Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #1

Pin movement

Yesterday I hooked the Teton up to the truck in effort to turn it around for the next stage of its renovation. I noticed that the pin area flexed a bit when it rested on the truck. It wasnt enough to wrinkle the siding but it did stress it more than I thought it should? The unit is very heavy and maybe this is normal? I guess my question is, what is the normal and what do I look for if it needs attention? As I remember when we removed the front fiberglass last year it has square steel framework that is attached to the pin under master room.
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you weighed your unit so you can calculate the actual weight of the pin?

Our 5er has an 18000 lb hitch and the pin weight is 2992 with the trailer loaded.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #3

My tag says it is 6000 pin and 19,900 total . But no I havent weighed it.
Mine is empty. with no interior in the living quarters. It is being remodeled.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #4

There is a formula they use is see if it is flexing to much. I can not remember it all, but basically you measure from the front landing gear up to the pin box, marking where you are measuring. Then hookup the truck put the weight of the 5th wheel on truck and measure again. I believe it is to be under 1/2 inch, but not 100% sure about that. From the picture it looks like you have a Cedar Creek, if so call the service dept, they will have a work sheet to check it, and will email or fax it to you. Some RV dealers also have the work sheets, you could check with a local dealer service center.

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

All of the fivers will flex some--as Mike mentioned above, what is excessive is for the designer/engineer to know, and Teton is out of business. My Suites has a 4200lb pin weight--you can see some movement as the hitch takes the full pin weight, but have never measured it.
I will say, from looking at pic in your sig, if you are correct on the 6000lbs pin weight, you are going to be WAY over on the rear axle capacity--keep that in mind as you remodel it.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I went out and checked the numbers on our 5er hitch. It says GVW of 18,000.

It is the model 7910, made by Leland Engineering. I could not find any ratings for pin weight for the hitch on the placard or on the internet (did not look long).
Old 12-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #7

1/2 inch is generally considered an acceptable number, but measuring it is not so ez. Dealers frequently us a fork lift since there is no suspension compression and measurements can be made very close to the pin. Another option is a steel welders table (or other solid, stable platform) and a hydraulic bottle jack. You also need to pay close attention to slop with the landing gear feet and the trailer has to be level, side-to-side.

I used a different method. I attached a long aluminum pole on top of the pin box and suspended a vertical yardstick just outside the truck bed. I attached a laser beam level to the side of the fiver at the basement storage door. Movement of the laser beam spot is independent of truck suspension or landing gear slop.

If movement is 3/4 inch or greater, then the entire gooseneck portion of the frame needs to be inspected for weld or steel failure. Also inspect attachment points between the frame and the walls for failure. The fiver structure does help provide rigidity and if the attachments fail it will allow the frame to flex more than it should.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #8

I will re check my weight tag again. I do believe it says 6000 lbs pin. On 19999 gw.
I weighed it at the local CAT scale before we tore it apart, and the tanks were dry and propane was dry. It weighed 22000 total unhooked from my truck. Currently we have weighed most of the material removed and I believe it will resume the same weight .
And I am replacing all materials with original as I can get from rv surplus. They have been very helpful. I am concerned about the flex in the (tounge) pin area. I believe it is way more than half an inch. I will reconnect it this weekend and measure.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #9

That is one heavy dude--if there is 6000 on the pin, that is way over the average of 18-22% used by most people to estimate the pin weight. The axles must be farther to the rear than most fivers.
I can think of a lot of problem areas with that 22000 scale weight--I have to assume it is a triple axle? and most triples have a LOWER pin weight than a similar double axle. So hopefully you are off on the pin weight estimate...
Best of luck with the restoration project--Tetons were considered a top-line when they were in production.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
That is one heavy dude--if there is 6000 on the pin, that is way over the average of 18-22% used by most people to estimate the pin weight. The axles must be farther to the rear than most fivers.
I can think of a lot of problem areas with that 22000 scale weight--I have to assume it is a triple axle? and most triples have a LOWER pin weight than a similar double axle. So hopefully you are off on the pin weight estimate...
Best of luck with the restoration project--Tetons were considered a top-line when they were in production.
Joe
Actually for the brand and model, his weight and pin are right on the money. Even our Carrilite is heavier than most setups with 4800 on the pin with a total of 18k.
I would suggest that the owner look into hauling this beast with a MDT or HDT style truck. A normal dually is going to catch h@ll towing that much.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #11

Believe it or not I pulled it home with my old 7.3 3/4 ton truck from New Orleans to Houston. I will never do that again. The 1 ton 7.3 , the duramax and the dodge dont seem to mind it at all. But I would like a f650 or older rig to pull it.
I did check the pin weight, 6000 lbs, It is the triple axle , they are big though.
The axles allow it to pull comfortable but it is heavy.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:04 AM   #12

Our Teton weighs 20kish and has a 5280 pin so that 6k is about right
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote