Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Honda 3000, at lightload, quietest .. running a 15k ac.. when it can,, screams almost 60db at 15 feet,,
my onan 4000micro with some sound work is at 60-62..

i have seen the onan 4500 behind a 5th wheel,, ac was on and was not that loud,, no meter with me lol,,,
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #30

Check out the Boliy PRO 3600SI unit specs. They outdo Honda 3000 in virtually every test, with more continous output. I've used one since 2008, the only issue I've had was to buy a new carb @ $37; my fault I let it sit over the winter with gas in the carb.
It would run the 2 air conditioners on our 5er during a test. Any Honda dealer's service dept. can work on them-if ever needed. Inverter components are plug N play.
I just wish they would have had the remote electric-start back in 2008.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #31

I have a 5500 Marquis LP built-in generator and it's very quiet.
Recently I replace the stator rotor assembly and while it was out I installed automotive sound absorbing foam rubber inside the generator box.
For a little more $ look at the 5500.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
They do, but I'm moving to solar/inverter and want something like this for when AC is needed.
Can I assume that akanavy is not US Navy and you never stood watch in the engine room?

First watch station was turbine generator watch on a WWII tin can in 1971. Last power plant was a 1600 + MWe which is the largest generator in the world.

My advice is for readers who are most interested in getting the job done without spend a lot of money.

All you need to charge batteries is a $88 Harbor Freight 800 watt special. Recently I ran the fridge, charged batteries, and watched TV at the same time.

I would have to mute the TV to hear the generator.

Almost everything that needs more power makes noise so the noise the genny makes is a mute point.

I have looked and looked for a compelling reason to buy a inverter/generator. My conclusion is that their popularity is based on marketing hype.

A generator is a tool to make electricity.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Can I assume that akanavy is not US Navy and you never stood watch in the engine room?

First watch station was turbine generator watch on a WWII tin can in 1971. Last power plant was a 1600 + MWe which is the largest generator in the world.

My advice is for readers who are most interested in getting the job done without spend a lot of money.

All you need to charge batteries is a $88 Harbor Freight 800 watt special. Recently I ran the fridge, charged batteries, and watched TV at the same time.

I would have to mute the TV to hear the generator.

Almost everything that needs more power makes noise so the noise the genny makes is a mute point.

I have looked and looked for a compelling reason to buy a inverter/generator. My conclusion is that their popularity is based on marketing hype.

A generator is a tool to make electricity.

I was Navy, and I'm not sure why you'd assume otherwise, nor does the rest of you post make much sense.

Thank you for serving in the engine rooms, that can be tough work - But what that has to do with this thread, I'm confused.

I require more power than running a couple things, and I'd prefer to not run a generator to get the power. Kinda like peace and quite when I'm off grid. If you plan on staying plugged in all the time to use your Harbor Freight charger, more power to you. This thread isn't for that.

Inverter generators are popular because they are quite and produce clean power - my computers, refrigerator, and TV's kinda like a nice clean, consistent sine wave.

Totally understand a generator is a tool to produce electricity - just like a vehicle is a tool to go places. There are many options for both - some more comfortable and better suited to certain situations than others.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #34

We had a neighbor running one of those harbor freight 800w weed eater specials for breakfast/dinner when we were parked on the beach at flaming gorge - I was sure glad when he was gone. It really did sound like a gardener...

My 2800w Champion was much more pleasant to listen to, and it's on the louder end of the inveters I've found.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post

Inverter generators are popular because they are quite and produce clean power - my computers, refrigerator, and TV's kinda like a nice clean, consistent sine wave.
Marketing hype!

If I can get the same job done with a $100 tool and you spend $2000 on a tool because marketing told you it was 'clean' I would suggest that you may want to do more research.

While my cheap generator and 6500 watt Onan produces pure sine wave alternating current, my vintage inverter produces a modified sign wave. My computers, frig, TV, and microwave run fine.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Marketing hype!

If I can get the same job done with a $100 tool and you spend $2000 on a tool because marketing told you it was 'clean' I would suggest that you may want to do more research.

While my cheap generator and 6500 watt Onan produces pure sine wave alternating current, my vintage inverter produces a modified sign wave. My computers, frig, TV, and microwave run fine.
My F-350 has a built in modified sign wave inverter, and it's well documented on the forums it won't run certain laptops and will absolutely not charge DeWalt drill batteries. *shrug* there is some truth to it. Some devices also tend to "sing" when using modified sign wave, even if they do work. I, (oddly) have very good high range hearing and it's annoying... Not that you'd be able hear anything over a bloody construction generator banging on at 3600RPM constantly anyway.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Marketing hype!

Obviously your time in the engine room has severely damaged your hearing if you believe that HF 800 watt generator is just as quiet as a Honda 1000 watt or 2000 watt inverter generator supplying the same load.

It's not marketing hype, it's science and engineering.

20 years retired Navy myself serving in the engine room of nuclear submarines.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
if you believe that HF 800 watt generator is just as quiet .....

It's not marketing hype, it's science and engineering.

20 years retired Navy myself serving in the engine room of nuclear submarines.
Did not say anything about noise level. Said it gets the job done for charging batteries.

That is why I bought it. First MH had a Onan that did not run so I bought a cheap HF generator so we could dry camp until I got it fixed. Try to use the HF a few times a year to make sure it still is useful as a back up.

Thank you for your service. I only stayed in 10 years. Maybe you can provide
another service. Explain to this engineer the science and engineering of an inverter/generator that would compel me to spend a significant amount extra money on a generator/generator.

I am not saying you are wrong just that I have a highly trained BS meter.

I had test data that indicated that an acceptance criteria at a new plant. I called the design engineer for a fix. He said he did not care. Useful data but not acceptance criteria. Not in the design specification. My next task was to delete acceptance criteria that was contrary to how we had been incorrectly trained including the NRC.

Would I buy a generator that makes less noise all other thing being equal. Sure!

How about if it is blue tooth enabled? or 'clean' or all of the other stuff box to get you to buy.

Clearly there is acceptance criteria for the main and diesel generators at nuclear power plants.

For small potable generators forget it. All you find in the way of reviews is you tube idiots comparing marketing BS from the boxes.

If you learned anything in the nuclear navy it should be a questioning attitude.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:09 PM   #39

I have a pair of the Champion 2800/3100 inverters with the 50a parallel kit. Been using them for the past couple of years. Price was right, they run great, are very portable, and start on one or two pulls (manual start). Normally only use one, but yesterday ran both to quickly cool down the RV in FL. A bit noisy with both running under heavy load, but definitely tolerable.

This is my setup.
jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:24 PM   #40

Manufacturers researched a way to provide 120V A/C from an inverter (not a generator) that costs less than a pure sine wave inverter. What they developed was a product that hit the price point while sacrificing A/C quality.

Take walmart for example. If you need a widget, they have a selection that will fit your budget. But what they don't tell you is if you buy the cheap widget, it will break and then you'll have to buy another. At that point you could have spent twice as much and bought the product that is less undependable and prevented equipment failure.

With a modified sine wave inverter, hooking up sensitive equipment and using it long term will damage what you plug into the inverter. But the inverter will probably still run just fine. The modified sine wave will damage power supplies.

The wave (on an oscilloscope) is squared for the modified sine wave inverter. I don't think anyone cares about the wave form until their equipment starts breaking. I've already been down this route and learned my lesson. Being a computer guy, I've damaged more power supplies than I care to admit before learning about the sine wave. I also lost a soldering iron.

The term inverter generator is marketing jargon for a generator that produces a pure sine wave. At least that is the claim.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:21 AM   #41
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Lion View Post
The term inverter generator is marketing jargon for a generator that produces a pure sine wave. At least that is the claim.

Actually more than that.... a purely mechanical generator produces a pure sign wave.....however, it changes frequency and amplitude depending on the rpm of the engine, and the load on the generator. What you really want is a fixed sine wave, that doesn’t fluctuate much at all. An inverter can produce this 110 vac pure sine wave power, and the electronics can compensate for engine rpm changes and electrical load changes far quicker than the throttle on an engine ever could. This has the side benefit of allowing the engine to run variable speed depending upon load, increasing fuel economy.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Actually more than that.... a purely mechanical generator produces a pure sign wave.....however, it changes frequency and amplitude depending on the rpm of the engine, and the load on the generator. What you really want is a fixed sine wave, that doesn’t fluctuate much at all. An inverter can produce this 110 vac pure sine wave power, and the electronics can compensate for engine rpm changes and electrical load changes far quicker than the throttle on an engine ever could. This has the side benefit of allowing the engine to run variable speed depending upon load, increasing fuel economy.
pasdad and Mt Lion make so excellent points.

Let me point out that we are talking about an RV not a nuclear power plant.

I did the calculation to identify the number of cycles caused by grid disturbances for the 60 year design life of a new nuclear power plant.

In the navy, the folks with sensitive equipment told us that we would do $25k in damage when we dropped the load. My son responsible for sensitive equipment. Lost power last night while broadcasting the world series. Diesel gen came on line with any damage. I noticed noting watch at home.

So I understand the issue and things should be designed for the need.

If you notice from my tag line I have a vintage RV. My Onan has 800+ hours and I also use a HF cheapy. Not one 120 vac failure. Voltage fluctuates every time A/C or microwave starts. Worse when on the grid at a campground.

My RV and you RV does not have sensitive equipment. My late wife demonstrated that her computer was senstive to red wine.

Tags
generator