Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
You are not going to like this but you asked and this is my opinion. I would not hesitate to get a dually. I have been full timing for over 9 years. That 5er is my home and contains everything I own. If I have a tire problem on the truck I want duallys back there to help keep me from wreaking the whole works. They do not like being flipped on their sides much. And that will ruin your whole day. Never experienced it but I have seen it after the fact. Very painful to look at.

Brad
Brad...thanks for your input...glad the dually works for you...I don't want one.

Safe travels...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #16

Post moved to another thread cause I got the wrong one this morning. Not enough coffee yet I guess.

See the Discounted Pricing thread by the same OP.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
The bottom line of pricing is you can get the MSRP rather easily for most models BUT that doesn't include any dealer added fees such as delivery, PDI, document fees, taxes, title fees, paint sealants, interior sealants, and who knows what else the tack on that mostly is ADP, Additional Dealer Profit. If you look at RV Trader and RVT you will see a wide variety of pricing for identical models. Some will list the MSRP, others some form of a discount. Some will advertise "no hassle pricing". That's no hassle for them, not you. Don't be sucked into the free lifetime warranty ploy. Not free and won't be your lifetime. Look at the fine print on that.

Whether you get a left over 17 or 18 or the latest model 19 depends on how long you have it and what the actual pricing is. CAUTION: Models of the same make and year might be built differently with different features. RV manufacturers will make mid-year changes with no notification to consumers, or dealers for that matter. Example GD in the Solitude now installs a 3500# trailer hitch at no additional cost. On some Solitudes the shower door was replaced with a shower curtain. Vanleigh made what I consider a significant change in the location of the dresser in the BR on their 320GK/Beacon34RLB models. New location partially blocks the access to the BR. Whether that's an improvement or not is subjective. You may not find about the differences until delivery so you may have to be somewhat flexible about that.

That is why I suggested the out-the-door pricing. You have to do the leg work to determine the MSRP and what YOU consider acceptable ADP for the dealer with fees. Some things are pretty fixed, taxes and title fees unless you buy out of state than new rules come into place. You can finance with the dealer and not affect that out-the-door pricing. In past purchases, vehicles, the dealer had access to financing offers that were better than I the consumer had.

So my suggestion is do your pricing research for the RV you want with the options desired, calculate fixed costs such as taxes, title fees and figure (estimate) any delivery/transportation costs. Determine what YOU will pay them for that RV as that out-the-door price and submit the offer. Make it clear that that is final cost and nothing is added later. There worst you can get is a no. I would submit that same offer to a few dealers that you select so you can make an apples-apples comparison.
I like this approach for sure. The games get tiring without a doubt. I'll settle on one price and that's it.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
I like this approach for sure. The games get tiring without a doubt. I'll settle on one price and that's it.
I apologize because I posted this in the wrong thread, should have been in the "discounted pricing" one. I'll add it there also.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #19

Grand Design Owners Club
Wundertaker - I am just checking in to see how you are progressing. Hope all is well.
Charlie
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #20

As far as recent GM trucks, the only difference (as far as I can find) between a 3500 SRW and DRW is the two extra tires. Heck, my 2500 has the same frame, brakes, drive train as a 3500 except the 3500 has an extra leaf spring in the rear... Monkey...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:24 PM   #21

Can't get our hands on exactly what we want. Looks like it may be a special order in the Spring.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Can't get our hands on exactly what we want. Looks like it may be a special order in the Spring.
As you have found typically dealers order basic low optioned models from the manufacturer. Occasionally you see a highly optioned one but I suspect that was a customer ordered that backed out for any number of reasons. Most buyers want an RV as cheap as possible and the options add to the cost. I also was looking and specing out certain models and the options I wanted were seldom found and never together, gen prep and/or gen, dual pane windows, slide awnings, queen not RV king bed, and a couple others. The problem with ordering, besides the time it takes, is now you have one that came from the environment of poor factory QC. If the one you get is a "Monday after Super Bowl" build you're screwed and your choice is reject it after waiting months potentially losing any deposits, or take it and work through all the defects you find.

I guess you could put your blinders on, pretend you don't know how much you spent and pretend you don't know about all the problems and just amble along. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. No good answers.