Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 07:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Buy a gently used unit. Live with it for awhile until you start upgrading, making changes.
If when you make another purchase you will have a better idea of what is important to you.
X2
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #30

I bought used and saved way more money than any warranty issue would cost. It was only a year old and the owner took very good care of it. Saved a ton of money.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Let the previous owner(s) take the depreciation. No matter what you buy, you will likely upgrade or sell in a few years.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #32

Unlike so many others who say "Floor plan is the most important thing in selecting an RV" I tend to disagree. I have had several tow behind campers, a class C and now a class A. I don't plan on rivaling the national debt to get what I think is the perfect floor plan or anything else.
I have found through the years it is easier for me to adjust than trying to adjust things to satisfy me or others around me.
My list of things I don't want is much longer than the list of what I do want.
One thing I did insist on when shopping for my class A was a dinette as opposed to a table and chairs. I don't want things sliding around as I am driving down the highway. The added storage under the dinette seats is a plus also. If I was full timing I might think differently but I have no intention of living in a cracker box full time.
Take ten different folks into an RV and you will get ten different views of the unit.
Compare what you will pay for new as opposed to what you would pay for used of comparable units then look what at the values of these RV's will be five years down the road. How much are you willing to lose? If you don't care, more power to you. If you do, then this might be helpful in making your final decision of buying new vs. used.
Lynn
Old 08-24-2017, 05:56 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAndLin View Post
So... here's the conundrum... we are on the verge of buying- the timing is almost right, we have narrowed to two models, we have been researching and asking questions here and other forums (thanks for all your answers!) and have gotten great advice and input.

I am pretty confident about how to make a relatively good deal for a purchase off the dealer's lot if we choose to buy there instead of private but I had a question now that I have not seen asked or answered. At the risk of starting a co flick, I just have to ask;

If we consider ordering a new unit, I can get exactly what I want. How much of a discount could I negotiate in a purchase of an new, ordered-per-my-specs from the factory (within reason!) fifth wheel? Any ideas based on your experiences?

Related to that, I am wondering if those of you who bought your rig new wished you had bought used and those of you who bought used wish you ordered what you wanted instead of worrying about mods?

Waiting to hear,

Lindsay

I would surmise that even with ordering new, you should be able to achieve no less than 25% off retail, and I would be aiming for 30%, hoping for at least 27%.

I purchased my current rig new, and haven't regretted that decision at all. In my mind, this is a case by case basis. Depending on the rig I wanted, I would compare the availability of new on the lot, vs ordering, vs. gently used available on the market. Coupled with the WHICH dealers I would have to deal with, and the time of year, and features available per year model... all of this would factor into my decision. I don't think there is a one size fits all answer to your question on gently used vs new.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I would surmise that even with ordering new, you should be able to achieve no less than 25% off retail, and I would be aiming for 30%, hoping for at least 27%.

I purchased my current rig new, and haven't regretted that decision at all. In my mind, this is a case by case basis. Depending on the rig I wanted, I would compare the availability of new on the lot, vs ordering, vs. gently used available on the market. Coupled with the WHICH dealers I would have to deal with, and the time of year, and features available per year model... all of this would factor into my decision. I don't think there is a one size fits all answer to your question on gently used vs new.
What should you ask for on used models ?
Fulltimdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #35

The term gently used doesn't settle well with me. How many times have you seen current year models for sale? Why are they for sale? Is it because the floorplan wasn't what the original owner really wanted, the owner couldn't afford it or was it a lemon?
I wouldn't buy anything used unless I had the option of talking to the previous owner and asking these questions among others.
It's too bad there isn't an "RV Fax" for these situations unless I personally knew the owner and was buying directly from them.
Lynn
Old 10-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #36

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post

It's too bad there isn't an "RV Fax" for these situations unless I personally knew the owner and was buying directly from them.
Lynn
Thanks for your reply! I agree an "RVFax" would be great! Isn't it interesting all the different opinions? That was what I was hoping to see... :-)

I do have a follow-up question. There is talk all throughout all the various forums I have been visiting about discounts on new units ordered from the manufacturer but how does someone actually go about that? Is it a "Say, I really like this one and I would like to order it but I want 25% off!) (or whatever %%%)

I understand negotiating for a unit that is on the lot, eating up inventory/storage costs for a dealer, but how do you negotiate for one not yet built? That is the question...

Inquiring minds need to know!

:-)

Lindsay
RayAndLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #37

Lindsay,
A few thoughts and questions to add.
Firstly, when ordering new you need to make an offer high enough to make it worth the dealers time, admin, and warranty responsibilities to make the sale. On the other hand unless the offer is conditional, I assume to order a new unit reduces tisk and cost of sitting on the lot. But I'd like to hear from others too.

In this vein, what is appropriate for ordering new? Size of deposit? Is it refundable or under what conditions? Is financing finalized when ordering or on pickup? Do all manufacturers allow factory pickup or only Newmar? What else does one consider or watch for when ordering?
Bubbs33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
The term gently used doesn't settle well...

Why are they for sale? Is it because the floorplan wasn't what the original owner really wanted, the owner couldn't afford it or was it a lemon
Lynn
If you are worried about "lemons"...

Just remember that "lemon" was purchased new by someone who thought buying new would avoid buying someone else's lemon!

There are a lot of good used units out there. .. just need to do ypu homework and due diligence.
If you buy new best to plan on FPU and a return trip to the factory.
You might be pleasantly surprised and avoid it but probability of new and trouble free unlikely?

Agree ability to talk w PO could make or break a deal... same w availability of service records.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy used, from a private party. Dealers suck, and they lie - you will get a better RV and price from a private party. Select a couple three quality brands. Then targeted models/floorplans in those brands. Develop a must have and nice to have lists. Decide how far distant you will go for the right RV. On the money side, determine a budget and go back in years till the budget and RV values align. Set aside money for tires, batteries, servicing, repairs, and any wanted changes (suggest to use as is for awhile before changing anything).

Now, start the hunt - don't be in a rush. The right unit will come along.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #40

I try to find 3-4 year old vehicles and campers as a general rule and it works best for me. The good is I can usually get it for half of what the original owner paid and get to see how the vehicle handled the use/wear. Also, I don't feel guilty making modifications to a used unit as compared to changing the flooring on a new camper. The bad is you need to be flexible such as color or options and it helps if you have Cash In Fist. I can usually sell the vehicle/camper in another 4 years with as little as 25% depreciation.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:30 PM   #41

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks, everyone!

My thanks to all of you who commented. This thread had coasted for a bit and then the last few days, it perked up again! Lots of different viewpoints each with their strengths- just what I hoped to see.

The great thing about shopping is that just for a little while, all of them are yours! It has been fun imagining living in one model and then another, bouncing back and forth between Class C, Class A, travel trailer, or 5th wheel. Now the budget is set, configuration/layout preferences determined, the purchase window identified.

We have finally narrowed to three 5th Wheel models made by Northwoods Mfg. We are making a trip down to our 'local' dealer (about 150 miles away) to do a final compare/contrast of the three to set which will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Then I continue watching RVTrader, et al, for 'our' unit. I would prefer buying from an individual as opposed to a dealer; we will be looking for the services of an inspector when the time comes.

All in all, it has been a great ride! I hope in the not-too-distant future that I will be changing our signature to add our new RV.

:-)

Lindsay
RayAndLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:37 PM   #42

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
People's requirements and wants vary greatly so as does there budget and ability to perform service on their rig. We bought used about four years ago and have been very happy. At the time of our purchase our Excel was almost seven years old. Only really required repair was a change out of the axles and springs and upgrade to disk brakes. I've done and still making other mods to better suite our exact needs.

We travel now for extended trips, one to four four months at a time plus some shorter outings. This is not full time but we do put on some miles on the longer trips. The way you'll use an RV for weekend/short trips will be different than on extended adventures. So needs will vary.

I consider the frame and suspension system to be critical for a longer life on an RV. Big difference in custom made frame vs. some industry standard frame. Before you sign anything make sure you have checked out interior access to frig, bath, bed, etc while the slides are in. Some floor plans makes it very difficult to use the rig when closed up. Designers rarely ever use the rigs they design.

Keep in mind that new RVs will arrive with factory defects, while they be covered under warranty the repair time may be lengthy and prevents you using the RV and also eats into the warranty period. A good used unit should have had these issues already resolved. Keep in mind that all RVs will require service and some repairs, way beyond what you experience with cars/trucks. So far I've been able to do 100% of all the service and mods on our rig so I can keep this cost down somewhat. Be aware that while some RV service centers do quality work, others do much less than quality work.

What ever you get, use it have fun and be safe.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote