Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2017, 05:33 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pin Lock

We just picked up a new Glacier Peak fifth wheel and, unfortunately, must use a commercial storage lot as we have no space in our yard. I realize that no lock is foolproof but I feel I need to use some type of pin lock so it's not easy to just hook up tow the rig away.

Do any of you use this type of lock and, if so, what has been your experience. There seem to be many types on the market and a broad range of prices. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your comments.
nwpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #2

Yes, I use a simple king pin lock when parking the rig in the storage lot.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:01 PM   #3

I use a king pin lock anytime I am disconnected from the truck.
kdowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #4

Get the best one you can afford .
I don't use it often in an RV park but Boondocking l would keep it locked. Thieves don't like things that will slow them down and will move on to easier pickings.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pin Lock

Is there a particular brand or style that you recommend?
nwpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:12 PM   #6

Get this one.
Trailer King Pin Lock (Eagle King Pin Lock) Keyed Alike :: LockitKing.com
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #7

this is the one I use but I also drive semi's and the company required that I have one. The Enforcer

You might also try eBay.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #8

When I got my first 5er, I asked long haul truckers what to use. They all said War Lok. Bought one....a little pricey but extremely robust with a great built in lock registered in your name only.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #9

I am the odd man out I do not use any lock at all. I have insurance to cover my trailer, anything can be stolen if they really want it. What usually happens is the camper/trailer is broken into and the items inside are stolen, not the trailer.

I store my trailer at a commercial storage lot also. When the trailer is in the lot the king pin sits in a king pin tripod and the battery is disconnected. This makes it difficult to raise the trailer above the stabilizer. That is the only thing I do to prevent the unit from being stolen. I have stored my 5ER this way for the last 10 years.

Do you really want to be freaked out most of the storage door locks have the same key for the locks, CH751!
Old 12-30-2017, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
this is the one I use but I also drive semi's and the company required that I have one. The Enforcer

You might also try eBay.
I also am a commercial driver and this kingpin lock is the way to go.
jake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:37 PM   #11

Reese Revolution ............ difficult to steal

My trailer came with a Reese Revolution pin box system. It requires a specific wedge that matches the fifth wheel hitch in the truck. Without the proper wedge installed, it either won't hitch up or will be unstable once hitched up. I swing the pin off to one side to make it obvious that it is a Revolution. I'd guess most thieves will recognize the difficulty they are likely to have trying to hitch up and leave us alone.

The after=market version of this hitch is called the Sidewinder. When factory installed like mine, it's the Revolution.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You might check with Peterbilt or Kenworth for a semi trailer pin lock, the one we use is a 4" long piece of 3" high tensle steel pipe with a key lock on the side, it only comes off with a key. the last one I bought was about $40, but ai never lot a trailer or cargo. The kingpin is the same size for both RV and semi, 2 5/16 dia.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen45 View Post
That’s the one I have. Easy to see from a distance so bad guys don’t have to get close before they know it’s locked.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #14

lock

on Amazon, $28.95.

RoadPro RPKPSL-2 Heavy Duty Steel King Pin Lock
twotogo is offline   Reply With Quote