Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #1

KZ RV Club
Newbie mistake Brakes end up smoking

I hate to admit to this, but wanted some info on the potential damage I may have caused. I am staying at an rv park in Fayetteville AR and my daughter asked us to watch her house for about 10 days. To save on weekly rate we decided to park 5er outside daughters home and just leave heater on.

Pulling out of rv park I must have turned to sharp and the breakaway came loose engaging trailer brakes. The trailer is a KZ Durango 380FLF 2019 with gross of 16K. I pull with a 2018 F350 SRW. Long story short i pulled trailer about 6 miles upto 60mph. A passing motorist motioned to pull over and I did and the brakes were smoking.
I thought things felt like it was pulling different, but it wasnt taking extreme effort to pull at one point truck upshifted to 6th.

I quickly pulled over after checking everything i saw breakaway plunger laying in truck bed. I reinserted then drove less than 1 mile exited highway and pulled into large parking lot. I let things cool for 15 minutes then drove 2 miles to my daughters place.

What would some experienced folks recommend that i have checked. Do i need to have brakes checked and or wheel bearings.

I feel dumb enough and already beat myself up about not catchibg this sooner. Since getting 5er last july i noticed the brakes didnt feel strong enough to stop trailer with gain at 10. It kind of convinces me that i should upgrade to disk once Im back around home rv park in DFW area. I may have to wait awhile due to the cost.

Regards
Ron
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #2

Don't beat yourself up to badly. Things happen. At least their was no wreck. Have all wheel bearings and brakes checked out. Make sure you repack the bearings. Good luck.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #3

YEP^^^^
Need to pull drums and inspect shoes for glazing/damage, scoring of drum, check magnets for bluing/excessive wear/non-flat surface and wire damage PLUS pull bearings and inspect for bluing/overheating----new grease and SEALS
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #4

I would bet your at least in for new drums and shoes :( Might be a good time to check on disc brake conversion.

Dave
Old 01-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #5

KZ RV Club

Where should I take trailer to have brakes and bearings checked? I’m a cancer survivor but have had right shoulder and left hip replaced so no longer able to handle myself. Trailer shop or truck/trailer? We live in it full time so would like to work it out the same day. Any idea as to expected costs? Thanks for all assistance
Ron
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #6

Pretty much exact same thing happened to me and I went about 5 or 6 miles as well. I had to replace the drums and bearings but you'll have to take a look to be certain
rubanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #7

Just convert to disc. By the time you are done paying to fix everything you will spend about the same money. If handy you can install yourself for more then 1300 to 1500. Another 800 to 1000 to have installed . No magnets no wiring no problems . You will stop much better.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #8

Find a 'trailer shop'.....NOT a RV Dealer

No idea on cost...????
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Find a 'trailer shop'.....NOT a RV Dealer
This^^^^^^

Have it all torn down and inspected by a trailer repair facility. If the Spindles are scorched it's pretty much a rip and replace all. Disc would be the way to go at that point.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club

You may have already had grease on the brake shoes from a blown seal before all this happened. That may have been why you felt braking was weak even with a 10 setting. This happens more often than you think from over greasing the Ez-Lube feature for the bearings. If you add grease, use only a pump or two on the gun and make sure the trailer axle is jacked up enough so you can rotate the tire while adding grease.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #11

Forget the cost of the brakes.... that's nothing compared to what you are going to MAKE when you sell this story to Ford! "The truck is so powerful that I didn't even realize the trailer brakes were on!" I can picture the ad already

The guys here have you well covered with your question. I just wanted to chime in and tell you we've all done things like this before. I've driven off with jacks down, backed into things and probably worse that I've purposely forgotten. For some reason I keep coming back for more
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #12

Just get ahold of a mobile repairman to check and inspect your brakes. Most RV parks should be able to recommend a mobile repairman that can do the job on your RV site without moving.
Whether you have drum or disc brakes, these things happen and both brake types would need to be inspected after a incident like that. Most likely, only 1 or 2 of your brakes were dragging and the other ones will be fine. If all 4 of your brakes were locked, you would not have moved very far, Ford or no Ford.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #13

Brake Repair

First if you go with the mobile repair.

CHECK WITH RV PARK HOW BIG OF A REPAIR CAN HAVE DONE.

Some only allow small or emergency work
retiredusps6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
If the brakes were "locked" would the wheels still turn, would the tires be locked and dragging? I would think that if they were, they would have caught fire before 6 miles or blew out.

Tags
brake, brakes, newbie