Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Our cell phones won't work in Canada

We'll be leaving for Canada, from St. Louis, in about a week and a half. Our cell phones will not work there. We are still newbies. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Jim
Pawjam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I have AT&T and they work in Canada. If I don't purchase the Intl plan , the rates would be sky high. Who is your provider?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawjam3 View Post
We'll be leaving for Canada, from St. Louis, in about a week and a half. Our cell phones will not work there. We are still newbies. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Jim
Add the international plan for whatever time you will be there to your package....cancel it when you return.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
We went to Canada in '07. I used my cell phone and my computer, with an air card, to get online. Verizon is my carrier. However, I totally forgot about "Roaming Charges" and received an $850.00 roaming charge, when we got back home. We were only there, just over a week! Whew! I won't do that again.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #5

We use Tracfone, prepaid. We also use Skype when at a place that offers wifi. I'm just concerned about not being able to call "roadside assistance" in case of a breakdown.
Pawjam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stop at the first Walmart in Canada and buy a Trac Phone with the minutes.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tracfones and Net10 do not work in Canada.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
We went to Canada in '07. I used my cell phone and my computer, with an air card, to get online. Verizon is my carrier. However, I totally forgot about "Roaming Charges" and received an $850.00 roaming charge, when we got back home. We were only there, just over a week! Whew! I won't do that again.
Next time you are going to cross the border call Verizon before crossing and tell them you want to cover Canada for a period of time, then remember to cancel when you cross back over to the lower 48. THis will help you avoid the $850.00 kind of bills.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
When my daughter visits from Australia, she buys a sim card from T mobile that she can plug into her Australian Iphone (they have removable sim cards) and gets a temporary number. If your phone has a removable sim card, you could do the same in Canada.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
I would think its the same as Canadians coming South....head to Walmart and buy a phone or call your Cell phone company for a specific plan for Canada......Sign up for Gmail and you can use Gmail to phone any phone in the US or Canada. Doing a little digging on your part can save you money and hassle.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #11

My recommendation would be to buy a Canadian pre-paid phone once you cross the border at a Canadian WalMart or similar store and then let everyone who calls you regularly know what your Canadian number is.

You might even be able to get your US phone service provider to re-direct calls to your Canadian number until you return to the US.

We are British citizens and have a UK cell-phone. Whenever we go to the UK, we call the phone company from the airport to reactivate the phone and then send our US friends an e-mail with our UK cell-phone number. Unfortunately, it changes every time we reactivate.

We've even lent the phone to friends who have gone to the UK - it works for them also.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
When my daughter visits from Australia, she buys a sim card from T mobile that she can plug into her Australian Iphone (they have removable sim cards) and gets a temporary number. If your phone has a removable sim card, you could do the same in Canada.
I have done this with my AT&T iPhone, but I can't do it with my Verizon iPhone, Verzion does not have a SIM card. I have both AT&T and Verzion iPhones. )one is for work and the peter is my personal phone in case you were wondering why I have 2).
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
By far, the easiest way to get a local phone for emergencies and other use abroad is to get an Unlocked GSM phone. This is the type that has a sim card. When you get to where you are going, buy a prepaid talk plan from the local phone company, put the card in and away you go. In Canada, the companies that support GSM are Rogers and Fido. There may be some others too but those two companies (really 1 company) are pretty big. As for the phone, You can get them on EBay but they must be unlocked. For temporary use phones, I have snagged a couple from junk piles and such and unlocked them where I could. They are good enough for foreign travel and you can do this around the world. Prepaid phones you may get from the phone companies may be locked to them only and in some cases unlocking can be hard or you have to have special expertise and equipment to do it.

I would be willing to bet money if you ask around a bit, you can probably find someone with an old gsm phone that they don't use any more. Snag it, do a google search on it for unlocking and see what comes up. If you go that route and you aren't sure, pm me with the make and model and I will see if I can find out for you
Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #14

Tell your provider your going and they should have a plan for you with a service charge. or you can rent a phone for the time your gone
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote