Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #1

One night boondocking; how to level?

Hi,

I'll be picking up my first 5th wheel RV next week and wonder what the consensus is about leveling when boondocking for the night.
I've had TT's for the last 10 years, where I leveled them while still attached to my pickup.

Given that the manufacturer recommends the 5ver be level prior to any slide deployment, plus I like sleeping on a flat bed; what's the proper procedure for leveling for a blissful Walmart sleep?

BTW, I have auto leveling hydraulic jacks. So, I think my main question is; do I keep the 5ver attached to the pickup or not?

Thanks for any feedback
Ron
rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #2

Good question. I'm also curious of the same thing. Here is a free bump.
bofisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For one night I don't get into the weeds about being exactly level. Most parking lots are close enough. I don't disconnect the truck either. Makes for easy get out of town next morning.

If at Walmart, or similar places, please don't deploy your slides or awning, put out lawn chairs, etc. I've seen folks barbecuing in the parking lot. That behavior is ruining it for all of us!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If the fridge is running, try to be level. I like to put a small bubble level on the floor of the freezer to check fore-aft and side-side level, because it's the fridge that will be damaged if you have it running while not level.

If no fridge use, no worries!
Old 04-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
For one night I don't get into the weeds about being exactly level. Most parking lots are close enough. I don't disconnect the truck either. Makes for easy get out of town next morning.

If at Walmart, or similar places, please don't deploy your slides or awning, put out lawn chairs, etc. I've seen folks barbecuing in the parking lot. That behavior is ruining it for all of us!
No slides? How do I get to the bedroom and bathroom?

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #6

We always find a camp ground for one night stays which are usually level and just leave the truck hooked up. At the most, I will put a 2X8 board under the tires on one side of the FW if needed for leveling and then drop the legs to stabilize the camper. Good enough for one night.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:42 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
If your trailer is designed to need the slides out to gain access, you have no choice then.

The point I'm making is that Walmart, Flying J, and other places are not campgounds.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #8

We are suppose to tow level. So camper should be fairly level for over night. Now I unhook but I have air hitch and if truck air leaks down!!!!!!
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
To each his own, but I would not own an RV that you have to put a slide out to use the bathroom. When my wife and I travel she doesn't like using public restrooms. It's way to easy to pull over in a wide spot use the restroom, sometimes we stop and sit at our table and have lunch on the side of the road. I can't imagine having to open a slide every time we need to use the rig.

As for leveling at a Wal-Mart paring lot, REALLY?
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #10

I never unhook for an overnight unless the site is not long enough for the entire rig.
If you need to open a side to get in the bathroom or the fridge I'll bet your next one will let you.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
If the fridge is running, try to be level. I like to put a small bubble level on the floor of the freezer to check fore-aft and side-side level, because it's the fridge that will be damaged if you have it running while not level.

If no fridge use, no worries!
I'm just reading to learn, but let's assume he is running the fridge. You just told him he needs to be level or he'll ruin the fridge, but no one answered his question of "how". Do you drop the trailer and use auto level or leave it hooked up and use the leveler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
We are suppose to tow level. So camper should be fairly level for over night. Now I unhook but I have air hitch and if truck air leaks down!!!!!!
I'm sorry but I don't understand this, ...but I have air hitch and if truck air leaks down????? what, meaning you always unhook to prevent problems if the air leaks? Does this imply that one who does not have air hitch would not need to unhook?
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #12

Every place I have ever stopped was level enough not to be an issue.

I run the refrigerator while going up and down mountains.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
I'm just reading to learn, but let's assume he is running the fridge. You just told him he needs to be level or he'll ruin the fridge, but no one answered his question of "how". Do you drop the trailer and use auto level or leave it hooked up and use the leveler?

I'm sorry but I don't understand this, ...but I have air hitch and if truck air leaks down????? what, meaning you always unhook to prevent problems if the air leaks? Does this imply that one who does not have air hitch would not need to unhook?
My tow vehicle is a converted Semi. Yes if air leaks down, hitch will drop. All that weight will be hanging on my Teton. So I always unhook.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
My tow vehicle is a converted Semi. Yes if air leaks down, hitch will drop. All that weight will be hanging on my Teton. So I always unhook.
Again, I'm sorry I don't understand a lot, but couldn't you leave it hooked and drop the jacks or leveling feet so it the air did leak, the feet would stop it from dropping. Thanks for helping me learn what I don't know.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking