

Somebody at Ford must have had "a better idea"
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It went missing during "dealer prep" and some guy has the expensive stuff in his truck!

Truck bed bolts upside down tell me the box was removed for some reason. I would be curious why. Not very likely a build error. Please check your build sheet and make sure that truck was built with the tow package complete. Maybe the dealer swapped it at some point with another truck. The box would not have the pre-drilled holes without the package.

Is this a previously owned truck? You might have to find out about the owner and get it taken care of.

Please let us know how this turns out.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would definitely be concerned that the bed on the truck you bought is not the original bed and was replaced after an accident or some other damage. I’m assuming that you are not the original owner since it’s a 2019. I would start with a carfax report and check for an accident. If it was involved in an accident or other damage requiring a bed replacement, I would then have the frame inspected by someone who knows what they’re doing.
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, newbie