Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
That's disappointing to hear! I had hoped they were a better alternative to the others.

There is a phenomenon within the RV community that consists of the expectation of lower quality. You will often hear it explained and defended by terms such as "RV owners need to be handy" and "the RV Mfr's cannot be responsible for the individual components" and "that level of quality would make it unaffordable".

Most of these statements are specious, and are nothing more than brand loyalty dressed up in better clothing than the normal pep rally.

If our RV's were autos, they would be a Lada, which was produced in the Soviet Union. "The Lada was an obsolete Fiat, produced at the Togliatti factory south-east of Moscow: bought new, it required extensive repair in order to become roadworthy. Soon after that it would start rusting. Getting it serviced was a nightmarish process involving long waits, the use of personal favors, and unpleasant discoveries. They were the butt of jokes: “How do you double a Lada's value? Fill up the tank”

Think of how many posts are made regarding specification issues: what does the vehicle weigh, how long is it, how tall is it, and all asked sincerely as if these things would be really difficult to determine by a reputable manufacturer.
A dedicated weight table accompanied by laser height, width and length measurements made as the unit leaves assembly, and then with a sticker similar to what is inside the door post of every pickup. "Really, they don't do that?" Yeah, really.

When I first started probing the more hidden areas of ours, I was appalled at the lack of quality workmanship. The times I have contacted NW to ask what or where a component was located it invariably became a guessing game, "well its either under X or behind Y."

What, you mean there is no standard?

No, there is not.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
You didn't mention if you were looking at full-time livable or weekend getaway RVs. The 2500 is gonna be the limiting factor on you, you may want to go ahead and plan on stepping to at least a 3500 SRW to give yourself several more options. I'd add the Redwood to your list to check on. The Vilano 320GK might squeeze in as towable. A Landmark 365 Oshkosh. The River Stone mentwith friends in the Rio Grande Valley. ioned is a nice unit, with the 39FK being a possibility in the weight catagory.
Not "full timing" but will be 1-6 months at a time. We are retired and will probably spend at lest 3 months with friends in the Rio Grande Valley in the winter. Then 1-6 week trips whenever the mood strikes us, or when one of our friends wants to meet somewhere.

We are comfy in our 5th wheel now...but I would really like to have hydraulic jacks and my wife would really like to have a washer and dryer again. A king bed would be a plus too.
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:35 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
You are correct.

In ours, and larger AF units they will accommodate the Splendide combination washer/dryer. They come prepped for that purpose.

We have the Splendide 2100XC Vented unit. The compartment for ours is in the front starboard bedroom, with the vent proceeding to the right and exiting on the starboard side of the trailer. We also had it installed with a sealed poly pan with an overflow drain routed out of the trailer, draining to the underside to the street in case of washer/hose issues.

From our research, the non-vented models are not satisfactory.
I think my wife wants a stacked set. But how well does a vented unit work? I've heard the non vented ones don't work well.
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
I think my wife wants a stacked set. But how well does a vented unit work? I've heard the non vented ones don't work well.
The non-vented ones take a very long time, and often provide less than satisfactory performance.

The vented Splendide model does well for what it is. It is NOT for large loads. It is a front-loader, it cleans very well, and it also dries well. It takes longer than a residential to dry since it is 120v (not 240). One technique to avoid excessive wrinkled drying is to take the washed and spun clothing out, shake them out to "unspin" the compaction out of them, then put them back in for the dry cycle. That of course does not matter for underwear and such. You can launder what 2 people normally wear in a day in one load.

My wife will do two loads a day after we land for the day. First clothing, then towels and wash cloths (2 large bath towels, 2 hand-towels and 2 washcloths). Those do not need tending since on the auto cycle once it washes, it spins and then dries. Nothing required except to remove dry towels in the morning.

We would opt for stacked units but the AF's do not have the space for them.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:28 PM   #19

Pecking order

Give a Cardinal 3350RLX a look. King bed, room for a washer and dryer, large bath, lots of counter space and well made.

They are just under 37’, have hydraulic leveling and room slides.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote