Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #1

Off gassing

Has anyone been able to get rid of the off gassing smell in rv? The smell is so bad that food put in cabinets Ivan not be consumed. Clothing and blankets need to be washed to get rid of some of smell. I have tried washing with odor ban, tried charcoal, ammonia in pans, biocides rv shock, maxx air vent covers. Nothing will get rid of smell. Have contacted crossroads couple times and now they want to have max air fan installed to circulate air.
Justinrolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I can't find any reference to what type of RV or it's age that you own but my recommendation would be to rent or purchase an ozone generator and run the h e double toothpicks out of it. This is what motels etc. use to remove smells from rooms. I purchased one like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fresh-Air-H...4AAOSwtKxZ5R6E
Works great

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:35 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Open it up to air out is the only way to get rid of the smell.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:26 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
The root of this is what's used to build them. Some types of paneling even give off formaldehyde, but I believe those were banned. All you can do is let it sit with all the windows open and fans on for a few hot days. It's like 'new car' odor and it'll gradually go away as all the chemicals out gas.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:24 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
We are all assuming it is the "new" smell but could it be waste tanks ? Make sure your p traps have water and roof vents are not clogged. There are also air valves under the sinks that can release grey tank smells if they aren't working properly. IMO the grey can smell worse than the black.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #6

The rv is 2014 crossroads zinger 5th wheel, the smell has been in it since we bought it new. The salesman said it would air out so we put up with it for first summer, the next summer contacted crossroads and they said to install max air vents cover and leave vents open but smell still there. The smell seems to be worst in cabinets in the slide out. Any food put in them cabinets tastes terrible. We leave windows and vents open year around when weather permits, but the smell is not getting better. I see there are some others in this site that gave up and traded their rv in.Thanks for advice and help.
Justinrolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinrolson View Post
The rv is 2014 crossroads zinger 5th wheel, the smell has been in it since we bought it new. The salesman said it would air out so we put up with it for first summer, the next summer contacted crossroads and they said to install max air vents cover and leave vents open but smell still there. The smell seems to be worst in cabinets in the slide out. Any food put in them cabinets tastes terrible. We leave windows and vents open year around when weather permits, but the smell is not getting better. I see there are some others in this site that gave up and traded their rv in.Thanks for advice and help.
Maybe it is not a gassing issue. Wondering if someone used a bad lacquer.... Dealer could have done something too. Something does not sound right.

You can always replace cabinets
Old 04-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Maybe it is not a gassing issue. Wondering if someone used a bad lacquer.... Dealer could have done something too. Something does not sound right.

You can always replace cabinets
Ok, just googled your rv. A lot of complaints about a bad musty basement smell. Sorry, that is just horrible to have to deal with. Wondering why they have not been sued yet.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I ALWAYS leave the roof vents open a minimum of 1 inch each - 365 days a year. I leave all cabinet and closet doors open when not in use year round.
In warmer months (temps above 90) I leave one Fantastic Fan running at all the times. I have a 160 watt solar panel so batteries are not are not a worry.
Our rig is a 2014 Lifestyle. While it never had any offensive odor/smell, I still feel its important for the rig to have air circulation.
We do not experience any odors or our items that are closets and cabinets from the above practice.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #10

Ground coffee and an open bag of charcoal
jrupinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:40 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When going through RVs at shows I notice the entry level trailers smell much stronger and have an unpleasant chemical/plastic smell. Much less noticeable in higher end units and motor homes.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:12 AM   #12

If I have the facts correct:

1. Odor has been present for 4 years

2. It seems to be originating in the slide

I doubt it is related to building materials as this type odor would have dissipated years ago. Possible that the source of the odor is being replenished for it to last so long. May be a leak in the slide allowing water to accumulate somewhere that is not visible.

Removing cabinets as suggested above may be a way to find the offending issue.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinrolson View Post
This has been going on for four years?
RVs are an owner heavy maintenance and repair item. You need to become more active in the finding and repairing the problem. Dont rely on phone calls to solve it. Its been too long and the longer it goes the more potential damage is occurring. Its time to roll up your sleeves and get to work. Pull cabinets, remove trim whatever it takes to preserve your value in the rig.
You are either up to the task or not. In the latter case maybe selling it off and minimizing the loss is a good solution.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
I agree with mobilemike. If rig is 4 years old the odor is not outgassing. Most likely a chronic leak and the smell is mold and mildew. It could be a significant repair job after 4 years of decay. Sorry...

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas