Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2005, 06:05 PM   #1

Iam getting my 5th wheel next feb for the 2006 Golf season..
Can we still over night at walmarts?? and cracker barrels.
My first trip will be from Destin to Phoniex... Planned to stay at walmart in Baton Rouge.. Then there is another right past Houston...Than a truck stop at Ft Stockson (Think I have made this trip before??? I know rt 10 like the back of my hand)
Anyway I heard somewhere that Walmarts were changing there policies

Thanks

n \ Tom Grogan LPGA Golf Caddy
destin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2005, 06:05 PM   #2

Iam getting my 5th wheel next feb for the 2006 Golf season..
Can we still over night at walmarts?? and cracker barrels.
My first trip will be from Destin to Phoniex... Planned to stay at walmart in Baton Rouge.. Then there is another right past Houston...Than a truck stop at Ft Stockson (Think I have made this trip before??? I know rt 10 like the back of my hand)
Anyway I heard somewhere that Walmarts were changing there policies

Thanks

n \ Tom Grogan LPGA Golf Caddy
Old 10-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #3

I'm not sure of WalMart changing their policy. Some of them( WalMarts) cannot allow overnighters because of local laws,(Showlow Az.)Is one. I hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go in and ask the Manager
You should also plan on staying in a campground or a truck stop just incase.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:13 AM   #5

When I am covering ground and don't want the bother of checking in, probably unhooking, etc, I will look for a Walmart. Easy in, quick out. I only found one Sams on the way home from Alaska that did not allow overnighting - - moved over to the Walmart - - no problem. You can roll in later and leave earlier. Try to look for the 24 hour Super WallMart - - that is the most likely to allow overnighting.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:13 AM   #6

Destin 100

Just got back 9 states. All the Super Centers (open 24 hrs) that I saw allowed it. Super Centers also have 24 hr. security. For putting on the miles, I find two nights (MAX) at Wal-Mart, and then a park work out real well. If your situation works out. I had several visits going to Arkansas, and Missouri, but none coming home, so miles and being a little late were important.
Sacramento Ca, as well as the small Wal-Mart in Roseville here have disallowed overnight parking. People have ruined it for others. They tend to try to live there. I see rigs with three slides out, barbeque going, getto blaster blasting. Its no wonder!!!
Then again CALIFORNIA rest stops don't want you there either.
Have FUN!!
Billy M

Billy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:23 AM   #7

Just got back from Auburn Ca Played the Ridge Golf club.Anyway thanks for the replay....Question......I would want to put out my slides and start up my honda 2000 gen . Would that be alright at a Walmart. ! more quwstion . Can we overnight at Cracker Barrel?

Thanks \\Tom
Old 10-14-2005, 04:36 PM   #8

I always try to park in a very out of the way place in the parking lot and position the trailer along an outside edge. This allows two slides (the bed mainly) to be put out usually over the grass or landscaping. I do not run my genny because I have just finished a days travel and my batteries are charged. You might consider a small inverter to run the TV if that is why you want to run the genny.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #9

Thanks Good advice on th e 2 slides (like mine) I would want to run the gen (Honda2000) for the sat t v I hear that the honda is real quiet

Thanks Again

Tom
Old 10-15-2005, 07:44 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
In August we returned from an 11000 mile trip around the country. The link is in my signature. Of the 49 nights out, we stayed 9 for free at Walmarts, etc. Maybe it will give you some tips. (There were also some not-the-best free overnight stops in there as well!).
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:07 AM   #11

Thanks Rich and Kay for the replay I am buying a 2006 sunnybrook 30RKFS this spring.. I caddy on the LPGA golf tour and we play in Corning in May..Send me a email destin100@aol.com and Ill give you my phone#
A lot of people on tour RV and they tell lme its the Best I have been on Tour 19 years and I am lokoing forward to Rv I am tired of motels
Thanks Everyone for the Great replies

Thanks\\
Tom Grogan
Old 10-21-2005, 07:21 AM   #12

wow what a trip. i drove over the road trucks for 44 years ,, i think you did it all on this trip..what a experiance for the kids and the family in total.. we are in the throws of retirerment and plan on going to some of the same places as you have done.. thanks for the report ,,again great for the real life trip for the kids..
ghosst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:23 PM   #13

The way I understand it is that you do not put out slides,run generaters,BBQ,dump garbage or tanks.You are stopping for a rest or shopping not camping.I had several Wal mart managers expain it to me that it was common courtesy that is extended to customers not a camp site.Makes sense to me.I have seen tanks dumped into storm drains rugs put out,flaming BBQ's,extension cords run to coke coolers[unplugged],awnings out,T.V. outside,etc.We lived next to one for 5 years,what a spectacle.
Cougaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:38 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by camper1b:
In August we returned from an 11000 mile trip around the country. The link is in my signature. Of the 49 nights out, we stayed 9 for free at Walmarts, etc. Maybe it will give you some tips. (There were also some not-the-best free overnight stops in there as well!). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks
that was some darn good reading.
answered about a million questions
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote