Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
I never unhook for an overnight unless the site is not long enough for the entire rig.
If you need to open a side to get in the bathroom or the fridge I'll bet your next one will let you.
X2; 4, 5ers and all would allow access, to fridge, bathroom& bedroom without extending the slide(s), and access was the first consideration when we went shopping for a coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #16

[QUOTE=manwithnorv;4157100]Again, I'm sorry I don't understand a lot, but couldn't you leave it hooked and drop the jacks or leveling feet so it the air did leak, the feet would stop it from dropping. Thanks for helping me learn what I don't know.[/QUOTE Missing the point. my hitch weighs several hundred pounds, my truck suspension will drop and put weight of truck all on front of my Teton.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
I'm just reading to learn, but let's assume he is running the fridge. You just told him he needs to be level or he'll ruin the fridge, but no one answered his question of "how". Do you drop the trailer and use auto level or leave it hooked up and use the leveler?
The answer might be easier than you think.

If you need to unhook to level for the fridge, then unhook.

If you don't need to, then you don't need to.

There is literally no way to know how to do a thing for some random thing, at some random location, under some random conditions. If you can't figure out what you need to do for what you're dealing with where your dealing with it, than maybe you'll be replacing fridges more often than you need to.

Good luck! Have fun!
Old 04-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=glennwest;4157134]
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Again, I'm sorry I don't understand a lot, but couldn't you leave it hooked and drop the jacks or leveling feet so it the air did leak, the feet would stop it from dropping. Thanks for helping me learn what I don't know.[/QUOTE Missing the point. my hitch weighs several hundred pounds, my truck suspension will drop and put weight of truck all on front of my Teton.
Ah! I actually think I understand. That would not be good. So as long as the TV is running, there's no risk of an air leak. So how long does it take to bleed down. I assume more than several minutes.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #19

We don't spend the night often at Walmart, but have before. I have 6-point auto level as well. I find a fairly level spot and manually use legs to remove some of the movement. I've also found that I can easily raise the front end a little without impacting the truck at all (basically take weight off the truck). And gain enough to be fairly level.

If you have opposing slides in the main living area, you most likely have to deploy slides to access Fridge. We also have a slide in the master that makes sleeping more comfortable. If you park against an island or on the border of the parking lot, there really isn't an issue with extending the slides.

Many people extend their slides while Wally docking. The issue is when people don't park out, leave a message, or set up camp. We leave no trace that we were ever there. We shop and pick up items, etc., arrive late, leave early, and check with night manager for permission. If you do that, you will be fine.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
We don't spend the night often at Walmart, but have before. I have 6-point auto level as well. I find a fairly level spot and manually use legs to remove some of the movement. I've also found that I can easily raise the front end a little without impacting the truck at all (basically take weight off the truck). And gain enough to be fairly level.

If you have opposing slides in the main living area, you most likely have to deploy slides to access Fridge. We also have a slide in the master that makes sleeping more comfortable. If you park against an island or on the border of the parking lot, there really isn't an issue with extending the slides.

Many people extend their slides while Wally docking. The issue is when people don't park out, leave a message, or set up camp. We leave no trace that we were ever there. We shop and pick up items, etc., arrive late, leave early, and check with night manager for permission. If you do that, you will be fine.
That should say "leave a mess"
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #21

[QUOTE=manwithnorv;4157161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post

Ah! I actually think I understand. That would not be good. So as long as the TV is running, there's no risk of an air leak. So how long does it take to bleed down. I assume more than several minutes.
Oh, depends. When last time I chased leaks down. lol. right now it will take 24 hours to leak down. When it gets any worse I will look for the leaks. On thing about an air brake unit, you will be fixing leaks time to time.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
As long as you are level enough that you don't feel like you are in a fun house you are ok for the fridge to run one night. The main issue is front to back not side to side. The slides will depend on what type you have. The schwintek are more picky.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
No slides? How do I get to the bedroom and bathroom?
I walk to mine thank God! One big hassle I am glad I chose to forego when purchasing my unit.
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Every place I have ever stopped was level enough not to be an issue.

I run the refrigerator while going up and down mountains.
Yeah, I dunno what the big deal is about the fridge. Which parts in a fridge exactly are susceptible to damage from not being level? I run mine on gas while traveling and on electric while plugged in. Never a problem so far.. In fact, my fridge will get turned on to the "auto" setting the day before I leave and some 2000-3000 miles and 3-4 weeks later I'll turn it off again when I get home. Should I have gone through a few fridges by now?

Ken
Old 04-26-2018, 06:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuffmanjr View Post
Yeah, I dunno what the big deal is about the fridge. Which parts in a fridge exactly are susceptible to damage from not being level? I run mine on gas while traveling and on electric while plugged in. Never a problem so far.. In fact, my fridge will get turned on to the "auto" setting the day before I leave and some 2000-3000 miles and 3-4 weeks later I'll turn it off again when I get home. Should I have gone through a few fridges by now?

Ken
I'm wondering the same thing, I'm like you and have never had a problem. Maybe their talking about a residential fridge?? I've never had one of those.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If you are not moving and running the fridge the chemical solids will buildup in the bottom of the unit and block the circulation. Once they get blocked up it is nearly impossible to get it flowing again. when it is blocked and not flowing it can overheat and cause even more issues. When you are moving the vibration of the road keeps everything shaken up. You have to be pretty unlevel for it to be an issue. 6 degrees from front to back and 3 degrees side to side if I recall but don't quote me on that. This issue does not apply to residential type refrigerators.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:38 AM   #27

I believe that the level issue was a much bigger deal several years ago. Don't quote me as gospel but I heard somewhere by the infamous 'Someone' that improvements were made and the RV fridges are not nearly as sensitive to out of level conditions as they once were.

I also have a converted semi and the air leaks down quickly. My solution? Don't put down the legs. This post started out as an over night. If it moves a little, live with it. It is an over night not a weeks stay. We never have unhooked in a Walmart. If it is to unlevel I would suggest move to a different area.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM   #28

[QUOTE=manwithnorv;4157161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post

I think you have caught on now. If the truck is running the air don't leak down because the compressor is providing more than the leaks. If Glenn does not lower the jacks there is no problem. If he does and the air leaks down he could be hanging several thousand pounds on his Teton. I know they were built well but that is a bunch of weight.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking