Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2022, 08:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
I get about 6 months per battery on the sensors. Two years on the receiver. A 10 pack of the batteries is pretty cheap, just leave them in the trailer junk drawer

I use the halo rings now as the supplied aluminum spacers break or fall off when getting refills.
Thanks for that reply, TravelSolo. You mean you have the same junk drawer I do? That's exactly where I put MY extra batteries, which are the same ones as used by my levelmate pro.

I didn't bother with the optional receiver, but use the phone app instead. I couldn't figure out the benefit of having one more gadget, when it seemed like the phone app, which was free, did the very same thing?

And even though batteries are relatively inexpensive, I couldn't figure out why the unit checks the propane level every 3 to 10 seconds. Now I know that it will send me an alert if the propane level gets below a certain point, so I guess it needs to be checking independently, rather than on demand, but it still seems like an hourly check, or even several times a day, would be plenty, and would keep the battery going even longer.

Puzzled why some folks have had poor results from the Mopeka unit. I know it says that it must be placed with the sensor in the very center of the bottom of the tank for the unit to work, and that the connection to the metal tank must be sound (no interference from rust or dirt). It also says, which I noticed to be true, that if you've been moving, it may take several minutes for things to settle down and to get an accurate reading.

So far I've been very pleased by this purchase, and purchased a second unit for my second tank.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2022, 12:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
I have it on mine, works perfectly.

Yep, we’ve been using the Mopeka system for the past few years and it works very well and they have even made it better. While we have the monitor I believe I get more accurate readings using their app on my iPhone.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #17

I’ll use up one tank, switch to the other, think about getting the Mopeka system, fill the empty tank and forget about getting a tank level sensor until the next time a propane tank runs out.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:06 PM   #18

I have the early versions of their sensors (Mopeka). It can be easy to tear off the magnet and at the same time tear off the sensor wire when removing the sensor to replace the battery.

You need to use good dielectric grease as a lube AND sensor enhancement between the sensor and tank. You get the sensor perfectly centered on the flat part of the tank underneath, set the tank right side up, wait a few minutes, then see ifthe readings are good. I then use Gorilla tape to secure the sensor tight to the tank bottom.

I replace the batteries in spring, like mid April. They usually last to end of season early October, 1 CR2032 per sensor. You can programthe sensor to report less often, I just don't remember the procedure offhand. This apparently doubles battery life.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:20 PM   #19

I also use the auto change to know when it is time.

I have a pretty good idea of how much propane I use also.

In the summer with no heater use I get about 3 weeks per tank. In cool temps where the heater kicks on 1-2 times early in the morning I get about 10-14 days. In temps where the heater kicks on a few times I get about a week. In really cold a couple of day.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
You can programthe sensor to report less often, I just don't remember the procedure offhand. This apparently doubles battery life.
Press and hold the sync button to change the update rate. But it only changes it from 3 to 10 second intervals, which I guess would indeed double the battery life.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 02:55 PM   #21

I have the Mopeka system, installed the sensors with the dielectric grease and a strip of Gorilla tape as already mentioned by kdauto, and have had no complaints with it over three summers of use. Mine reports to my cell phone rather than a dedicated receiver.

I only check my tanks before the start of every trip, unless one is getting really low and I'm trying to squeak by on it. I've learned that (on an iPhone, at least), turning the app off after use rather than just exiting out of it disconnects the senders and keeps them from reporting at all. By turning it off, I mean doing the double-tap on the bottom home button to show the apps in use, then swiping the Mopeka app upwards to remove it from the screen. I read this on a review somewhere, maybe Amazon, and it must work, as I am still on the original set of batteries in both senders.

Make sure and calibrate the tank size as already mentioned, if you have something different than a 20-gallon tank. Otherwise it will read "100%" on a 30-gallon tank until the level gets down to what a 20-gallon tank will hold, then it will read proportionally for a 20-gallon tank until empty.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Haven't used it but this seems like it could work.Attachment 379917
they are Junk, save your Money. I have three sets and none of them work
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:11 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Works for me. The only issue is it tends to have a short battery life.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:26 PM   #24

We have used the Mopeka LP Tank Sensors for the past 9 years. They work well and have kept the DW happy. We have two LP tanks. I've had to replace three sensors; once when there was an upgrade to the sensors and another when the battery clip solder joints failed. My attempt to resolder the clip worked for about three weeks. Unfortunately, it was out of warranty. The sensors work and I'll continue to use them but it is my opinion the quality control at the factory is substandard.
Ag Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:47 PM   #25

I just go by the tanks analog gauge. Can’t tell you that it’s very accurate, but I usually fill after every night of heavy furnace use. Otherwise it’s not on my mind, especially now since I have a 12V fridge!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:47 PM   #26

Believe it or not I bought a cheap laser temp reader for around $20. I use it for temps on many things. I check my prop tanks, I check wheel bearings on my camper, temps on my truck engine since I have the twin turbos, you can use it for many things and you can use it from many feet away.
Just a suggestion but they work great, are cheap and serve many purposes. Auto awning motors, slide motors, hyd motors on the leveling system. I'm guess over 100 people have taken my recommendation. There are more expensive ones but no more than you use them a cheap one works fine.
Blessings and safe travels
OldSalt59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:19 PM   #27

Quote:
These work great, used them for about a year.
Knocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:59 PM   #28

Thumbs up

Quote:
I use these and they are Great!

Dick
Greatgrandpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, gas, propane, tank