Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

Progressive EMS to the rescue! Watch out for WEN generator

I posted this info in another thread but thought it necessary to start a new one.

This is my generator setup. Just bought them last week. Cheap units, have the ability to parallel, can use elsewhere, quiet as the expensive brands, I can lift into the bed by myself and should run both A/C's.

$1223.00 for both including the parallel kit...otd.[/QUOTE]

CAUTION!!!!!!!

I recently purchased these generators and THANKS TO my Progressive industries EMS I discovered that the Chinese factory worker who wired my generators and the Parallel kit wired the L5-30 recepticals with reverse polarity. As soon as I attempted to power my camper through this particular plug the EMS shut off the power and produced an error code.

Plugs wired backwards were these:

I contacted the local distributor I purchased from and informed them of the problem. They looked into it at their end and called me back thanking me for discovering this. They pulled several generators out of their stock and found the same problem with them.

They offered to correct the blunder ASAP at their center but I opted to open the panel and correct it myself. 1/2 hour later I had correctly wired generators........ Yay China!
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #2

That is indeed helpful info--thanks.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #3

Nice set-up! Wouldn't work for me, I don't think, because the canister for my roll up bed cover would be in the way.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Explorers View Post
Nice set-up! Wouldn't work for me, I don't think, because the canister for my roll up bed cover would be in the way.
I have the same problem. I use a Yamaha 2400 placed by the tailgate.
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #5

I dunno - looks like DJNCJ's bed cover fits just fine over the gensets...

I just put my Honda i3000 in front of the hitch and go, but I have no bed cover.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DJNCJ,
Did your EMS not detect an open neutral when first connecting to your trailer? My EMS-HW50C would not pass the power from my Champion 2000i inverter because of an open neutral. I found later all portable inverter generators have floating neutral. The below link has a good explanation about it. I made the plug that is shown in the article so I could use the generator for my MH.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
DJNCJ,
Did your EMS not detect an open neutral when first connecting to your trailer? My EMS-HW50C would not pass the power from my Champion 2000i inverter because of an open neutral. I found later all portable inverter generators have floating neutral. The below link has a good explanation about it. I made the plug that is shown in the article so I could use the generator for my MH.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone
Good question!

Prior to trying them out on the trailer I checked the recepticals with a millimeter. To my surprise I found these generators came from the factory "neutral-bonded" so no need for a bonding plug.

The EMS approved of their power once I had properly wired 30 amp recepticals.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
As DJNCJ noted his brand of portable generator had a bonded ground/neutral whereas others may not.

Most on-board generators that were installed by RV manufactures such as mine made by Onan come with a bonded ground/neutral.

If using a portable generator and do NOT have any EMS installed in your RV, then I would strongly suggest that you check this out and correct it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
I dunno - looks like DJNCJ's bed cover fits just fine over the gensets...

I just put my Honda i3000 in front of the hitch and go, but I have no bed cover.

Tim
I am using a tri-fold cover that stays above the bed rails.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:22 PM   #10

floating ground

Why couldn't you go inside the generator an cross over the outlet plug an both outlets would still be useable an not have to make a bonding plug
Dick 641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick 641 View Post
Why couldn't you go inside the generator an cross over the outlet plug an both outlets would still be useable an not have to make a bonding plug
I have since done that. Made up the plug to check that the EMS would pass thru the power from the portable generator.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #12

Talking about an ems, would it be better to get a hard wired or an external plug in?
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Talking about an ems, would it be better to get a hard wired or an external plug in?
On board hardwired is the better and more expensive option. A fellow on another forum had the external unit attached to the power pedestal. His plug shorted where it entered the rig causing 220v to get inside. Since all this happened downstream from the EMS, it didn't know the difference.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #14

Ouch! Was hoping the external would be just as good but easier to replace. If there are problems downstream guess the hardwired right before the fuse panel is the only way to go.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, generator