Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2020, 04:29 PM   #1

Newbie with a question about Rockwood 2889WS durability

Hello everyone,

I have been researching a future fifth wheel and I am finding the Rockwood 2889 WS due to the floorplan, the size and weight. My question is are there any owners who have this model and are they willing to share their experiences with their tailler good and bad?

Lastly, I am 6'6" tall and I am hoping someone can let me know about the headroom in the bathroom and bedroom?

Thank you in advance for any information!

Take good care,
Yogi
yogitrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #2

I am looking for my 4th trailer RV. Flagstaff/Rockwood are high on my list. They at least start out solid so I feel they will stay solid longer than other trailers.

I am looking at their travel trailers. One thing I do not like about their 5th wheels is they are so tall at 13'2". My last 5th wheel was 12' 6" tall and it was kinda hairy getting into some State Parks with low hanging branches. Also at 12'6" I would hit a utility line as the line would be moving after I went under it.

That is why I want a travel trailer...just easier to tow where there are low hanging obstacles.

At 6'6" tall you might have trouble standing up in the bedroom as it looks short. That is not a full profile 5th wheel. It has a north/south bed is one indication it is not a full profile. I watched a video and the bedroom ceiling looked low.

You might need to move up to the Rockwood Signature Line of 5th wheels to get a full profile (taller bedroom ceiling). These 5th wheels will have a east/west bed in the slide. These are their top line of 5th wheels and will have slide covers and an awning protector aluminum cover.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard

You may find helpful information from the top MENU under OWNERS FORUM for the 5th wheel questions. We would enjoy knowing what and when you find your RV. Lots of helpful and well-informed folks here to help or you may find some you would like to help in time.

Welcome
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:56 PM   #4

I'm 6'4" and RVs just aren't built for tall guys. At 6'6" it's just always going to be a struggle to some extent. I agree the full profile high end units will have more headroom but as pointed out you're then having to really watch out for things as you drive.

As for Rockwood I'd have no problem owning one but do keep in mind that they are pretty cheaply made. All of the RVs at this price point use very lightweight and cheap materials compared to stick built houses and are not intended to be lived in full-time. As long as you're expectations are within reason you should be fine.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #5

Nothing against tall guys other than playing basketball against them ...ouch the elbows.

But I am not 6'0" tall and my elbows touch in the shower of my RV when I wash my hair.

For a guy that is 6'6" they do make a bigger shower but I forget what brand. It might be the 1942 Columbus 5th wheels.

None of the Rockwood/Flagstaff trailers have a big shower. They are just big enough for me.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #6

Thank you for your thoughts!!!

Have a great day!
yogi
Old 06-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #7

Thanks for taking the time to reply...

DO you have any options that you would recommend over the rockwood?

Cheers,
Yogi
Old 06-29-2020, 05:30 AM   #8

Have you looked at any 5th wheels yet? You really need to walk on a few to see which ones will fit you.

No, I do not have any other options. I know the Columbus 5th wheels are nicer than the Rockwood. Jayco makes an expensive Pinnacle model that has a walk in shower.

Here is a 2.5 minute video of that walk in shower.

https://youtu.be/LmzplAWUQDk
Old 07-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #9

You think about a travel trailer. I just was looking at Winnebago Voyage travel trailers and they advertise a 7' ceiling even in the bedroom. You can also get a king sized bed it you want one.

If you have a 250/2500 series truck you can tow most of the Winnebago Voyage line of travel trailers.

Tags