Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #15

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw John View Post
Palpating

Something is not adding up with your math!!!!! If your are going through one 40 gallon tank a month at let's say $2.50 per gallon that would be $100.00 cost per month. While it's only costing me $ 00.00 per month to heat my camper per month by gas because I'm all electric with no small electric heaters in the way.Cheap Heat is for me!!!!!!
I expect Palpatine meant to say they have two 40 LB tanks instead of 40 gallon tanks. That would make their math correct.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Heat pumps don't work under about 45 degrees. If you have access to power, get a couple of portable heaters, we have two Lasko towers, work great.
On ours it's lower than that, somewhere around 34° and they work great here in the NW with our mild winters. Have two of them in the MH and had one in the stick house for almost 25 years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
Commercial Member

az bound

Are you hearing the noise that all the other people are talking about on other threads from the heater unit, When it is running on electric. You know it's not a hard decision to make about the cost of this Cheap Heat System, Yes it may be costly to some people but to me it was well worth it. Thanks for the help, I'm only tring to answer people's questions because I have the system in my camper. I hope you enjoy your camper for many many more years and I can't wait until I can say that I'm retired and full timing. Happy Trails!!!!!
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Paw Jon
I have not heard anything other than the fan running.
The argument that I do not understand is about it taking too long for a return on the investment. This is our third motorhome and not one of them has ever paid for itself in any monitary way, but the adventures have been priceless.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
Commercial Member

As bound

I know where you are coming from I enjoy myself on every trip the wife and I take. This is my second unit that I owned. My first one was a 2004 31 foot single slide Mobile Scout 5wheeler. I only had it for one year and I lost my job. The wife was worried and twisted my arm until I sold it. It took me three years to find the unit I have now. The way I feel right now I will try to keep this one for as long as I can. Hopefully we will start to travel further from South Louisiana area. There's so much sites to see in this great country of our's. hopefully we will meet up some where out their. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #20

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On ours it's lower than that, somewhere around 34° and they work great here in the NW with our mild winters. Have two of them in the MH and had one in the stick house for almost 25 years.
I'm constantly seeing people posting that heat pumps will not work below 45 degrees yet there are people, such as you, who post that their's work well down into the low thirties. I'm thinking that the actual figure may be brand dependent; some brands may work better than others.

I had a heat pump on a mobile home that worked well down into the twenties without any heat strips.

All the Cheap Heat detractors I've seen so far are hung up on its initial cost. Yes, it is expensive. So what? Lincolns cost more than Fords, yet people still buy them. If one is happy with a Ford, then don't waste money on the Lincoln. The same goes for electric heating systems. If you are happy with portable heaters laying about, then Cheap Heat isn't for you. If you prefer to have all your heating controls integrated, not have portable heaters in the way, need heat in the basement, etc. then Cheap Heat may be a better choice for you.

How economical Cheap Heat is depends on individuals needs and where they camp. Someone who will be moving frequently may be paying a flat rate for their electricity included in their space rent, essentially making electric heat free. The savings realized then is dependent on the cost of propane. It may take longer to realize pay back on Cheap Heat than on portable heaters (depending on how often they have to be replaced) but the return on that is increased convenience. Cheap Heat works off the existing furnace thermostat. All one sees of the Cheap Heat is a switch, usually mounted by or near the thermostat, that allows the user to choose gas heat or electric heat.

People who do not get "free" electricity, such as long term campers, snow birds, etc., and have their electricity metered may or may not realize any long term savings from using electric heat. It would depend on the cost of electricity vs. the cost of propane.

Saving money is not the only reason for getting a Cheap Heat. Often, for various reasons, propane is difficult or impossible to obtain. Cheap Heat is a convenient, practical substitute for propane heat. Portable heaters are another substitute but aren't as convenient and/or as practical. It depends upon individual needs and tastes. Some people may just prefer the convenience of not having to frequently refill propane bottles and are willing to pay for that convenience. I'm getting too old to lug around propane bottles (in fact, I'm laid up right now with a pulled hip muscle; ouch!) so when I get my TT and start full timing, installing a Cheap Heat will be well worth the expense.

Heat pumps are far more efficient (i.e. less expensive to use) than resistance heating but, due to the initial cost, it doesn't make sense to replace A/Cs that are working just fine. If one is buying a new RV and heat pumps are an option (or you can buy the RV without A/Cs and have the heat pumps installed), then getting them would make sense. The same is true when replacing a failed or failing A/C. The cost difference between the two isn't that much. The thermostats for heat pumps are designed to switch over to gas heat when the outside temperature drops below the temperature the heat pump is rated for. Of course, if one has the Cheap heat installed and sets it for electric heat, then the heat pump will revert to resistance heating when it gets too cold for the heat pump. When I get my TT, I'll either order it with heat pumps or without A/Cs and install the heat pumps myself (I'll also get the Cheap Heat for when temperatures get too low for the heat pumps; the heat strips available for them are too small to do much good). Even if I have buy the TT with an A/C and remove it, since it will be brand new, I should be able to sell it for a decent price.

Cheap Heat now has a Stand-a-lone unit available that doesn't need to be installed on a furnace. This would allow one to install ducted resistance heating when there isn't room to install the original Cheap Heat. Another option for the new unit is if one wants to completely abandon gas heat altogether. The Stand-a-lone unit will require less maintenance than an idle gas furnace. The Stand-a-lone unit also simplifies installation of electric heat in an all electric RV since it doesn't have to mounted on an outside wall.

Btw, I am not a dealer.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Ladyfitz

It's nice to hear from you. I hope you get better soon. I know how you are feeling cause I have a lower back problem that acts up every now and then. What you wrote is right on the button. I wonder how the sceptics will feel when they buy their next new unit and the Cheap Heat System is installed from the factory. What will they say then!!!! Get better soon and good luck with the purchase of a New TT soon.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw John View Post
Ladyfitz

It's nice to hear from you. I hope you get better soon. I know how you are feeling cause I have a lower back problem that acts up every now and then. What you wrote is right on the button. I wonder how the sceptics will feel when they buy their next new unit and the Cheap Heat System is installed from the factory. What will they say then!!!! Get better soon and good luck with the purchase of a New TT soon.
Paw John,

Any idea when the factorys will be installing the Cheap Heat System.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Scotty14

You can go to the rvcomfortsystems.com and possible get your answers. I thinking that you can request it to be installed at the time of the new camper is being built. It should be cheaper to have it installed at the time of build. All I know is that I love my unit and the way it's keeping the inside of my camper evenly heated and also keeps my basement heated also. I ran an extra 4 inch duct hose to the inside water tanks and water line area. I even noticed that my floors are warmer during winter camping. All I know is as soon as this system starts to get installed at time of the RV build it will get cheaper to install as after market in older campers. This should help people like us who are looking for a better way to heat our campers. This unit is a great after market item.

Tags
propane