Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2022, 10:47 AM   #1

Not so Enduring

Or, maybe not so endearing. As I follow tire threads, Goodyear Endurance tires still seem to be high on most folk’s list. However, once one starts having trouble with something, it goes on the their blacklist. Such it is with Goodyear Endurance. We’ve had a nail puncture, a tire with big gashes from road debris, and a severely worn tire with separating plies. The tires that have been on the whole 23K miles are showing even wear so I don’t believe that there is an alignment problem.
1. Does everyone still think Endurance is the best choice in load range E?
2. Any experience with Hankook—they look good on paper, but are pricier than Endurance?
3. Out of 3 trailers in the last 17 years, the second one ran 6 years with zero problems on LT truck tires. Why don’t I want truck tires again as long as the weight rating covers my load?
4. Trailer tires mostly seem to come with 8/32nds tread. Some even brag about the thin tread dissipating heat better. Michelin XPS Rib is rated for trailers and has 15/32nds tread so are the 8/32nds guys trying to make an excuse for a cheap tread?
5. Prorating the Endurance wear so far shows that I’ll only get 32K miles on them. Again, why not truck tires where the tires will age out before they wear out?
6. The rear axle tires on our 37’ fifth wheel wore out about twice as fast as the front axle. I don’t recall this happening on two prior trailers, although they were shorter. Is it really that common? The next set will get rotated regularly.

Thanks for the replies.
LenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Road debris and nail punctures are hardly exclusive to any one tire manufacturer. So there is no reason to give a manufacturer a bad mark.

As for thread wear, have you checked your weights and higher speeds increase tire wear. And Endurance tires will age out as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:39 AM   #3

I agree nail puncture/road debris is not the tire mfg issue

LT tires in 'E' rating would work just as well as ST trailer tires. Just check that the load rating exceeds the weight being carried

As for 5th wheel rear axle tires wearing faster.
That is from towing NOSE High...rear tires carrying more weight
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:04 PM   #4

Other tire threads on this forum have stated that the rear axle will always wear faster due to more sideways scuffing than the front axle. I just attended a tire seminar at a rally where the consensus was that rear axle wearing faster is common especially on long fifth wheels. The trailer is within 1" of level and has an equalizer between the springs. Nose high would definitely be an issue with torsion axles where there is no equalizer. Not the case here.

While road hazards are not the manufacturer's fault they do add to the total aggravation. I've had tires that I swore were nail magnets. Changed brands and nail punctures stopped.

I'm hopping for some other brand experience. I just need a change.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:14 PM   #5
JDT

I had 17.5 inch wheels on our previous fifth wheel and ran a set of Hankook's, TH22's if I remember correctly. They held up and wore really well. I am thinking about going with whatever trailer service tires Hankook has in a 16 inch version when it comes time to replace the Endurance that came on our Pinnacle. I think they are really good tires and have worn well in our 2 years of use but with their shallower tread depth I expect that to be sooner rather than later.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:36 PM   #6

Our 2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L came new with Goodyear Endurance 235/80 R16. I had a couple punctures, but both times I was saved by my TST 507 TPMS. I also had some excessive inside tire wear on my rear axle tires. My trailer is a little nose high (1.5") because I need the bed clearance on my RAM. I was able to make a pro-rated mileage warranty claim on those two tires at about 16K miles. Last October on a cross-country trip in CT I lost pressure in a tire from a rock that worked it's way through the tread. I was not repairable so I bought what they had and made it back to AZ.

When I got home I replaced all four Goodyears at about 30K miles on the rig. one of them was a OEM tire. This time I went with Maxxis M8008 Plus 235/80 R 16. Back last December I paid $190 per tire from Discount Tire here in AZ.

I just checked the current price and it looks like they have been discontinued - Great, that sucks...
Old 06-21-2022, 09:36 AM   #7

I used to run Maxxis tires on our bumper pull and put them on my kid's trailers--all performed well. Last time I checked they were still at 65mph rating. Now, with some makers specifying higher than 65mph I like to go with them with the assumption that they are handling heat better when I drive at 65. I've got a set of Hankook ordered--we'll see how they do. And, I'll be rotating regularly. I had 4 corner weighing done last summer, and the kitchen side with its appliances weighs more than the other side. It would be close with an LT. TST saved me on my last 2 punctures. Hankook is the most expensive that I've seen so we'll see if they are worth it.

Thanks for the responses.

You don't always get quality with the most expensive, but you do always get junk with the least expensive.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:50 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have run goodyears on the bus, they went crazy at less than 20k miles.

rivering, odd tire wear. made driving a real pita. even when balanced.

replaced them with hankooks had zero issues so far, but they are otr truck tires. ride very nice

i have had goodyears, carlisles, towmax, tex star, a generic brand out in the boonies on the car hauler trailer. mind you its 12k gvwr and carries 2 5200lb axles, its usually at 80% load or more.

all have had issues in texas heat, road debris, tread separations , sidewall bulges as big as an orange and one large bird that just lost its mind and tried to take off.

one summer coachnet met us at every trip to change trailer tires on the car hauler trailer, it was almost like a joke. so much so i started carrying 2 spares.

most of our issues have been crap in the road we just didnt see.

everyone rates tires on their personal experience

some tires have better luck than others simply because the road they have driven is less contaminated with screws, parts and sharp objects

i find the biggest issue with tires is the crap that falls off everyone else's car, truck, trailer etc

running tires are proper pressure based on load, tire upkeep and proper tire for load to be carried is the best medicine for good tire life
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #9

Got the new Hankooks on the trailer last Saturday. I'll try to remember to give a report in a few years. Although well into senior years, I'm still learning things. When making a U turn in the Discount tire lot I watched the tire on the trailer back axle sliding sideways almost not rotating. Now it was soft asphalt, but it was a lesson learned. I'll be rotating the trailer tires regularly.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:50 PM   #10

Can't resist from a previous entry - even more interesting than the below is the fact that I had a nail puncture failure with gradual PSI loss to near zero, that same morning as I was climbing the Raton pass in NM! I carry 2 spares.....Been there, done that just last week on return from CO Springs in TX 105 degF temps. Going into Amarillo my one, out of four on the ground, problem Goodyear Endurance blew, and the Tireminder on left front did not give me a warning other than 0 PSI. The tire failed with the complete outer tread, in one piece, was removed and caused some damage under the wheel well. That tire has been a problem, and not the sensor as I've switched and installed different sensors. The problem: cools faster and more than the other 3, and it heats up faster and more than the other 3. And, now that you remind me it gets hotter than the other 3. I was "fighting" this problem for more than a year, and now not any more. At the earliest discovery of the problem, before the trip I increased the PSI to make all 4 even at 75 PSI, and then I get on the highway and I hear it setting the alarm for over PSI (by the exact amount I added! I learned to let it appear low on departing home as it caught up to the other 3 in a hurry. The tire was about 2 years old, plenty of tread wear remaining, and local Discount Tire provided a new one no cost. But, that begs the point: strange unknown unexplainable things happen even to good tires. More important: tires are a problem, don't take second best or any problem before you take action.
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:47 AM   #11

1. Not everyone is on board the Endurance is the best E choice....myself included mainly because of very little tread depth.
Goodyears ST Marathons also had lots of fans.

2. I've used LT E Hankooks on trucks but no experience with their ST E tires.

3. If a 16" LT235/85-16" E @ 3042 lbs will cover the trailers axle ratings this will be by far the best idea for a road trailer with 6k/5.2k axles.

4. Most rv owners never wear out a tire. They time out so 8/32" of tread depth works for them.
However its been my experience wearing out many sets of 15"/16" Load E tires on commercial trailers , as the tread wears down closer to the tires carcass their prone to picking up more road debris/carcass damage ....resulting in many more flat tires than when they were new.
Its also been my experience as the tread wears down closer to the carcass it runs hotter. When I was on the road I never let tires on trailer wear down into the bars. They sell easy on CL.

5. For trailers that travel 12k-15k miles a year a new tire with only 8/32" of tread depth isn't the best idea unless one can afford new tires every 2-3 years.

6. All my rv trailers with tandems...and my equipment trailers with tandem axles....triaxles....dual tandem axles set level when loaded and hooked to the truck so all tires wear the same. I've never rotated a tire on any of my trailers.
Sounds like that trailer is a bit nose high when hooked to the truck.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:09 AM   #12
JDT

We've owned our Pinnacle for 2 years and 1 month. I haven't kept track of my mileage but I checked the Endurance tires and I'm down to 5/32's tread, so have used up 3/32's or half the tread life. They are wearing very evenly and I have rotated them a couple times since I had them off for converting to disc brakes and for installing the Roadmaster shock absorber kit. I also had them balanced. We have at least one long trip left for this year and I'll watch the wear. I may change them out next year to something with more tread depth.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 04:08 PM   #13

Thanks for the relies. It is good to learn from others experience. The Hankooks look good on the trailer. I am going to rotate regularly to attempt even wear down to 4/32". Also, I'll keep a much closer eye on them complete with regular measurements. Hoping for a better experience--we'll see.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:40 PM   #14

Back to the back axle-->> I had never experienced the rear axle wearing faster, so I was not a believer myself when I would see it discussed on threads. But, the prior trailers were shorter and driven way less miles, so maybe it just didn't have time to show up. The present trailer is a 37' fifth wheel that gets to experience a lot more sharp turns. It uses MORRyde SRE4000 equalizers which sit level, and the frame measures about 1" high in front--not much in 37'. 4 corner weighing last year showed the same weight tire to tire on the passenger side and 50 lb heavier on the front tire than the rear tire on the driver side of the trailer. So, it is got to be a leverage thing in a turn causing more sideways push on the rear tires. I'll be watching.