Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #15

Paul and I go back a few months with similar frame failures - mine dropped the entire front of the 5th wheel onto my dually's bed rails.Simple test: with the RV hitched, drop the front undercarriage jacks and jack up the RV - and watch the pin box flex with the RV or watch the bed being picked up by the jacks....... I'll bet you have a typical frame failure even thought the front of the RV does not (yet) rest on the truck's bed rails!
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #16

Paul,

Yah you really created some work for yourself. If it were a matter of adding a few gussets and repairing some welds I’d have no issue. Taking on the job you described as I little beyond my expertise. KZ still appears to want to stand behind the product and cover the repairs. Shooting for June. We simply need to determine what needs to be done to make it road worthy.
KirkDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkDB View Post
Paul,

Yah you really created some work for yourself. If it were a matter of adding a few gussets and repairing some welds I’d have no issue. Taking on the job you described as I little beyond my expertise. KZ still appears to want to stand behind the product and cover the repairs. Shooting for June. We simply need to determine what needs to be done to make it road worthy.
We can definitely see movement in the pin box as we Hitch and unhitch the rv. There is no question some damage occurred. Sad these things are made the way they are.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #18

In the event it’s needed before we take it back to KZ, does anyone know of a repair shop in AZ (phx area) that specializes in frame repair?

Kirk
Old 03-03-2020, 09:47 PM   #19

Several years ago we had pin box to frame failure on our 5th wheel. We took it to Cliffs welding in Mesa. Were very happy with the job they did. They did not completely remove front cap, just pulled bottom forward. They replaced the front crossmember with one of heavier guage, then rewelded and put gussets on rest. Kept that 5th wheel for 4 more years, yearly trips from Canada where we live to Arizona and summer trips in Canada and never had another problem. They do lots of them so know what they are doing. Cost as I recall was $3000.00 range. Cliffs is on Main street in Mesa.
TECH 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #20

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH 1 View Post
Several years ago we had pin box to frame failure on our 5th wheel. We took it to Cliffs welding in Mesa. Were very happy with the job they did. They did not completely remove front cap, just pulled bottom forward. They replaced the front crossmember with one of heavier guage, then rewelded and put gussets on rest. Kept that 5th wheel for 4 more years, yearly trips from Canada where we live to Arizona and summer trips in Canada and never had another problem. They do lots of them so know what they are doing. Cost as I recall was $3000.00 range. Cliffs is on Main street in Mesa.
Cliff's is a decent shop. Had my Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust installed there as well as a couple small welding jobs that I didn't have time to do myself. Can't speak to larger jobs, but have heard good things. Don't think I've ever heard any horror stories. They've been around a long time, too.

Lyle
Old 03-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH 1 View Post
Thank you ... I’ll check them out and get their feedback on my issue.

Part of me is tempted to have it repaired locally and either skip taking it back to the factory or have them sign off on the work done. Balance between convenience and money I guess
Old 03-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #22

Thanks Lyle. Never heard of them but looks like they are worth the call.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #23

Quick update on my issue. KZ wants me to bring the RV back to the factory for repairs and is not willing to have it inspected prior to towing it from AZ to IN. Now the RV is out of warranty. The issue was reported about 6 months after the warranty expired. Initially they stated they would do a temp repair, put us up in their park in a loaner rv and perform the repair all at their cost. Now they are saying bring it back and we will fix it. Wow ... right. My bad for not getting it in writing. However, we were time crunched to focus on our seasonal work in AZ.

Ok, so tow it? Without finding the issue and temp welding it?

Thoughts?

I did talk to RV Master Techs who are within 8 miles of my location. They do frame repairs. The place mentioned above is a much longer drive. Do I take it in and have them do the repairs and forget about KZ, do both or take it as is to KZ? Thoughts?

Frame issues are so out of my area of expertise. Appreciate any help

Kirk
Old 03-10-2020, 08:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkDB View Post
Quick update on my issue. KZ wants me to bring the RV back to the factory for repairs and is not willing to have it inspected prior to towing it from AZ to IN. Now the RV is out of warranty. The issue was reported about 6 months after the warranty expired. Initially they stated they would do a temp repair, put us up in their park in a loaner rv and perform the repair all at their cost. Now they are saying bring it back and we will fix it. Wow ... right. My bad for not getting it in writing. However, we were time crunched to focus on our seasonal work in AZ.

Ok, so tow it? Without finding the issue and temp welding it?

Thoughts?

I did talk to RV Master Techs who are within 8 miles of my location. They do frame repairs. The place mentioned above is a much longer drive. Do I take it in and have them do the repairs and forget about KZ, do both or take it as is to KZ? Thoughts?

Frame issues are so out of my area of expertise. Appreciate any help

Kirk
If you have to pay for it anyway, being out of warranty, I would have it done locally. Cant see any benefit to you of towing it to them and if they couldn't build it strong enough in the first place, who can say they can fix it now.
Cheers
Ozzie
Oz_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #25

If you know what good welds look like, and have seen the welds on these frames, it would be clear to you who you do not want welding on your trailer.

Even for free.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz_Traveller View Post
If you have to pay for it anyway, being out of warranty, I would have it done locally. Cant see any benefit to you of towing it to them and if they couldn't build it strong enough in the first place, who can say they can fix it now.
Cheers
Ozzie
Good point. They are willing to do the repair for free. A local shop could likely open it up and give an estimate for the repair as well as a temp fix if there is one. We are getting ready to hit the road soon anyhow. So the cost of travel is there regardless.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
If you know what good welds look like, and have seen the welds on these frames, it would be clear to you who you do not want welding on your trailer.

Even for free.
I should say I know what a bad weld looks like. Honestly many of the welds I checked looked ok. I’ve seen examples of worse. My guess at this point is that it likely was under engineered for the 19k rating. But to your point if I can find an outfit that is better suited to do the work then I’m onboard.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:35 PM   #28

Open up overhang / pinbox area

How about trying something like this to peek into the overhang?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	277757

I used one to look into my underbelly for a hydraulic leak and it worked quite well.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote