Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2021, 09:04 PM   #1

Pendant lighting

Has anybody seen pendant lighting that looks like this. Luxe said they can't get it anymore and I'm on a hunt to find it but been having no luck. It was used up to and in some 19 models. I'm assuming it's a12 volt but it need to be fairly short so when the slide is pulled in it won't wipe out the light. I've searched the web high and low with no luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210304_213859.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	320120   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210304_213651.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	320121  

20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & ordering a 48fb w/ side patio luxe.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2021, 05:35 AM   #2

Sorry - I've not seen this type. We have pendant lighting in our fifth wheel, but it is far different from what you're showing here.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:42 AM   #3

The majority of what I've seen, others hangs down allot lower and is a farm house style. That won't work here since the slide has to clear under it
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & ordering a 48fb w/ side patio luxe.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:33 AM   #4

I have to repair my own pendant lighting on my trailer since the lighting shade fail in my Cedar Creek. An I could not find a replacement for the glass shade that failed that would fit.

What I did was go to a lighten store and purchase new down rods with hardware and new lamp shades. I than used 12V DC lamp holders from my trailer running new wires to the connection point in the trailer. This worked out great and my wife likes the new look over what Cedar Creek provided.

I would do a search for the lamp holder that is compatible to the 12V DC blub that you want to use and make your own pendant lighting. This way you can pick the glass lamp shades that fit your needs. Along with the correct length so, the light will miss the slide as it is retracted.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I have to repair my own pendant lighting on my trailer since the lighting shade fail in my Cedar Creek. An I could not find a replacement for the glass shade that failed that would fit.

What I did was go to a lighten store and purchase new down rods with hardware and new lamp shades. I than used 12V DC lamp holders from my trailer running new wires to the connection point in the trailer. This worked out great and my wife likes the new look over what Cedar Creek provided.

I would do a search for the lamp holder that is compatible to the 12V DC blub that you want to use and make your own pendant lighting. This way you can pick the glass lamp shades that fit your needs. Along with the correct length so, the light will miss the slide as it is retracted.
Good idea. The sales lady got back with me this morning and said the pendant could not exceed 10" max.
Im not sure if there is any truth to this or not but while I was researching lights last night for hours, as you know the 12 v are limited, i found this article were this guy talked about the same issue and he came up with a hack that I'm not sure if its legit or not. He said you can use any 120v light as long as the bulb you put in it doesn't exceed the 12volt system that your trying to apply. This gives you much more variety too choose from, if its legit. I have wired houses that we have built but I'm not sure about this adaptation.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Good idea. The sales lady got back with me this morning and said the pendant could not exceed 10" max.
Im not sure if there is any truth to this or not but while I was researching lights last night for hours, as you know the 12 v are limited, i found this article were this guy talked about the same issue and he came up with a hack that I'm not sure if its legit or not. He said you can use any 120v light as long as the bulb you put in it doesn't exceed the 12volt system that your trying to apply. This gives you much more variety too choose from, if its legit. I have wired houses that we have built but I'm not sure about this adaptation.
You can use any standard 120V lamp or fixture and install a 12V bulb, be it LED (preferred) or incandescent.

FWIW all the folks I have spoken to have issues with pendant style lamps unless they are trailer park queens. Rough and bumpy roads make them sway and come loose,bend or even break. Heck, last RV show a few years ago we saw quite a few that were already bending and they likely had less than 50km from the RV place to the expo area.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
You can use any standard 120V lamp or fixture and install a 12V bulb, be it LED (preferred) or incandescent.

FWIW all the folks I have spoken to have issues with pendant style lamps unless they are trailer park queens. Rough and bumpy roads make them sway and come loose,bend or even break. Heck, last RV show a few years ago we saw quite a few that were already bending and they likely had less than 50km from the RV place to the expo area.
thanks for the reasurement on the electrical qualifications. I pretty much figured it would not be a long term investment, but I'm Trying too make her happy . On this $200k fiver build, im just trying to get some stuff in there that she likes as well, but most of her requests keep being problems in getting done. Not a good look when all your requests make it into the build model but not the few things that the wife wants
Old 03-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #8

You should be able to pick any light fixture that you want and just change the bulbs over to 12 volt, might have to change to a different socket to fit the bulb..something the custom builder should easy be able to do.... A 200 k build and their not able to source a pendant light that suits your taste seems sad...

I was very excited about Luxe when they first came out, even when RV factory merger thought this would be the answer to the custom toy hauler we were looking for...further investigations , interviews, seeing the componets they were using, build quality, lack of true customised, etc... ehh not so much any more..
Old 03-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmeris View Post
You should be able to pick any light fixture that you want and just change the bulbs over to 12 volt, might have to change to a different socket to fit the bulb..something the custom builder should easy be able to do.... A 200 k build and their not able to source a pendant light that suits your taste seems sad...

I was very excited about Luxe when they first came out, even when RV factory merger thought this would be the answer to the custom toy hauler we were looking for...further investigations , interviews, seeing the componets they were using, build quality, lack of true customised, etc... ehh not so much any more..
Yeah right. It's advertised in pictuers on there home pg but she said they can't get it anymore, go figure. We're doing our tour in May, so well see. Would be a major disappointment to get there and see a bunch of concerning things. Ill admit, I've been a pain in there butts so far as there is about 50 mods were making during the build,and they have been accommodating on most so far, but it's our last and forever home as were ful timers and just want what we want. If a pendant breaks down the rd, at least the wife is happy until it does, then ill have a honey doo
Old 03-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #10

We went to Alaska without issue. Look for pendants with a solid rod. It makes a big difference.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdenn View Post
We went to Alaska without issue. Look for pendants with a solid rod. It makes a big difference.
That's exactlly what were doing and since thers only 10" of clearance to clear the moving slide, the pendant will either have to be mounted directly to base plate or only have to use a short bit of the rod. So there shouldn't be too much wiggling going down the rd.
Of coarse your nh is a bit heavier than my luxe , especially with your hd frame on that baby, nothing probably moves in yours. That's what the extra $$$$$ will do for yah. Ill probably weigh in at around 26-30k when smart car is loaded up in.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #12

Evergreen Owners Club
Billet Bee
You say they can no longer get those pendant lights but you have not said what they

replaced them with. Is it a different type of light?
Old 03-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Billet Bee
You say they can no longer get those pendant lights but you have not said what they

replaced them with. Is it a different type of light?
Yah, apparently they quit using them sometime in 19. Now they just have that big flat panel up there with a bunch of puck lighting. She said they will install a pendant for me , to just make sure i keep it under 10" so the slide won't wipe it out. Here's a picture of the current version. Now in some of there other models they have a big farm style pendants but they hang down allot lower than 10" so there not even an option to consider
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210304-201321.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	320338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210218-225103.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	320339  

Old 03-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #14

One thing I failed to mention is to use a Tread Lock on the threaded rod and nut to prevent loosening when you are traveling on the road with the 5er. I have done this to my 5er with it's suspend light fixtures over the kitchen Island and dining table. No more threaded rod loosening do to swing lights when you travel.

I used Loctite blue on the treads.

Tags
light