Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #1

Opinions about Gen-Y Pin Box (not Gooseneck)

I am considering replacing my Trailair Rotaflex pin box with a Gen-Y pin box. This is the same damping system as their gooseneck/ball adapter box but with a standard pin and skid plate. I am not interested in the gooseneck to retain my PullRite autoslider hitch function and the ability to hitch without lowering the notched tailgate.

Does anybody have experience with this pin box? I suppose the cushioning should be the same as with the gooseneck version? I hope it does make a difference compared to the pretty rigid Rotaflex box...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #2

I like the concept of the GenY with standard king pin/plate (also like it for gooseneck)
Lots of up/down articulation.....does lack for/aft movement----has some but limited

Roto-Flex does have that For/Aft movement but is 'rigid' as for up/down AND is a Lippert Product. YUCK!

I have 4 way articulating 5vr hitch and Demco Glide King pin/pin box
*Demco slide for/aft and articulating hitch tilts side to side and head rotates for/aft. Pretty smooth towing
But they are OLD ...not new current gizmos (2006 models)

If I was looking at a new pin box I would go with the GenY and give it a try
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:28 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm looking at doing the same thing. I've got the same Rota-Flex pin box and was looking at either the Moryde rubber pin box or the Gen Y pin box. I had the Moryde on the previous 5th wheel and it was pretty good, but the Gen Y looks pretty good too.

Don't really care for the Rota-Flex and a buddy had one fail while he was towing. The rubber section above the plate/pin wasn't secured and it fell out. It was a warranty fix at his dealer and it looked like they added some bolts to better secure it.
StuartN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:44 PM   #4

My opinion only based on Gen Y website:

If you are looking to dissipate bouncing forces only then the pin box looks pretty effective.

If you are looking to dissipate chucking forces (fore and aft) I would conclude that it would depend on your pin weight. Their website shows a pin box mounted on a Companion hitch; the parallel support bars are facing downward. In this scenario with a presumably light pin weight, the Gen Y when compressed will be pushing forward on the truck at the precise time your trailer is pushing forward, making chucking worse. With a heavier pin and the support bars being level to up, the pin box will retract at the same time the trailer is pushing forward alleviating chucking forces. The design may be good or have limitations.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
......In this scenario with a presumably light pin weight, the Gen Y when compressed will be pushing forward on the truck at the precise time your trailer is pushing forward, making chucking worse.......
I think your analysis of the pin linkage is correct but covers only small part of the total mechanical system.

The forward/backward "chucking" motion does not come out of nowhere. Usually it happens when driving over long bumps in the road like bridges or wavy surface. That means it starts with a vertical motion of the truck rear end that makes the trailer tilt backward. But since the center of gravity of the trailer is maybe a foot or two above the tilt rotation axis (wheel bearing(s)), this CG is also moved horizontally, trying to yank the truck backwards. To make it worse, a fraction of a second later, the trailer rolls over the same bump, tilting it forward and pushing the truck forward as well. Given the springiness of the suspensions and the significant masses involved, there is an oscillation for a few seconds before everything gets stable again.

In that scenario, a horizontal damper like the MorRyde box may improve the symptoms (the actual chucking), while I hope a vertical damper like the Gen-Y or the AirRide/FlexAir/Reese boxes may reduce the root cause (tilting/pitch) on uneven roads and also be gentler on the truck suspension and trailer chassis.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
I think your analysis of the pin linkage is correct but covers only small part of the total mechanical system.

The forward/backward "chucking" motion does not come out of nowhere. Usually it happens when driving over long bumps in the road like bridges or wavy surface. That means it starts with a vertical motion of the truck rear end that makes the trailer tilt backward. But since the center of gravity of the trailer is maybe a foot or two above the tilt rotation axis (wheel bearing(s)), this CG is also moved horizontally, trying to yank the truck backwards. To make it worse, a fraction of a second later, the trailer rolls over the same bump, tilting it forward and pushing the truck forward as well. Given the springiness of the suspensions and the significant masses involved, there is an oscillation for a few seconds before everything gets stable again.

In that scenario, a horizontal damper like the MorRyde box may improve the symptoms (the actual chucking), while I hope a vertical damper like the Gen-Y or the AirRide/FlexAir/Reese boxes may reduce the root cause (tilting/pitch) on uneven roads and also be gentler on the truck suspension and trailer chassis.
We're talking the same language. Trailer front tires roll over a bump and lifts the front of the trailer. Milliseconds later, the front tire roll off the bump and the rear tires roll up lifting the rear and lowering the front. The trailer is rotating around an axis. Picture the hitch being on the roof above that axis, the movement would be 100% fore and aft (chucking). Now, picture the hitch being level with the axis, 100% of the forces would be bouncing forces (up and down) like in a bumper hitch. With the high hitch position of a fifth wheel, there is a mix of bouncing and chucking forces; the trailer pushes down and forward at the same time. All trailers are different and the extent varies.

My trailer was a severe chucker with a solid hitch (Patriot). I bought a Trailer Saver TS3 which has hinged linkage to retract the kingpin when compressed. This hitch completely eliminated chucking forces from reaching my truck. I believe the Gen Y will do the same if set up correctly. This is why the Goosebox is effective at reducing chucking; front pivot point with the moment arm at the correct angle. This is also why many are unhappy with the TailAir pin boxes; rear pivot and the wrong angles.

I hope you enjoy your tow with whatever you decide.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #7

Thanks!
I contacted Gen-Y and sent them pictures and measurements as well asking Pullrite if they have a concern.

Pullrite is O.K. with the pin box but they don't have a custom capture plate for it. I could use their "universal" capture plate which is a contraption with many screws and several parts or I could just weld a capture plate to the pin box skid plate.

Gen-Y still needs to get back. I compared the measurements and the Gen-Y box would move the trailer 3" backward which is probably O.K., giving me a little more clearance to the cab (which I do not need with my autoslider hitch).
But it would also raise the trailer front approx. 2" even mounted to the top row of chassis holes. I don't really like that. Or would that not be noticeable?
Old 11-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #8

Not a fan of 'Universal' and dang sure would not be welding a capture plate on brand new hitch.

2" high can be considered Nose-High and transfer more weight to trailers rear axle/tires

PullRite Auto Slider and GenY pin box is sounding less desirable
Old 11-30-2021, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
...PullRite Auto Slider and GenY pin box is sounding less desirable
Yes, I agree. Not so worried about the capture plate, I could rig up something nicer. But raising the trailer front does not cut it for me. I don't think it is the hitch combination but maybe this Lippert "Space-Saver" chassis is just lower in the front. Could be the reason why Lippert does not approve the Goosebox for this chassis while they do for the older/standard chassis types.

I could of course convert my truck to a low rider
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	350206  
Old 11-30-2021, 09:33 PM   #10

Then you have to do hydraulics so you can put groceries in bed of truck...LOL
Old 12-02-2021, 12:49 PM   #11

Gen-Y did get back and recommended the 4500 lbs version. Actually they also sell a capture plate for the Pullrite hitch that is rather easy to install.

Now I did find a Youtube review of a guy who did replace the Rotaflex box with the Gen-Y gooseneck box

It is not too enthusiastic. While he will keep the Gen-Y because of the bed space issues, after 2000 miles he believes the ride with the Gen-Y is not noticeable better than with the Rotaflex box.

Surely just a single opinion, but makes me even doubt more if that replacement is worthwhile.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #12

I replaced my standard pin box with the Gen-y pin box on my toy hauler. After the first couple hundred miles it was a noticeable difference on bridges and rough spots on the interstate. Watching it in the mirror you can definitely see it working. The issue I had and Gen-y couldnít help me with is I had to mount it in the top holes in the frame to not raise the front in over 13í6Ē. Since my nose cap sticks out past the hitch when it is ďflexingĒ it come within a half inch of hitting the nose cap. I have a B&W hitch and it is in the lowest setting so I canít change that. They offered to build me a custom pin box but I didnít even discuss the cost. I have about 8ins of bed rail clearance were itís mounted. I will say it is well made and heavy. Over all itís better than what I had.