Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #29

I have a 34 foot coach with 27 foot enclosed trailer giving me a total length of 61 feet. I know you specifically said you did not want a dedicated device, but my garmin 780 (I believe it has been replaced by a new model) is great. I have driven over 30,000 miles since installing the garmin and it has never let me down. I also run waze on my phone or ipad while driving long distances where I am not familiar with the area. If I see the 2 disagree I stop to investigate which is right. So far I can tell you waze has only had a better route due to traffic, forest fires (this past summer in southern BC) or accidents. Garmin has traffic, but not as fast or reliable as waze. Waze also alerts me to hazards on the road, railway crossings, and a few other data points I like to be warned about.

Can't recommend this set up enough. I tried some apps on my iphone but, maybe I did not give them enough of a chance, I was not impressed.
AirBossdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwilson1989 View Post
A GPS will have a signal everywhere. Maybe near the poles you might have problems, but anyplace you can drive will have GPS signal unless you are underground. It’s the apps where you have signal problems. In order to use an app you need both GPS and cellular data service. A dedicated GPS requires no cell service.
I’ve been using the CoPilot app and the Waze app for guidance for about 10yrs. I use the apps in conjunction with the Bad Elf dongle. It requires no cell or wifi signal, it links to satellite so you always have connection. My Elf is of the old 30pin version as I’d purchased it for an iPad3 at the time but it still works great on my new iPad using the lightning adapter. I do Pre-trip plan my gas stops and destination with Google Earth aerial and street view.

https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-1008-detail

Tags
5th wheel