Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Opinions on truck for towing 5th Wheel

DH and I are looking at a Palamino Columbus 320RS

GVWR 14636
Hitch Weight. 2422
UVW. 11636
OFF. 3000
37' 7"

We are total novices and looking forward to full-timing at retirement in a couple years. We have done lots of research on the RVs and are pretty set on the Palamino or a Montana. What we have zero confidence about is selecting an appropriate truck for the tow vehicle. We've been told Ford F350 DWR. Also, that we need a long bed. We're having trouble finding the long bed in that model, with duallys. Is it necessary to special order a truck for a fifth wheel or will it be possible to find them used?

Thanks for any help you can offer and putting up with what are probably obvious questions from newbies.
glendaembree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #2

you can find f350 or 3500 used. DRW is the way to go for 5th wheels. Greater stability with 4 tires. once you have truck and trailer dont skimp on hitch.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaembree View Post
DH and I are looking at a Palamino Columbus 320RS

GVWR 14636
Hitch Weight. 2422
UVW. 11636
OFF. 3000
37' 7"

We are total novices and looking forward to full-timing at retirement in a couple years. We have done lots of research on the RVs and are pretty set on the Palamino or a Montana. What we have zero confidence about is selecting an appropriate truck for the tow vehicle. We've been told Ford F350 DWR. Also, that we need a long bed. We're having trouble finding the long bed in that model, with duallys. Is it necessary to special order a truck for a fifth wheel or will it be possible to find them used?

Thanks for any help you can offer and putting up with what are probably obvious questions from newbies.
First, the part that I've put in BOLD. If I remember correctly, Ford only made the shorter bed Dually trucks for a couple of years....maybe around the 2008-2009 time period. There should literally be lots and lots of long bed Duallys out there, and in fact, if you find the short bed Dually, it actually pretty unusual.

Let's take a look at your numbers....
GVWR 14636
Hitch Weight. 2422
UVW. 11636
OFF. 3000
37' 7"

First, UVW is a pretty useless number.....no one goes camping with an empty trailer. It will be loaded except maybe the day you bring it home. The hitch weight, which is actually called pin weight on a 5ver also reflects the empty weight of the trailer most likely....and again, you are not going to be hauling around an empty trailer for your camping/living in it.

So let's look at some realistic, real world numbers. GVWR....that is the maximum amount of weight the trailer should ever be loaded to....in other words, the weight of the trailer plus your cargo (3000 lbs) for a total of 14,636. Most folks, when trying to figure out what size tow vehicle they are going to need use a formula that is.....take the GVWR (14,636 lbs) and multiply that number times 20%....which would give you 2927 lbs of pin weight. It sometimes is a bit higher and once in a while a bit lower, but the 20% calculation will get you pretty close. Now you are going to add in the weight of the 5ver hitch...175-200 lbs and we are at say 3100 lbs. Next up on the list is passenger(s) weight, tools, toolbox, firewood, grill, etc, etc. You would be able to answer that part of the equation better than I, as I don't know what all you are going to bring along either in the bed or in the cab of the truck. Just for round numbers, let's say an additional 500 lbs. That puts you up to 3600 lbs of weight that you are expecting your truck to be able to handle as far as payload capacity. Now the question of which truck is up to the task. You mentioned Ford, but they all work the same way so I'll just give you some general info. Every modern day car/truck/etc will have a sticker on the vehicle (usually on the driver side door post area) that will many times be white with yellow highlighting. That sticker/decal will tell you the payload capacity of THAT truck, as it was built and came off of the assembly line You need to have a truck that has the payload capacity at a somewhat higher number of available payload than the actual weight that you are going to put in it.

Now a bit about the truck's payloads and how it works. Take a basic 1Ton Single Rear Wheel truck....regular cab, 2WD, gas engine instead of Diesel, and let's say it's an XL trim and not a Lariat or King Ranch. The second truck we want to look at is a 1Ton Single Rear Wheel, CrewCab, 4WD, Diesel engine and lets say a Lariat or Platinum or King Ranch. There will most likely be a 1000 lbs difference in payload between those two trucks and the plain Jane regular cab, 2WD truck will have more payload. The more stuff on the truck equipment wise, the less payload you are going to have.

So the 5ver that you are looking at could quite possibly be, with the hitch...3100-3200 lbs and that's before you add all the other stuff up that I mentioned. That weight is getting to the upper limits of a Single Rear Wheel (SRW) 1 Ton truck.....and remember, you haven't allow for the rest of the stuff

My suggestion to you is to take the numbers that I've given you in regard to the trailer and hitch, then work at trying to figure out how much extra stuff you will be hauling, and total it up and start looking for the truck that will have a payload sticker on the door that will give you some margin of safety over the numbers that you came up with. My guess is that unless you want a regular cab, 2WD, XL work type truck, you are going to be hard pressed to find a SRW truck that will handle 3800-3900 lbs of payload.

Hopefully this will give you some direction to start your search, and remember this. You may think that you will NEVER load up 3000 lbs of cargo in your trailer, but if you are going full time in a couple of years, I would bet that the trailer will be running at GVWR most of the time. Buy a truck that will easily handle that weight on a regular basis.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #4

DRW is probably better but you could very likely run with a SRW 350/3500 and stay within all of the ratings of the truck. This thread will undoubtedly digress into the usual SRW vs. DRW debate so don't be alarmed.

I always figure a loaded trailer under 15K is okay with a SRW. Once you get above that it's DRW land. As long as you stay within the ratings of the truck you are perfectly safe and doing things correctly.

Long bed makes your hitch selection and towing much easier since you don't need one that slides or anything fancy like that. You could make a Short bed work is you really want to have the extra 2' of bed.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #5

Xrated pretty much drove that nail home...find a truck that can handle your pin weight + all the “truck stuff” NEVER go off empty weights, automatically assume your trailer is maxed out when looking at a TV.

I love the stability of my drw verses the srw I had before
Old 07-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Go with a good used 1 ton Diesel powered truck. You should be able to find them with the 5th wheel hitch attaching points already installed or your RV Dealer can install it for you. If you don’t get a long bed make sure your hitch is a slider so it can adjust for tight maneuvering. Find one with the highest payload you can find. The more bells and whistles on the truck the lower the payload normally. Have fun looking. Let us know what decide on the truck and 5er.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:40 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO xrated makes a very good case for determining the truck.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #8

This trailer is right on the DRW/SRW line, at least for CC Diesel trucks. If you want an aux tank, tool box and bells and whistles I’d recommend the DRW. For a lightly loaded work truck model, you may find an SRW adequate. The loaded Lariat F350 I poked my head in while shopping this year had under 3200 pounds of payload...

Finding a long bed DRW should be no issue used or new. Ford hasn’t made a short bed DRW since...I don’t know when.

I love my dually...only thing I’d do different is get the 3.55 gears vs the 4.10s.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #9

We had pretty much ruled out SRW. Thanks so much for the "formula" for calculating what's necessary. That's incredibly helpful!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #10

Thank you! That's actually very encouraging.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #11

You all have been great! Thanks for the advice. Hope your week's are full of blessings!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #12

Real World .....
I have a 2007 3500 SRW and tow a 13,873# (scaled weight) 5th wheel with a 3080# pin weight
Puts me right at trucks RAWR and under rear tire load ratings

We FTd for 7 yrs all over the USA
Great combo/match...........tows smooth/never a white knuckler/no OMG wish I had a dually.

Many newer 250/2500 are very similar in ratings as my old 3500

SO a newer model 350/3500 SRW will be more then adequate for a 14K 5th wheel
Heck....even a 16K 5th wheel

You can go dually BUT many SRWs will be a good match

Just an example of real world numbers/experience
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Truck ratings notwithstanding, I feel much more comfortable when the loaded tow vehicle weighs more than 30 - 35% of the total weight of the rig.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #14

While spending the money get the DRW. Better a little too much truck than not quite enough. You'll not regret having the extra stability while if you go SWR you might start wondering "what if"
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing