Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #15
JDT

Amen, Russell. We had slide toppers on a motorhome and when we sold it they were beginning to sag and really flap in the wind. We don't have them on the Excel and never missed them in the 6 seasons we have had it. The residential fridge is a preference, granted, but having had both and numerous cooling issues with a Norcold 1200, my choice is residential style. Samsung fridges are very rv friendly as they can tolerate both a modified sine wave and pure sine wave inverter. We have driven all day with our Samsung running and never had an issue. The lowest voltage on our 2 6 volt batteries I have ever seen at the end of one of those days was 12.3. Finally, ours is well anchored but since I have never had it out not sure how it is done.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #16

I say YES to both.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2tuck View Post
Thanks for the info guys! Think I’m gonna go with his one and get the deal going tomorrow. I like camping but again, this one is going to be a work home that stays put most of the time.
Sounds like a great decision for you. Hope the purchase process is smooth and you are set and ready once spring arrives.

Safe travels.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #18

Spring? I’ll be bringing it back to West Texas in a couple weeks lol
C2tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #19

I don't know anything about slide toppers but I would highly recommend the residential fridge. If the fridge is in a slideout than I almost guarantee you that it will not work right. I replaced my norcold with a Samsung and it is really secured properly.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #20

The RV fridge is not just for boondocking. Where we store our trailer we do not have access to 120 VAC. If not for the propane option, we would not be able to precool the fridge before leaving on a camping trip. We typically visit the Storage lot 1 or 2 days before our trip and turn the fridge on. We can then load the fridge either the evening before we leave or the morning we leave.
W.J. Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #21

When I had my shop built I had the electrician put 30 and 50 amp plugs on the rear corner just for that purpose. So it’s a non issue for me.
C2tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.J. Demo View Post
The RV fridge is not just for boondocking. Where we store our trailer we do not have access to 120 VAC. If not for the propane option, we would not be able to precool the fridge before leaving on a camping trip. We typically visit the Storage lot 1 or 2 days before our trip and turn the fridge on. We can then load the fridge either the evening before we leave or the morning we leave.
I understand your dilemma. It's a shame they can't seem to make a 4 door RV fridge that is safe and long lasting. The old 2 door RV fridges used to last forever. Also, before they started putting slides in everything (I love them) the propane fridges vented straight up through a vent in the roof, which worked great. Now that more of them are in the slides (like mine was) they have to vent out the side and if the RV manufacturer doesn't really closely follow installation procedures (like mine didn't) then the propane fridge is bound to fail. Actually, the Samsung RF18 I installed in mine gets cold so fast that I think you could safely load food into it pretty quick after turning it on. I haven't timed it but it is FAST. I promise you that they don't take 24 hours to cool down. Good luck.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #23

To solve the refrig pre cool issue for weekend camping, we would put frozen items in the refrig and treat it as a giant cooler. This allowed the food to thaw that we planned to cook and also cooled the refrig w/o turning it on until we arrived to the cg. This was years ago when the past practice was to not run the LP refrig while traveling.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:51 AM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Opinions on slide awnings and res fridge

Yes to both the slide keeps all debris out From inside coach or RV refrigerator is great you got big freezer , for ice cream none of the other ref keep ice cream
highsticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #25

Here is a long thread regarding the facts of modern residential reefers, including photos and issues such as power consumption.

And yes, they are secured into place using steel brackets preventing movement.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...pging/1/page/1

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #26

We won't ever have another RV that doesn't have slide toppers. We camp a lot in pine tree covered spots & I was getting too shakey on a step ladder blowing them off when packing up.
No experience with the fridge, only had the standard norcold/dometics .
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Slide toppers are a must have. Never had any problems
with Norcold 1200. 8 years, 84,000 miles, 500+ nights
on the road.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wish I had slide toppers on my Landmark. I had to scrape ice off of 2 of the 3 and that's not fun since it's easy to tear the roof. The other one had thawed out already. I'd never have another absorption fridge as long as I RV!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, fridge, slide