Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #1

OK Guys, Ordered a 5er, Now what?

Hi guys,

I ordered a Columbus River Ranch 392MB with full body paint and all the fixins! Now what? What do I need to buy for the 5er that I wouldn’t have from my diesel pusher?

One thing I know I have to get better at is backing with a fifth wheel. Where do you learn that? I’ve never been good at it to begin with. But I know you don’t strap something 42’ long onto a truck and just start pulling…

What say you?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First question is the license grade you need for the weight truck and trailer you will have. Some stares require and ungraded license base on GVWR.

Any things you had for you motorhome should work on the trailer. Water hose, water regulator, sewer hose, extra power cord (provided it is 50 amp).

One thing I would add is a hardwired Progressive Industries EMS. Good insurance for campground power problems.

There are some RV driving schools around the country. But to learn it takes practice to see how you truck and trailer react in corners. The 5er will cut well inside the truck track on corners. Also you need to watch tail swing on the trailer.

To practice, I took my wife up to a local high school or church parking lot on a Saturday when there is no one else there. Take along some bottles, cones or boxes to set up as a parking spot to practice backing. It also helps to have a spotter with a walkie-talkie. We do not depend on cell phones for communications as we find lots of places with no cell service. Practice backing on the right side (blind side) as well as the left side.

But even with a driving school, you will need to practice and practice some more.

Ken
Old 09-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #3

I'm assuming you have or have order a capable tow vehicle? Don't want to derail your thread on TV capacity, but you did not mention what you're using.

Does this 5'er come with a generator? If not, you may want to consider one depending on where you will go and if you want power on the road when you stop.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I'm assuming you have or have order a capable tow vehicle? Don't want to derail your thread on TV capacity, but you did not mention what you're using.

Does this 5'er come with a generator? If not, you may want to consider one depending on where you will go and if you want power on the road when you stop.
18000# GVWR = newer Dually

RV Items....MH-5vr pretty much the same stuff
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #5

First of all congradulations on the new RV. I dont know about WY. but Colorado has several RV driving teachers but besides backing I dont know if you would learn much halving alreadg had a motorhome.

Lots of videos on backing 5th wheels on the internet.

Just as suggested above I would get cones or boxes and practice backing in a large empty parking lot.

Also first thing calculate you clearence height while hitched. You will probibly find your fifth wheel trailer is higher than your mororcoach. I have a sticker with my clearence height posted on top of my windshield that i verify with posted clearence sign when going under obstructions.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisok View Post
First of all congradulations on the new RV. I dont know about WY. but Colorado has several RV driving teachers but besides backing I dont know if you would learn much halving alreadg had a motorhome.

Lots of videos on backing 5th wheels on the internet.

Just as suggested above I would get cones or boxes and practice backing in a large empty parking lot.

Also first thing calculate you clearence height while hitched. You will probibly find your fifth wheel trailer is higher than your mororcoach. I have a sticker with my clearence height posted on top of my windshield that i verify with posted clearence sign when going under obstructions.
YEP.....
MFG Brochure published height was 12'8"
After setting up 5vr for level tow ACTUAL measured height is 13'4"
LOOK UP when traveling
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi guys,

I ordered a Columbus River Ranch 392MB with full body paint and all the fixins! Now what? What do I need to buy for the 5er that I wouldn’t have from my diesel pusher?

One thing I know I have to get better at is backing with a fifth wheel. Where do you learn that? I’ve never been good at it to begin with. But I know you don’t strap something 42’ long onto a truck and just start pulling…

What say you?
I say go out and get a big dually one ton truck to pull it.

A portable generator if trailer doesn’t have one.

I believe there are some places that offer RV Driver training,

Good Luck.

Congratulations!
GonetoRaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:00 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
...What do I need to buy for the 5er that I wouldn’t have from my diesel pusher?...
I agree with the others. You didn't mention if you have a tow vehicle. Get a truck big enough to safely pull AND STOP that beast.

Pretty much everything you needed for a DP, sans engine/tranny stuff, is what you'll need for a 5-r.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:07 PM   #9

Hi guys, I optioned my coach with the 5.5 KW generator. I’ll get most likely get a Ford F-350 Super duty but not a dually. I gave the specs to Ford, Chevrolet, GMC and RAM and they all say a dually and/or diesel is unnecessary. I know this brings on grumbling within the community but there you have it.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:03 PM   #10

Quote:
I gave the specs to Ford, Chevrolet, GMC and RAM and they all say a dually and/or diesel is unnecessary. I know this brings on grumbling within the community but there you have it.
ouch...now the cow just kicked over the bucket.

Backing the long trailer will be easier than a short one. But the only way to get experience is by using it.
Find a big parking lot and practice backing into a spot/cones/etc.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:15 PM   #11

Buy some nice wheel chocks. That was the only must have necessary purchase when I switched from my 43’ DP to the 41’ 5th. Well, that and a new diesel dually to carry the 4k pin weight and 19k trailer but I won’t go there based on your 2nd post.

Coming from a 150 ga fuel tank I quickly realized I needed more than 36 ga so I added a 50 ga transfer tank. Went from 300 to 600 miles between fill ups but I do miss the 1000+ range of the DP. Even with my dually I’m now right at max carrying capacity with full tanks and the family on board.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:41 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi guys, I optioned my coach with the 5.5 KW generator. I’ll get most likely get a Ford F-350 Super duty but not a dually. I gave the specs to Ford, Chevrolet, GMC and RAM and they all say a dually and/or diesel is unnecessary. I know this brings on grumbling within the community but there you have it.

Did they use dry weight and base model trucks or trailer GVWR and 22% of the trailer GVWR for pin weight?
Old 09-22-2021, 09:43 PM   #13

As others have shared, practice in an open parking lot. 5ers cut the corner more than you might think, so not only practice backing, but also pulling and watching how the trailer reacts and practice swinging wide on the turns (especially right hand turns) to see how much space is needed for your setup.

Congrats and enjoy!
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:55 PM   #14

You might want to start considering hitch options. There are a lot of choices and what is best for you requires some research.