RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Pricing?

I've read that the MSRP of a new RV is like the sticker price on an auto window....it isn't what you have to pay.

So let say a new RV has a MSRP of $84,000. What should you be able to expect to purchase it for.

Qualifications:

a. If you order a new one from the manufacturer, say like Vilano or New Horizon..ie dealing directly with manufacture.

b. If you find one as an online internet sale 3 states away sitting on an lot ready to go.

c. If you order/purchase (new) at a show or a dealer

d. Is there another way to purchase one?
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Depends on regional pricing, the timing of the model year release, and the popularity of the model you are looking at but 25-35 % off of MSRP would be the range I have seen talked about most.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think they are required by law to put an accurate MSRP on a RV.

I've never seen any consistent stickers on RV's like they have on cars.
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #4

I would expect to pay about $60k on that one give or take.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:32 PM   #5

I bought ours for 31% under MSRP. They still made money undoubtedly.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:37 PM   #6

Great points made. Some manufactures will offer a "Manufactures Retail Build Sheet", but not all. This might show base models and available options to allow shopping a particular brand / model between dealers.
The brands you mention are perhaps a little more unique in that they sell direct. or have limited dealerships in my experience.
Most laws of supply and demand apply, but unfortunately the RV industry is a tad more wild and woolly than the auto industry.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:54 PM   #7

I just purchased a small 2018 Class A and I pick it up this week. List price $115,824 I got it for $82,763 plus taxes and DMV Fees. I know they need to make money on the deal if they are going to stay in business, but I felt that we both got a fairly good deal. JH
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #8

When I bought my New Horizions I got about 15%off but looking back I think if I started asking to throw things in it would worked. They were pretty anxious to close the deal.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #9

On a mass market unit, don’t use the “percentage off MSRP” strategy. As you see, MSRP varies widely, and a lot of MSRP is inflated with dealer fees, like “delivery.”

In my opinion, assume that there is still considerable wiggle room left in the lowest advertised price you can find on RVTrader for that model. Some manufacturers have a Minimum Resale Price rule, meaning that the dealers can’t actually advertise their lowest price, but there is still room to go lower when dealing face to face.

Get them to go lower when dealing face to face by playing two dealers off each other. That’s what I did, and I was able to score a price several thousand dollars less than the lowest nationally advertised price I could find on RVTrader for similar equipped model. And that was on a custom order.

If the dealer actually has the unit in stock, they may be even more inclined to bargain to move that unit and recoup their costs. Just like a car dealer.

In the end, don’t forget to factor in the value of a reliable local dealer that can do timely warranty repairs for you, so you don’t burn up your camping season waiting for service. I could have saved another $3k on my purchase price if I was willing to buy from RVOne, but they have zero after sale support. 43’ fifth wheel had too many potential issues for me to not consider after sale support (so far, it’s been bulletproof, knock on wood).
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #10

Buying an RV isn't rocket science. Find the one you like, look online for prices and offer the lowest reasonable price. If they don't like it walk away. Wait for a phone call and deal again. Don't buy based on the dealer being in town. That limits your selection.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote