Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2005, 07:50 AM   #1

I got a good deal on a 97 Jayco that I bought through my Father-in-law's friend. The refrigerator works fine on AC but when I set it to Gas I can here the pilot click and even can go out side and see a little flame start going, but after about 10 seconds it shuts off and gives me the check light inside. Any ideas?

2004.4 Dodge Ram CTD, Auto, 4x4, Bullydog Power Pup, Quad Cab, Prodigy
Leroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2005, 07:50 AM   #2

I got a good deal on a 97 Jayco that I bought through my Father-in-law's friend. The refrigerator works fine on AC but when I set it to Gas I can here the pilot click and even can go out side and see a little flame start going, but after about 10 seconds it shuts off and gives me the check light inside. Any ideas?

Old 05-31-2005, 08:24 AM   #3

It may just need a good cleaning. Has the gas been used recently? It may be air in the lines or an empty tank.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:42 AM   #4

As far as I know the trailer has been stored for a couple of years. I did put in new tanks and purged the air from the lines. I lit the burners, heater, and hot water heater. The only thing I have problems is with the fridge.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:45 AM   #5

Have you tried opening your supply line to verify you have a gas supply at the fridge? Be carefull not to blow yourself up.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:52 AM   #6

Blowing myself up would defiantly ruin my day.... I know I get gas to it now, because it actually lights and runs when the pilot light starts click on.. but as soon as the clicking stops, it shuts off the gas. Am I being confusing?

Old 05-31-2005, 09:04 AM   #7

I think you should consider a good cleaning. All it takes is one little spider and it aint gonna work. Also, the flame will be very small. I saw a pic once where someone had mounted a mirror behind his so he could actually see the flame.

A bad thermocouple will cause this too.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:33 PM   #8

Does anybody have a writeup on how to clean a Norcold?

Old 05-31-2005, 02:10 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
You don't say what model Norcold you own but here's a link to a site that has a number of various Norcold manuals that might cover the model you have. You will need the Adobe Acrobat reader (downloadable for free if you don't have it) for these manuals as they are in PDF format.

Norcold Manuals

When you are attempting to start your refrigerator on propane, is your DC power coming from just the battery or are you plugged into "shore power"? The reason I ask this is because I have what appears to be a quirky thing with my Norcold. If I try to start my refrigerator on propane using just battery power and the battery is weak, I experience the same problem that you're having. That is, the igniter lights the flame but keeps trying to ignite even after it's lit. The refrigerator doesn't sense that the flame is lit and shuts down.

Another possible problem is a defective Ignition/Sense wire.

Hope this gives you some more ideas.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #10

Hi,
It sounds like the thermal coupling not working if the pilot light is coming on but main burner is not lighting!

Scousers is offline   Reply With Quote