Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Picking up new fiver

I've pulled our trailer over 10,000 miles this year, but Monday, we pick up a new Cedar Creek 29 ir.

I've never pulled a fiver, don't have concerns with my F350 diesel, but what do I need to know. Roads here are hilly and curvy.

Thanks in advance for the pointers.
[emoji2]
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #2

Congrats.
Perhaps practice your coupling, un-coupling a few times really get to know how it should feel and sound. Get in the habit of visually checking the jaws and insuring the king-pin is not high.
You'll find backing slightly different in that, with the pin directly over the truck axle the rig is slower to "jack". With bumper-pulls well rear of the axle the trailer jacks faster. Likewise once jacked you'll have to "chase" it more aggressively also.
The rest of the handling characteristics you'll like much better.
Enjoy.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #3

The towing and backing up is different but you'll get the hang of it super quick. Mainly, the 5th is a bit slower to respond to turns while backing.

Hitching/un-hitching is different, of course, as well. At first it might seem a bit intimidating but soon it all becomes second nature. It's just a different set of steps to go through. Main thing is until you get it down don't rush at all. Take your time and be extra sure of what you're doing and you'll be fine.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #4

We switched from TT to Fifth wheel earlier this year. I was worried about the learning curve also, since I never messed with a fiver before. Hooking up is really easy compared to the old WD hitch routine. The 6 point leveling system if you have it was a little concerning to me, but has turned out pretty easy to learn as long as I have the "cheat sheet" nearby to make sure I am doing the right thing at the right time. Enjoy your new rig!
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just watch the turning. A fiver cuts inside the track of the TV. I as well pulled bumper pulls for 30 years, wish I would have discovered sooner how easy a fiver is.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #6

If you have thee leveling system, after you unhook the truck make sure you are clear of the overhang as the first thing the leveler does is bring the front of the trailer down so pull far enough ahead or it will hit the truck bed.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #7

Unless you are backing up perfectly straight to hitch up, have a helper raise your tailgate once your past kingpin. Otherwise you will hit the front of your storage door/trailer with your tailgate. Don't ask me how I know, never had a problem until I came in a little crooked due to limited space. Now I have a small dent in my storage door as I reminder
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:08 PM   #8

I switched to 5er this year too and everything everyone has said is very familiar. Even had a horribke experience with 6-pt autolevel on the first trip... I now find almost everything easier. My only downside is that the cost of forgetting something is costlier. I also find the emeegency brake wire occasionally gets tangled up in town when doing lots of turning, and has set off the trailer emergency brake a few times. Easy fix though. Enjoy the new rv!
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #9

When back'n under pin to hitch up, leave the pinbox lower than the hitch head, so that the hitch itself will pick up the pinbox......remember when backing under to have the jaw (s) open,,,,,and keep wheel chocks in place till hitched
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #10

I saw some advice on a forum and it has served me well. When backing and you determine your line is incorrect pull forward and create a different line as it is too late to fix it. A 5er reacts too slow to correct your direction like you can with a bumper tow. Make sure you are set up properly with bed rail clearance, pin box clearance and cab clearance. Your trailer will be taller so make it a practice to look up on occasion.

Congrats on the new trailer.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #11

We have had our 40' 5r for 6 weeks. When you are in camp grounds going around corners watch mirrors to make sure you clear. I've had 2 very close calls. One was a branch from a tree that had been cut but the branch was 5" long almost caught the slide topper. Watch your mirrors high and low and go slow.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I saw some advice on a forum and it has served me well. When backing and you determine your line is incorrect pull forward and create a different line as it is too late to fix it. A 5er reacts too slow to correct your direction like you can with a bumper tow. Make sure you are set up properly with bed rail clearance, pin box clearance and cab clearance. Your trailer will be taller so make it a practice to look up on occasion.

Congrats on the new trailer.
I often forget about bed rail clearance... my TV is a high bed 4wd (factory), so I've had a few close calls that were over before I knew I had them...
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote