RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #1

NHTSA 11363266: 2016 Primetime Crusader slide bracket cutting groove in tire.

The right side rear tire rubs on the slide out flooring and the slide out cross member (including mounting bolts/nuts) and slide out end bracket.

The unit was manufactured with insufficient clearance to prevent tire rubbing. The tire rubbing has caused damage to tires and is destined to instigate catastrophic tire failure while going down the highway.

The clearances are insufficient to prevent contact when he suspension is compressed from normal highway bumps.

I have pictures attached that clearly show three contact points where the tire has rubbed the finish 1- off of the steel members, 2-physically wearing away the nuts and bolts, and 3-is wearing a hole in the slide out flooring in multiple wheel locations.

The end bracket cut a groove in a tire and was luckily noticed prior to catastrophic failure on the highway. It was deemed not repairable by Discount Tire and thusly replaced.

After installing the OEM spare tire I applied some touch up paint to the rubbing locations we completed one short trip. The paint was once again rubbed off as it makes contact with the tire. This design needs to be recognized as a safety issue and rectified by the manufacturer. I suspect it has caused numerous catastrophic tire failures and initially blamed on the tire manufacturers. OEM tires are towmax power king. I replaced with Goodyear endurance.

Primetime had an identical issue in a 2014 315 model with identical wear points. An NHTSA recall was ordered with a lift kit to be installed that remedied the clearance issues. 2014 prime time 315 NHTSA 14v-140. A recall was ordered and a lift kit installed.

I have contacted the manufacturer in good faith. They say it is outside of the manufacturers 12 month warranty period.

I do not believe a safety issue is excluded from the manufacturers responsibility.

I recommend you check your Primetime crusader for identical rubbing issues. Please reply or contact me with a private message. I have received comments from others in a short time with the issue.

I filled out the NHTSA complaint on the Primetime trailers having issues with the slide brackets and steel square tube cutting and destroying tires. I also pointed out Primetime already has an accepted and closed NHTSA recall that covers only one unit and paid for a kit and installation.

Please go to the NHTSA web site to see the actual complaint.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=11363266

If you have experienced this issue, or have looked underneath the slides of your Prime Time Trailer and see the rubbing marks, please start another complaint. Its easy and free. Go to the web site https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Please reference my complaint number 11363266 in the text so that the issue gets noticed and linked as a repetitive issue. The earlier issue had 3 complaints and the recall was ordered.

If we can demonstrate a continued issue then the NHTSA may force a recall, possibly get your trailer fixed or possibly get you a reimbursement if you had already done repairs to remedy the flawed design.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20200928_152221068.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	305003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200731_092121.jpg
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	305004  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20200928_152154368.jpg
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	305005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200731_092205.jpg
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	305006  

RK-2198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #2

Could you post a pic of your suspension leaf springs, and shackles, since they may have installed the wrong length shackles.
Also, have you had this unit since new, and just now noticing it was damaging the tires.
I had a similar issue, and changed the shackles, equalizers, and installed Lippert Correct Track, and did not have time to wait on recalls to be scheduled.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #3

I'll take some pictures tomorrow when i get back to the storage lot.

I did a quick inspection before as I will need a lift. The correct track is one of my options. The other is a 2x6" beam welded in below the frame and reattach the hanger shackles.
The springs and axles still have positive camber. Neither are flattened out. I dont have the boot collar type shackles, so a correct track will work. Probably put in a Morryde cre3000 equalizer and 1 (maybe three) x factor beams on the hangers.

The OEM tires rubbed, but at that time I thought it from the axles twisting while backing. I changed them out after hearing about blowout issues. Replaced the tires with Goodyear Endurance. The slide bracked started rubbing that tire too, but once again I thought it was scuffing from backing.

Only when I had the nail removed and the tire shop refused to fix did i start looking for rubbing.

If you dont mind, please fill out a NHTSA complaint referencing my complaint number. I suspect you will get reimbursed for parts and lablor if we get a recall approved.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #4

My issue was with another brand.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #5

Today's update.

No new updates on the NHTSA complaint.
No update today frome Primetime when I asked if my tire clearance was ok why is it cutting tires? Crickets.

The spring hangers were checked for the length to the pin box. They are equal within a 1/16". So my concern with a skewed suspension was not correct. This is good.

The 2" lift is going in to remidy the tire cutting issues . I see no way around this. I also added the Morryde CRE 3000 equalizer and a new set of springs to replace the oem dexter. The Morryde equalizer should add a bit of a softer ride. I am having them install the Morryde wet bolt bolts and shackles kit. The shackles in this kit are twice as thick as the oem.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:48 PM   #6

Are the shackles on the ends - away from the CRE - in the lower holes? That change will lift the trailer by an inch or so.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:06 AM   #7

Lower holes?
The shackles in the Morryde wet kit only have the one hole on each end. My spring hangers only have one hole as well.

From the cre diagram it looks like the proper install is to have the shackles extending up from the cre. I guess you could get a lift if you positioned the shackles down from the cre, but I don't think it is designed to work this way?

Thanks if you can help me figure this out.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #8

A thought just occurred to me while reading this. Is it possible that your shackles are flipped over? I remember once while greasing the rig I used the Big Foot to lift it so I could check the wheel bearings. To save time instead of lifting one side at a time I lifted just with the back jacks to get both sides off the ground at once. Bad idea. The shackles flipped over and it was a fight to get them back to the correct position without disassembling them. I ended up jamming a short pry bar into the space with the spring and against the ground and let the weight of the rig flip it back when I lowered the rig.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
The shackles flipped over and it was a fight to get them back to the correct position without disassembling them. I ended up jamming a short pry bar into the space with the spring and against the ground and let the weight of the rig flip it back when I lowered the rig.
FWIW, there’s a way easier way to flip a shackle. Put a jack under the axle that is not flipped and raise it until the other pops back in place. Makes a loud bang, but works.

My Crusader will sometimes flip a shackle if I raise wheels off the ground when I level. It is annoying but I deal with it.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #10

Interesting thought. I did not notice it as flipped but it is already repaired.

Neither did the company that added my lift kit and new equalizer and springs.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #11

Be sure and re torque your new lift bolts after a 100 miles or so, glad you got it done.

Tags
slide