Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #15

Day 1: Navarre, FL to Decatur AL- 327 miles-5 hrs 27 mins
Decatur (Alabama ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews

Decatur AL to Scott AFB IL--401.7 miles - 5 hrs 46 mins
Scott AFB (Illinois ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews

Day 3: Scott AFB, IL to Knob Noster, MO- 233 miles- 3 hrs 35 mins
There isn't an RV Park on Whiteman, but there is one called
Knob Noster" just to the west of base. It is a DoD facility: Knob Noster (Missouri ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews

Day 4: Knob Noster, MO to Offutt AFB, NE- 246 miles- 4 hrs (Friends here)
Offutt AFB (Nebraska ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews (It's got a LAKE!)

Day 5: Offutt AFB to RV Park in Chamberlain, SD- 330 miles- 4 hrs 45 mins
Chamberlain (South Dakota ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews

Day 6: Chamberlain, SD to Broadus, MT- 355 miles- 5 hrs 14 mins
Broadus (Montana ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews

Day 7: Broadus, MT to Great Falls MT- 383 miles- 5 hrs 49 mins
slepe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineback View Post
The times are not realistic. You can not drive 403 miles in 6 hours pulling the 5th wheel. Someone mentioned above that they average 50mph with fuel stops, etc. I find this is a realistic number as well. The 400 mile trip will likely be 8 hours. Same for the rest of your time. I think you need to adjust your times to be about 25% more, i.e. 6 hours becomes 8 and 4 hours becomes 5.

Enjoy your trip and most of all be safe.

Tom
Thanks Tom.

I'm actually trying to pay more attention to miles than hours on the info above.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #17

If that B&W 5th wheel adapter is a gooseneck adapter, be advised that a gooseneck adapter on a 5th wheel has a tendency to break the frame of the trailer. Do some reading about that by searching gooseneck adapters...

Take your time and enjoy the trip!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #18

take two spares for the camper. The voice of experience. Also one of the drive on wedge shaped thingys for changing the flat ; no jacking needed! I made my own
Old 05-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #19

Just a suggestion, keep your plans flexible and allow an extra couple of days. Fatigued driving is just as dangerous as drunk driving, in many ways, and remember you are driving a seven ton load.

Allow some time for your family to enjoy the trip, also. Your son will have a good memory of what it was like instead of the memory of the worst five days of his life
UncleRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
If that B&W 5th wheel adapter is a gooseneck adapter, be advised that a gooseneck adapter on a 5th wheel has a tendency to break the frame of the trailer. Do some reading about that by searching gooseneck adapters...

Tim
You trying to scare me?

Here's what I have: Companion 5th Fifth Wheel Hitch | B & W Trailer Hitches

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to me doing a lot of reading prior to hooking up for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
take two spares for the camper. The voice of experience. Also one of the drive on wedge shaped thingys for changing the flat ; no jacking needed! I made my own
GREAT TIP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRich View Post
Just a suggestion, keep your plans flexible and allow an extra couple of days. Fatigued driving is just as dangerous as drunk driving, in many ways, and remember you are driving a seven ton load.

Allow some time for your family to enjoy the trip, also. Your son will have a good memory of what it was like instead of the memory of the worst five days of his life
I couldn't agree more. If things get shady, I'll pull into the nearest WalMart.

I'm "retired". Flexibility is my main goal. After 22 yrs active duty (13 yrs special operations) I'm ready to live my life one day at a time!

We have the fly rods & fishing poles ready to go. Goal: HAVE FUN GETTING THERE!

It'll be interesting to see America on MY timeline and dollar!

Thanks again, and if you can think of anything else, please chime in! Great stuff!
Old 05-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post

Tim
Found this:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/5th-w...ck-177830.html

Assume you meant converting the trailer to gooseneck, right? I think Im good to go.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepe67 View Post
You trying to scare me?

Here's what I have: Companion 5th Fifth Wheel Hitch | B & W Trailer Hitches
Perfect!

And, yes...when you said "adapter" I thought you meant adapter to go from 5th wheel to gooseneck.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #23

As several have mentioned, you will have a hard time averaging 50mph from start to stop each day...take your time and make it fun, not a race.
Double check the tires--age?
And the Companion is virtually unbeatable as a quality, simple hitch.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #24

Hey, guys,

Let's give SLEPE67 some slack - he's now retired military. If he's anything like my dad when he retired after nearly 30 years, he has yet to adjust to civilian life. With time, he'll learn to slow things down a little, and to relax and enjoy more.

When "we" retired in 1963 (that means our whole family), we left Ft. McPherson in Atlanta and drove to Dallas - in one day; five kids, Mom and Dad all packed into a 1956 Buick Super. Remember that in 1963 speed limits were 60mph and gas mileage was about 12mpg. Dad drove 5mph under the speed limits and stopped only for lunch and to fill up - no other reasons allowed.

After each fill-up he was very focused on getting back on the road as quickly as possible. Following one fuel stop in Alabama, after driving 1/2 hour he noticed Mom wasn't in the car; he had left her back there! Needless to say, she was just a little upset when we got back. All he thought about was the schedule. Later in life, we actually took biological stops and stayed in motels. So, maybe with time our new friend too will learn the RVers' way.

Enjoy your new life and good luck to you and your family, SLEPE67.
peggwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #25

Rexhall Owners Group
First and most important : Thank you for your service !!
Second, I agree with the cautions on the long driving days. Driving a big vehicle and / or towing is hard work. 350 miles in my class A and i'm beat.
Third, consider your kid and aim for a few campgrounds with swimming pools, and play equipment to break up the trip.
Last, I like to use the U.S. 231, to I-65 north route. There is a nice KOA in Ozark , Al.( they have long pull through spots, and I have seen big fifth wheels there) and the Jellystone Park on Music Valley Drive in Nashville, Tn is also fun. ( with tours of Nashville ) if that's your kind of thing.
Safe Travels,
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Hey, guys,

Let's give SLEPE67 some slack - he's now retired military. If he's anything like my dad when he retired after nearly 30 years, he has yet to adjust to civilian life. With time, he'll learn to slow things down a little, and to relax and enjoy more.

When "we" retired in 1963 (that means our whole family), we left Ft. McPherson in Atlanta and drove to Dallas - in one day; five kids, Mom and Dad all packed into a 1956 Buick Super. Remember that in 1963 speed limits were 60mph and gas mileage was about 12mpg. Dad drove 5mph under the speed limits and stopped only for lunch and to fill up - no other reasons allowed.

After each fill-up he was very focused on getting back on the road as quickly as possible. Following one fuel stop in Alabama, after driving 1/2 hour he noticed Mom wasn't in the car; he had left her back there! Needless to say, she was just a little upset when we got back. All he thought about was the schedule. Later in life, we actually took biological stops and stayed in motels. So, maybe with time our new friend too will learn the RVers' way.

Enjoy your new life and good luck to you and your family, SLEPE67.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
First and most important : Thank you for your service !!
Second, I agree with the cautions on the long driving days. Driving a big vehicle and / or towing is hard work. 350 miles in my class A and i'm beat.
Third, consider your kid and aim for a few campgrounds with swimming pools, and play equipment to break up the trip.
Last, I like to use the U.S. 231, to I-65 north route. There is a nice KOA in Ozark , Al.( they have long pull through spots, and I have seen big fifth wheels there) and the Jellystone Park on Music Valley Drive in Nashville, Tn is also fun. ( with tours of Nashville ) if that's your kind of thing.
Safe Travels,
Bob
No slack required! I came in here to ask folks who do this a lot.

Ask an honest question, get an honest answer! I like it!

We wont be making a Griswold's trip (I hope), but it should be pretty fun. A couple 400 mile days...my wife & son will be in tow in a decent size SUV, with all the bells and whistles; we'll stay in contact via walkie talkie. They take frequent 7 hour trips to see family in Tampa. They'll be ok.

I'll be riding solo in my F250. Should be a nice trip.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #27

Slepe67, you've got a good setup for that trip. I am AF as well and will be retiring to Great Falls within the next 2 years (currently at WrightPatt). My wife and I just made the round trip from Ohio - Deadwood SD - Great Falls - Missoula - Ohio about two months ago. Its easy going until SD. The grade on the hills increases a bit in size and frequency. Watch your trans temp! However, we had no problems and absolutely loved the drive but kept the mph down to a reasonable level. Personally, I would allow (as you said) for some flexibility along the way. Perhaps an additional couple days. Enjoy your trip and reconnecting with old buddies.
Good luck!
Your fellow AF brother.
usafmsgt7594 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing