Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #1

Oh Boy not a good start

hello again

well i solved my getting my ( new to me ) 5th trailer back home with a driver i found
trailer was brought back from Mackinaw Mi to Sw, wisc ,
well he showed up a day early with it ,
the trip down didn't go very smooth as i would of hoped ,
when he called for final directions he said your not going to be very happy
you know he was right , anyway

any information on what i will need to do to fix this , and any tips would be helpful ,

not a good start to a new to me 5th , but i think it might look better in the day light , ya i know ,

any way any one out there do one of these repairs ,

mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	25404  
mdel747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Who did the damage? Was the diver insured against this?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #3

no the last owner set him up to help deliver it ,
he never hit any thing , but he ( driver ) also told me he had seen the last owner and his son with this side off/ apart a few years ago , but the last owner never told me about that part he just said he fixed a leak , in the area ,
im not holding my breath on the last owner to help on remedy this as it was a cash deal , but i will contact him after the driver gets back up there as the driver wanted to talk to him about it , seems it happened with in 20 miles of leaving ,

but i have to start in on getting things for the repair never the less , as this is going to north Dakota in 3 weeks for work ,,

As i look at it some 2x2 and the bottom 2x4 is rotted out and i will start by replacing them tomorrow morning just to have a clean start on it , ,
mdel747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
That is horrible !

more reason to have inspections done even when you see the vehicle,
much less sight unseen - good luck - can't imagine what that's gonna cost !
Old 08-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #5

What year and brand is it just for a mental note
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdel747 View Post
...no the last owner set (the driver) up to help deliver it ,
he never hit any thing , but he ( driver ) also told me he had seen the last owner and his son with this side off/ apart a few years ago , but the last owner never told me about that part he just said he fixed a leak , in the area ,
im not holding my breath on the last owner to help on remedy this as it was a cash deal , but i will contact him after the driver gets back up there as the driver wanted to talk to him about it , seems it happened with in 20 miles of leaving .....
If it were me, I'd be working very hard to unwind this deal and get my money back so that I could start over. If you intend to fix this right, it is NOT going to be an inexpensive or easy repair!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
If it were me, I'd be working very hard to unwind this deal and get my money back so that I could start over. If you intend to fix this right, it is NOT going to be an inexpensive or easy repair!

Rusty
Man, unless you KNEW for sure of this issue and agreed to purchased it with that in mind, there is no way I would be letting this go. I would insist that the seller give you your money back and he get his trailer back. Generally, it is wise to sign a bill of sale stating the "the seller makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, unit is being sold as where is." However, unless you agreed to buy the RV knowing that it had such an issue, I think the seller misrepeswented the RV and you are due a refund. Call Judge Judy!!! Phillip
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #8

Yup, that's classic 5'er water damage. The dark area at the bottom clearly shows that area had a lot of water over an extended amount of time.

That's a big repair job, all the insulation has to come out, likely the floor in that upper section will be rotted too. All wood that's even a little punky will have to be replaced before you even think about starting to put it back together again.

There's one like that at a dealer near here, both the owner and the insurance company agreed it was a complete write-off.

The repair estimate was nearly double the replacement value.

It did however provide a nearly new a/c unit for my C at a very good price once they started parting it out.

Sorry for your luck, hope you had insurance.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow, that's not good!
Problem is: did the previous owner know the damage existed (he may have thought it was fixed) and what state laws are involved. Then there's the difference between laws that affect dealers vs private sellers.
Going to be expensive no matter what. Seller will say, cash deal, as is.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
no the last owner set him up to help deliver it ,
im not holding my breath on the last owner to help on remedy this as it was a cash deal , but i will contact him after the driver gets back up there as the driver wanted to talk to him about it , seems it happened with in 20 miles of leaving ,

but i have to start in on getting things for the repair never the less , as this is going to north Dakota in 3 weeks for work ,,

As i look at it some 2x2 and the bottom 2x4 is rotted out and i will start by replacing them tomorrow morning just to have a clean start on it , ,

Thats bad damage..

2 things come to mind IF you didnt know before hand that it was damaged:

1- WHY in the h3!! did the driver not stop and report this damage to both you and the seller when it happened???

2- The seller picked and arranged for the driver to deliver, so even if he didnt know about the damage before hand (or thought it repaired), I would think it is still up to him to make it right.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
he never hit any thing , but he ( driver ) also told me he had seen the last owner and his son with this side off/ apart a few years ago

As i look at it some 2x2 and the bottom 2x4 is rotted out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
..... so even if he didnt know about the damage before hand (or thought it repaired)
IMHO there's no way that level of rot happened in the last year.

If the previous owner "thought it was fixed" the wood would be a year old.

That wood was very wet for a very long time. Especially in Wisconsin where the wood was frozen a good part of the the year and no rotting was occurring.

It seems to me like the previous owner pulled it apart, realized it was in tough shape and ditched the unit on someone.

I met someone in a similar circumstance last year at Lazee Days in Tampa. A huge area of their 'new-to-them' Class A had a bad delamination problem. They had bought it through e-Bay and had just found out the previous owner had taken it to Lazee Days for a quote a couple years but rejected the repair because of the high cost.

The 'repair' that was done was to drill a series of holes in the delaminated area, inject epoxy, then clamp it tight till cured then patch the holes and sell it.

It had only lasted a little longer than necessary to sell the unit before the epoxy let go.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I agree.. the seller prolly dumped it quick. However, even if he argues he didnt and didnt know, he is still responsible, IMHO, because he also arranged the transport. Either way you slice it, the OP should get his cash back.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You might talk to an an attorney about possible deceptive trade practices or wha ever your state has along that line. Have him write a letter to the seller and state you were deceived and want your money back..pronto.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
was it bought thru ebay ? contact ebay ....

or did he cross state lines ?!?
Interstate commerce laws come into effect too.....
You have a good case, just be patient and thorough and calm, but persistent.