RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 10:22 PM   #1

Paradign 5th wheel

Anyone seen this 5th wheel up close and personal ? I have a dealer close by and me and my better half were going to have a look. Price wise similar to the Grand design Solitude. Like the fact they have included some light coloured wood work rather than all dark . Anyways your thoughts. Is this just another "our customer service is better than yours " or does this manufacturer have a chance to really be different ? Thanks
balticblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 10:45 PM   #2

Following. Interested also for others input
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:32 AM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I think they are following in the footsteps og GD early days. Once established, the customer service will suffer just as it has with GD. IMO, they are built any differently or better than anything else.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:13 PM   #4

I have been in one personally. they're on my short list, primarily because they check a few nice boxes for me (most room in the shower for a 310RL "like" trailer)

most have noticed that the founders came from existing companies and that there is a fear that they will head down the same road as their heritage. I don't see it yet, but we will never know until a few more years have passed. At the moment the engagement with prospective customers is good. I'm in frequent correspondence with their lead engineer and their co-founder Coley Brady, and they are both very responsive to my questions. I've learned how the AV system is wired, saw pics of the bathroom articulating seat (and the water seal there), asked about the solar prep, and a few other details. my local dealer is a good one at least from first impressions -- DW and I walked passed the showroom and into the lot, and toured a 310RL ourselves without anyone hounding us. so the dealer is important and (at the moment) the combination of dealer and mfg puts the 310RL in the win column for me anyway. for the price they are in line with others and DW likes it :-)

It will be interesting to see what happens when they get "big". they won't be able to keep up with the demand for support and will have to add people to handle the load. will be an interesting show to watch

Personally I think their marketing has been a little too effective, in that there are folks who are disappointed that its not a modernized Hitchhiker. just do your homework, learn where the market is and prioritize what is important.

in another thread, for example I asked about king size beds and was advised to watch out for making the bed, and if there is enough room to move around the bed sufficient to make it. that was good advice -- it was for this reason that I ruled out the low-end heartland elkridge, but in the Alliance 310 there is enough room in the 72x80 bed for us to make the bed, easily justifying the king.

the slide transition might be of interest to some-- its vinyl all the way around (no carpet) and the "flush slide" design means that there is a layer of vinyl that moves across the floor. they have sewn the leading edges of the slide's vinyl for a nice transition. some have suggested that this will curl up over time; I didn't see evidence of that and in fact the evidence to be is that it will lay down nicely.

so far the only weak spot I found is due to the short length of the 310: the kitchen slide will strike the pantry door knob IF you leave the panty door ajar when bringing in the side. nothing that can't be avoided with a good checklist though.

I suspect there are a lot of construction techniques that will be similar to other brands -- the crown molding is stapled like everyone else for example. other things, like shut-off valves in the PEX pipe -- I couldn't tell you if that is unique or not
Old 12-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As for an alternate, go look at the Vanleigh trailer and the top of the line Beacon.

Ken
Old 12-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
JDT

We looked at everything we could find in the 36 to 37 foot range which included the Vilano, GD Solitude, Big Horn, Redwood and the Pinnacle we wound up with last spring. I really, really wanted to see a Paradigm but at the time the closest was over 300 miles away. All of them had their pluses and minuses. What sold us on the Pinnacle was it checked a few more boxes for the wife, I liked that it came with Goodyear Endurance tires and the dealer was beyond good to us. We've spent about 40 nights in it and maybe 3K miles. So far no reason to take it back to the dealer.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
We looked at everything we could find in the 36 to 37 foot range which included the Vilano, GD Solitude, Big Horn, Redwood and the Pinnacle we wound up with last spring. I really, really wanted to see a Paradigm but at the time the closest was over 300 miles away. All of them had their pluses and minuses. What sold us on the Pinnacle was it checked a few more boxes for the wife, I liked that it came with Goodyear Endurance tires and the dealer was beyond good to us. We've spent about 40 nights in it and maybe 3K miles. So far no reason to take it back to the dealer.
I'm certainly learning the value of a good dealer, and the badness that can happen with a walmart dealer! to me the dealer is a very important part of the equation, and I wouldn't want to drive 300 miles away either (my Alliance dealer is 10 min from my house...). If things go through I'll have more info to share re: the paradigm itself.

a happy DW is the most important :-)
Old 12-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #8

by the way -- isn't there an operating principle of this forum that the most important thing is to have fun?

sometimes we get so wrapped up in details we forget to have fun. let the fun reign supreme!
Old 12-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #9

for those following this topic, here is a more concise list of what I have learned about the paradigm -- most if not all applies to all their 5vers but just in case, in full disclosure I'm looking at the 310

• the truck rail height design point is a 2018 F250: 56 1/5" rail height
  • the shower is bigger because the seat is not molded in -- it is a teak wood fold-up design rated at 300 lbs, mounted with 2x4s in the wall. yes, sealed. I don't know where they purchased the seat -- its not their design.
  • double pane windows adds 300 lbs
  • the 310 GVW is plated lower than its real capacity, given the frame and axles. this was done for marketing reasons.
  • the supplied shore power cord is 36' long
  • the king bed dimensions are 72x80
  • the Lippert main door locks are the same as other brands using Lippert doors -- there are only 100 unique keys in existence
  • The TVs are both LG smart TVs, and take a split signal from a roof-mounted Winegard air 360+
  • The Winegard air 360+ can accept a $300 add-on that provides a CAT 4 cellular modem and will also connect to park WiFi, re-broadcasting Wifi into the Coach as a hot spot
Old 12-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #10

more 310 info
  • the fridge is norcold 2118SS 18 cu ft
  • the backup camera pre-wire is a switched (in the coach) "always on" circuit.
  • the solar prep is a #10 wire from the roof ,
  • there is an empty conduit pre-installed, from roof to basement, to facilitate DIY projects
  • the tires are rated at 4400 lbs, 75mph.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by balticblue View Post
Anyone seen this 5th wheel up close and personal ? I ha dealer close by and me and my better half were going to have a look. Price wise similar to the Grand design Solitude. Like the fact they have included some light coloured wood work rather than all dark . Anyways your thoughts. Is this just another "our customer service is better than yours " or does this manufacturer have a chance to really be different ? Thanks
I've been in them. I still liked my GD better. I think they have a good story and do seem adaptive to user input unlike GD. One of the deal breakers was the non-ducted air conditioning and the requirement, therefore for 3 in the 310'like model.

I didn't care much for the was the bottom outside trim was either compared to other models.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:14 PM   #12

The ACs are an interesting hot topic . Did they save money in ductwork (the bathroom is ducted btw) and fix the airflow problem by using three units? Or did they choose three units and obtain satisfactory air flow while obtaining the ability to run two of them on 30A and all three on 50A at greater total btu?

Id like to hear from folks who have camped in 100 deg temps! By itself, "no ductwork" to me doesn't matter if the coach gets cool and the AC units themselves are effective at establishing "good enough" even cooling.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #13
JDT

Just a few comments on your list. Not advice, just comments.

The 2021 Pinnacle now has the teak fold up shower seat. Plenty of room with the one we have but would be even more with the fold up seat.

We kept our last fifth wheel for 8 years, it had dual pane windows. After 4 or 5 years they started fogging. Most of them had some degree of fogging when we traded it in June. They were an option on our Pinnacle but I didn't want them again. We've had no issue cooling it in 97 degree heat and heating in lower 20 degree temps. We do have sun shades we keep pulled when the sun is hot.

The Pinnacle is rated 15,500 GVWR. Fully loaded for a month long trip it came in at 14,700 total weight. Pin was 3120. We did add a Splendide combo in the front closet and a 220 pound Reese Goose Box replaced the MORRyde pin box it came with. It was listed at 12,725 dry weight which meant with our usual stuff and the stuff we needed for a fall month long trip to the Colorado Rockies added up.

Replaced our door lock very first thing with an RVLocks remote controlled type.

The Pinnacle came with a Furrion not so smart tv in the living room. Replaced it with a Vizio 50 inch smart type. Much better. The LG's will work well.

It also came with the Wingard 360+ and the Gateway router/modem, or whatever it is called. Works great as long as the park has halfway decent wifi.

This has opinions both ways but after losing food 3 different times in a Norcold 1200 in a previous motorhome I will have nothing but a residential. We never go off grid so that is not an issue. We had an 18cf Samsung in the last fifth wheel and the new one has a 21cf Whirlpool side by side. Works great.

The Pinnacle came with a Furrion wireless camera as an option. Never had one before but wouldn't be without it now.

Like I said, these are just comments from my experiences. No advice intended.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #14

Excellent info thank you. I worry about dual panes fogging too....but the benefit to me isnt cooling its outside noise. There are lots of opinions on both sides of the question

What did you notice re outside noise?

I'm actually not that impressed with the winegard for wifi. Given the choice id use it for it's TV antenna and get a pepwave router/wifi

Tags
5th wheel