Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2018, 04:52 AM   #1

Propane regulator venting

Our new to us 5th wheel, had the 2 older tanks filled at an RV park. They are not the original tanks, someone swapped the tanks before we got it. Trailer was bank repo so I suspect PO put older tanks in and kept the newer ones. Tanks were older than 10 but have the OPD. I filled the tanks a couple months ago and it's much warmer now by 30+ degrees F. Left tank has a red high pressure regulator which feeds to right side which has the selector and low pressure regulator. I previously replaced both pig tails due to one leaking, and one blocked.

Yesterday, first use of propane system since the filling and parts replacement, the red regulator is leaking/venting out the bottom vent. All connections are tight. I soapy water tested all connections. Noticeable smell and can feel the venting/leaking. Yesterday the ambient temperature in upper 80's. I can replace the regulator but don't want to it the temperature difference is causing the venting due to higher pressure. We did buy new tanks which are sitting empty in my garage but thought I'd see if someone would fill these older ones. Couple places wouldn't but one did. Anyway sitting with 2 filled 30# tanks and a leaking regulator. Is the venting normal or a ruptured diaphragm.

I read a number of older posts and seems consensus would lead to bad regulator. Just wasn't sure about temperature difference. I could fire up stove burners and open the compartment to see if the excess, if any, propane burns off and the venting stops. But leaking propane isn't something to fool with. That tank is shut off.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2018, 05:24 AM   #2
IC2

Depending on who did the fill and their qualifications, they may have simply overfilled those tanks. The added spring heat will have expanded the LPG/gas and iexcess propane is simply boiling off. You can check the tank fill by weighing them on a simple bathroom scale. It should weigh about 54-55 pounds full. Tank tare (stampted on the top ring) weight + 7 gallons of propane at 4.24 pounds/gallon should be the max weight

Then there is that regulator. They do have a finite life which in the past, I've found that was about 10 years. With that said I have just had to replace both the step down and main auto changeover regulator on our '14 5er (built in '13). I added new hoses as well since the originals were rock hard. My personalcourse of action - replace the regulator, use up those two tanks then install the two new and scrap the old ones
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
My personalcourse of action - replace the regulator, use up those two tanks then install the two new and scrap the old ones
I'm leaning towards that action. I think today I'll see about burning off the excess, if there is any. I have no idea what his qualifications are but owns an RV park in the area that's been there a while. He didn't check the date but filled by weight and I watched that. I didn't know the tanks were expired at first since it's a 12 trailer assumed they were only a few years old. Girl friend ordered 2 new off amazon but I hauled the old ones to another place to see what would happen. I'd have to check the dates again but they are only expired because the state reduced the inspection period this year. I have an amazon order I'm putting together so will add a regulator to it and install next time we are back.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #4

LP Regulators do NOT vent unless internal diaphragm has cracked.

Vent is on 'AIR' side which allows air to go IN/OUT as diaphragm moves from LP pressure.

Your RED (30#) regulator is junk.......replace it before using the 'off side' cylinder

Even though the cylinders are older you stated they had OPDs
And that they were filled by weight
Therefore they were NOT overfilled.......not causing issues
30# Reg just went bad (age)

Those 'older' tanks are still good.
They need to be 'recertified'....which is good for another 5 yrs (Repeat as needed)
5 yr recert is a 'visual' inspection, new date stamp....by a qualified propane vendor
Not very expensive.
Propane cylinders are only NO good when they become too rusted/damaged not because of age.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #5

As Old-Biscuit said, the regulator is bad. They don't vent due to over pressure. A regulator need atmosphere pressure to work properly. That's what the vent is for.

The over pressure relief valve will be on the tank itself and vent until the pressure drops to a safe amount.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #6

The auto switching regulator on our 2016 trailer died last year up in the Yukon Territory, so even a fairly new one can go bad. Ours did not leak; it just totally stopped working.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #7

I already have a new regulator on order. I'm not going to fool with trying to burn some off. Too dangerous with leaking propane and I kind of like the trailer. Interesting that the propane company wanted $49 each to recertify the cylinders and she bought the new ones off amazon for 48. Recertification involved replacing the valve according to them. Not many choices for where to get them done around here. After I replace the regulator and empty these cylinders, I'll fill the new ones. Probably will be a while since this trailer is more or less staying on the bayou in NW FL and I put full hookups in at the site.

Thanks for the comments, I suspected it was bad.

DR
Old 05-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
I already have a new regulator on order. I'm not going to fool with trying to burn some off. Too dangerous with leaking propane and I kind of like the trailer. Interesting that the propane company wanted $49 each to recertify the cylinders and she bought the new ones off amazon for 48. Recertification involved replacing the valve according to them. Not many choices for where to get them done around here. After I replace the regulator and empty these cylinders, I'll fill the new ones. Probably will be a while since this trailer is more or less staying on the bayou in NW FL and I put full hookups in at the site.

Thanks for the comments, I suspected it was bad.

DR
Recertification does NOT involve replacement of valve UNLESS it is the old POL style valve (pre 1998)
Think there was a miscommunication or understanding of what was needed done
Otherwise that propane place is scamming or has dummies

As for those New cylinders.

If they were shipped with AIR Pressure you will need to have them 'Purged' prior to actual fill

IF they were shipped with a 'VACUUM' pulled then you can just have them Filled
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Recertification does NOT involve replacement of valve UNLESS it is the old POL style valve (pre 1998)
Think there was a miscommunication or understanding of what was needed done
Otherwise that propane place is scamming or has dummies

As for those New cylinders.

If they were shipped with AIR Pressure you will need to have them 'Purged' prior to actual fill

IF they were shipped with a 'VACUUM' pulled then you can just have them Filled
The old tanks have the new style valves so maybe that was a miscommunication. Another gas place would rectify for $25 I think but by that time she had already ordered the new ones. They are sitting in my garage and I'm not sure if they have a vacuum or air in them. When the time comes I'll let the gas company know so they can take the appropriate measures to purge if necessary.

Meanwhile I pulled the bad regulator and will install the new one when I come back later in the week.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #10

We just had to have our tanks re-certified. We were in AZ at the time and called around. We found a Ferrell Gas location in Tucson who can test and re-cert tanks for $5 each. The staff was great to work with and the tech a very nice guy.... they do have early hours and close early...

BTW, Not only were they nice people but answered their phone. We had tried to call America Gas as well, just a phone recording, leave a message and when they called back 3 days later, their fee was $30 each.

We've noticed that a lot more locations are starting to look at the age of the tank and don't understand the re-cert sticker on the inside of the handle.

Tags
propane, vent