Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #43

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat28 View Post
Just a couple questions

1. Why would you want to meet or exceed your vehicles capacity, is there no safety concerns about who you might hurt because you are near or over you vehicle’s multiple ratings?

2. Never ever see any mention of braking, brakes are engineered for the ratings on the vehicle, you might be able to pull it but can you stop?
1. Because most of those ratings aren't for safety, but for marketing. Fact, in most states, a 3/4t is cheaper to register than a 1t, and people do tend to think about that. Another fact is that most 3/4t trucks use common suspension parts with their 1t brothers. Also, it helps keeps lawyers in business...

2. Well, in most states, you have to have trailer brakes > 3k GVW, so trailers are designed to stop themselves and the TV's brakes should have little to do with it. If the trailer brakes go out, even on a semi, you're pretty well likely to be in trouble in a hard stop.

Lyle
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 08:26 AM   #44

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Bohr View Post
If you are overweight and have an accident, will your insurance balk? If an accident is your fault, someone is badly hurt in the other vehicle, are you risking being put in financial danger not only for the other vehicle and passengers but your own damages? That would be too risky for me. I see so many pickups pulling 5ers where the load is too much on the Pu bed, or they don't know how to hitch, or something looks as if it could happen at any time. I try to get around before it does. Just asking.
You can't fix stupid, and there =are= a lot of stupid RVers out there. We see them nearly every day, where the truck looks like a set of spotlights looking for German bombers in London. Makes me wonder why LEOs don't pull =those= morons over.

Lyle
Old 02-02-2020, 01:58 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
I just LOVE people claiming they pull a 40 foot 15,000+ pound plus fiver with a 250/2500 with no problems. Its obvious they have never driven across a set of scales in their travels. Otherwise they would have upgraded to a truck more capable of handling the load.

I agree- I have a one ton diesel with decent payload and I’m still limited in what I can legally tow. Gvwr of 15,000 would be too heavy. Probably be safer with a dually.
Jstamm2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:40 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
You can't fix stupid, and there =are= a lot of stupid RVers out there. We see them nearly every day, where the truck looks like a set of spotlights looking for German bombers in London. Makes me wonder why LEOs don't pull =those= morons over.

Lyle
To put it mildly in OK they will and they do. Can you say portable scales and overweight ticket. See a couple astronomical tickets. Court and reduction didnt help. under active enforcement. if cop dont have scales off to a scale house they go. any officer any vehicle on any road the law states.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyp4951 View Post
This type of advice is your thoughts, and is not accurate, and should not be posted.
You have in no way helped the OP by giving her false information.
You are saying a 2018 Ram 2500 should not tow a 10k FW, which is laughable to say the least.
will it tow yes. will it be overloaded on the rear axle weight rating yes. is it a good idea no. will helper springs or airbags help yes but legally increase gvw no. so most of what wad stated is correct
Old 02-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadglide54 View Post
If there dumb enough to pull through a set of truck scales I guess. I have traveled all over America and have never seen rv pulled over along the truck scales being inspected by Leo . I will say if the op doesn’t exceed the tire raiting of 6500 lbs gvwrr it will be safe .
To put it mildly in OK they will and they do. hradlight pointed to sky truck bumper dragging the road. Can you say portable scales and overweight ticket. Seen two astronomical tickets. Court to fight it and ask reduction didnt help. under active enforcement. if cop dont have scales off to a scale house they go. any officer any vehicle on any road the law states. one i know got snippy when officer ask to see sticker on the door. ok fine next person to show up was a game warden. search everything. tore rv apart. emptied store compartments everything. end of it a nasty fine 2800 pounds over weight on axle weight ratings. first thousand is 208 and over that $1.50 a pound.

ended the arizona winter snowbird trip. back home he went
Old 02-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #49

Excel Owners Club
I've never heard a first hand report of a LEO weighing a private RV and issuing a citation for being over weight. Every story is from second hand sources. Hummm....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post

Lyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
To put it mildly in OK they will and they do. Can you say portable scales and overweight ticket. See a couple astronomical tickets. Court and reduction didnt help. under active enforcement. if cop dont have scales off to a scale house they go. any officer any vehicle on any road the law states.

Well they need reasonable cause to pull your over. I asked that question of a former Oregon State Police member, He stated the unit needs to look overloaded big squat or flattened tires.

He stated I would not get pulled over based on my look, with out air bags.

This is the same 5er loaded the same way, neither of the tow vehicles have air bags.

This is with the old 2001 Ram 2500, 8,800# GVWR 10,500# GVW! The 5er has a 2,700# pin and 12,500# GVW. We are 1,700# over GVWR!

This is our new 2016 Ram 3500 DRW, 14,000# GVWR have not scaled with 5er attached, but scales 10,000# ready to hook up. That means about 12,700# GVW hooked up, 1,300# of spare payload!

While I don't recommend to others to tow over GVWR, I did it for about 5 years without issue.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:39 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Well they need reasonable cause to pull your over. I asked that question of a former Oregon State Police member, He stated the unit needs to look overloaded big squat or flattened tires.

He stated I would not get pulled over based on my look, with out air bags.

This is the same 5er loaded the same way, neither of the tow vehicles have air bags.

This is with the old 2001 Ram 2500, 8,800# GVWR 10,500# GVW! The 5er has a 2,700# pin and 12,500# GVW. We are 1,700# over GVWR!

This is our new 2016 Ram 3500 DRW, 14,000# GVWR have not scaled with 5er attached, but scales 10,000# ready to hook up. That means about 12,700# GVW hooked up, 1,300# of spare payload!

While I don't recommend to others to tow over GVWR, I did it for about 5 years without issue.

How do you like the way your dually tows your 14k lb trailer in comparison to your old SRW truck?
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:00 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
How do you like the way your dually tows your 14k lb trailer in comparison to your old SRW truck?

Like a dream!
The old had towing, Camper and optional larger tire size, so did well with the weight. It had RV275 injectors and a small chip, but with likely still less than 300 hp, 3.55's, and a 5 speed manual it worked a bit of steeper hills.
Both are Laramie trim, but that level is WAY better in the new TV.

The power in the new Ram is awesome, and the DRW adds to the stability. The Aisin is smooth as silk.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote