Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Opinion: Excel vs Redwood vs Tradition

I realize this is similar to another thread, but slightly different comparison with prices for similar options. Considering for part-time RV living (few months/year):
Excel 34IKE Winslow @ highest price (about 81% of MSRP)
Redwood 34SK for $13,000 less than Excel
DRV Tradition for $ $22,900 less than Excel
We plan to keep and use for 10 years or so. Good local dealer on Redwood and Excel; purchase Tradition out of state.
I look forward to your thoughts. thanks in advance.
Pigdoc
pigdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a reason the Redwood is less than the Excel. Also the DRV Traction is the entry level DRV. The Tradition and Redwood both use a 12" I-beam frame. The higher end DRV and Excel use a stronger box section frame and are heavier.

You would do better buying a 3 to 5 year old DRV Mobile or Elite Suites or an Excel. The Redwoods I have looked at have a lot of bling to make trumpeter, but not finished well.

That is my 2 cents worth.

Kem
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
There is a reason the Redwood is less than the Excel. Also the DRV Traction is the entry level DRV. The Tradition and Redwood both use a 12" I-beam frame. The higher end DRV and Excel use a stronger box section frame and are heavier.

You would do better buying a 3 to 5 year old DRV Mobile or Elite Suites or an Excel. The Redwoods I have looked at have a lot of bling to make trumpeter, but not finished well.

That is my 2 cents worth.

Kem
Second that!

But not sure about Excel being equal to DRV.
But then I'm talking about the Suites series, not the Tradition.

Sheff

2012 3500 Dodge dually
sheff69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

For 'part time' just a few months a year any of these would do. Just don't pack any real full of stuff. And for limited part time you could look at Jayco, Heartland, and a lot more.

For some reason Redwood kinda turned me off. Oh, they were dark inside.

I will make a point to look at Excel somehow before I pick a full time unit.

If I had to pick in 2 hours I would pick a used Mobile Suites and fix it up the way we would like it by removing as much carpet as possible.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
RV Trip Wizard
The Redwood now has a Natural Cherry option, the woodwork is considerably lighter than the stained cherry.
0nTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I might be a bit prejudice, but I'd go with the Excel and never look back. The 2006 36BDO I have is amazingly quiet inside no matter what is going on outside. It can nearly be cooled with an ice cube, and heated with a candle. Not to mention all of the other nicely thought out features Peterson Industries offer(s)(ed) even on my seven year old unit.

I am planning on trading up sometime this year. When I do, it will defiantly be an Excel Limited ordered from the factory. Yes, it will cost a bit more than so may others, but the quality is worth the extra $$s.

Okay.... So much for my nickel plug for Peterson Industries...
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Having owned our Mobile Suites since it was new in 2004, I can definitely recommend it for your consideration. It's been a good, solid 5th wheel that's never been back to the factory since we've owned it - nothing other than routine maintenance and repairs have been required. It's quiet, warm in the winter, cool in the summer and comfortable. I'm not even in the market to look for anything newer or different at this point.

If I were you, I'd consider a used Mobile or Elite Suites before a new Tradition insofar as DRV 5th wheels are concerned. FYI, on older units, the Tradition was called "Select Suites".

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #8

Something to consider is weight. I have a 2006 32tk3 Mobile Suites. I want a larger unit that I can safely pull with my GMC 3500 dually. A 40' Mobile Suites I can't. Tradition I can. This is why my choice is Tradition. Many are concerned about the chassis. DRV would not build this unit for full time use and put an inferior chassis under it. That would destroy their reputation.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #9

We purchased our custom ordered Mobile Suites 38RSSB3 in Oct. after having owned two Cedar Creeks both had I-beam/axle problems. So we looked further.

A few things prompted us to go with DRV:
· A much heavier frame and suspension
· We could get the light Oak Interior rather than the popular dark interiors now days.
· The MorRyde IS suspension with 17.5 Wheels & tires
· Was able to delete the bulky Lazy Boy furniture and had Lambright build our rocking/reclining love seat and two easy chairs that recline and swivel. Pulse Lambright guarantees his product for 10 years.
· The MS is more for full timing.
· DRV worked well with us on building our unit to our specs and add ons.
Our experience with some other mfg. was here's what we can do take it or leave it. If you are spending hard earned money get what you want and enjoy it.
agcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto hauler View Post
I might be a bit prejudice, but I'd go with the Excel and never look back. The 2006 36BDO I have is amazingly quiet inside no matter what is going on outside. It can nearly be cooled with an ice cube, and heated with a candle. Not to mention all of the other nicely thought out features Peterson Industries offer(s)(ed) even on my seven year old unit.

I am planning on trading up sometime this year. When I do, it will defiantly be an Excel Limited ordered from the factory. Yes, it will cost a bit more than so may others, but the quality is worth the extra $$s.

Okay.... So much for my nickel plug for Peterson Industries...
I just bought a 2013 Redwood 36FB and love it, but sounds like money no object here, I would go with New Horizon with three axles and frame is better than anything mentioned here.
bwallac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdoc View Post
I realize this is similar to another thread, but slightly different comparison with prices for similar options. Considering for part-time RV living (few months/year):
Excel 34IKE Winslow @ highest price (about 81% of MSRP)
Redwood 34SK for $13,000 less than Excel
DRV Tradition for $ $22,900 less than Excel
We plan to keep and use for 10 years or so. Good local dealer on Redwood and Excel; purchase Tradition out of state.
I look forward to your thoughts. thanks in advance.
Pigdoc
Tradition - I would buy a Cedar Creek or Montana before a Tradition (IMO)! Looked at a couple in Corpus Christi a few days ago- Build may be the same as those upper-mid-level 5'vers I mentioned but each one I looked at, the appearance seemed lacking! IMO

Redwood - Looked nice but same build as the 5'vers I mentioned! Just a few more bling items! IMO

Excel - Is the quality unit among the 3 even the Winslow, the boxed frame makes it the best of the three! IMO

These are the three units you inquired about. It's your money spend it as you see fit. I see RV repair trucks servicing different brands in my winter location even the high end/high cost units!
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Something to consider is weight. I have a 2006 32tk3 Mobile Suites. I want a larger unit that I can safely pull with my GMC 3500 dually. A 40' Mobile Suites I can't. Tradition I can. This is why my choice is Tradition. Many are concerned about the chassis. DRV would not build this unit for full time use and put an inferior chassis under it. That would destroy their reputation.
It is and 12 inch I-Beam frame. Not the the 15 inch box frame.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Having owned our Mobile Suites since it was new in 2004, I can definitely recommend it for your consideration. It's been a good, solid 5th wheel that's never been back to the factory since we've owned it - nothing other than routine maintenance and repairs have been required. It's quiet, warm in the winter, cool in the summer and comfortable. I'm not even in the market to look for anything newer or different at this point.

If I were you, I'd consider a used Mobile or Elite Suites before a new Tradition insofar as DRV 5th wheels are concerned. FYI, on older units, the Tradition was called "Select Suites".

Rusty
IMO the Tradition does not match the Select Suites!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
I haven't looked at the new Traditions in person, but the Tradition replaced the Select Suites as the entry level DRV 5th wheel, which was the point of my post. If they've decontented the Tradition relative to the Select Suites, I'm not aware of it simply because I have no interest in the product.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excel