Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #1

Only one side of the slide will go in or out?

We just had something very odd happen at our trailer. It's currently in storage while we have a week between trips. While we have it there, it stays plugged in to 30 amp shore power, as we go back to it nearly daily from our house. Due to space issues, we have the bedroom slide, and one other slide out at all times. The single curb side slide is retracted when we are not at the RV. We came over this morning and had it out for an hour or so, then pulled it back in. I just now came back over and went to put the slide out-and only the rear part of the slide is moving, where the forward point isn't budging at all. I didn't even notice till my girlfriend saw that the back was out nearly a foot further than the front.

I'm really not sure where to even begin troubleshooting on this one. It's a 2004 Hitchhiker 2, and it is currently plugged in while it is giving me this problem.

Any help? Thanks in advance!

Justin.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #2

Assuming you have electric slide motors,
Look under the slide for an access hatch near the motor area. Remove the hatch, and using a small flashlight locate the jack-shaft running from one end of the slide mechanism to the other. (only one gear receives power) The jack-shaft will be attached to the gear on each end, and each end has a 1.25 X 1/4" shear pin.(I had to remove/drop down about 10 feet of underbelly covering to make room to replace the bolt) It is much easier to use a standard hardware grade bolt and self-locking nut than fiddle with replacing it with another spring pin. (btw, this is SOP)
Make sure each end of the slide is the exact same distance from the RV wall if the slide is not already fully extended or retracted. If luck is with you, you will be able to detect how the jack-shaft and gear-shaft were aligned previously. This will mean you can still be 180 degrees out, thus the exact measurement; otherwise you can be out in 90 degree segments. Using two people, "bump" the slide motor slightly to align the holes, or one person may use a wrench to rotate the jack-shaft.
This is not a difficult job, but must be accurate when finished.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #3

Well, that's a lot better than I was thinking it might be. I know when we bought the trailer, they explained to us how we might shear off a bolt on the front jacks, so that makes a lot of sense. I will have to start tearing things apart Monday and see what I can find.

I understand what you mean about aligning things, but how will I tell if I have it right, or if I am 180* wrong? Will it push out unevenly?

Also, what is it that causes this? I know for the front jacks we were told if the legs were uneven it could cause it, but how can I prevent this from happening to the slide again?

Thanks for the great writeup!
Justin.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #4

You were spot on. I didn't have an access panel, but simply dropped the underbelly in that section. The busted nut/bolt dropped right onto the ground. I didn't think to take it into the shop for a replacement, but they gave me a Grade 8 bolt, a nut, and a lock washer. Does that sound like an appropriate replacement?

We had the slide halfway out, so I used a tape measure to line up both sides, and when that was done-the hole underneath lined up perfectly. I'm assuming I have it properly aligned at this point.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #5

You got it! The previously used "shear pin hole" will have wear marks indicating which hole was used. I would not use grade 8 bolts, not even grade 5, but rather standard hardware bolts "grade 3" (no head markings). You want the cheapest component to fail first. If the jack-shaft gets twisted before the shear pin breaks, you then get to replace the jack-shaft also.
Addressing the cause of a sheared slide pin, Murphy's Law prevails; you never know when, how or why.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide