Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #1

Property for 5th wheel

Hi guys,

All of us have stayed in RV parks short term and long term. And some handle a 38’ plus fifth wheel a lot better than others. We have also noticed that some slides go out further than others and you’re literally inches from your neighbors when deployed. We’re all neighborly but come on!

And let’s face it, a fiver has a different set of problems not necessarily associated with Class A & C. Have any of you bought land and put in power, water and septic?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2021, 08:02 PM   #2

We have some land about 8 miles out of town & keep the 5er setup there. 45 ft pad with cover, buried power ( 200 amp), 50 & 30 amp rv plugs,well water, & septic. We did all the work & spend a lot of time there when not going camping someplace. We also have a family owned hideaway in the Arkansas Ozarks but it's boondocking.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:45 AM   #3

Great way to go if you go to the same place time after time. We found we wintered in southern Arizona and ended up with property in the Yuma Foothills. Very RV oriented area but some prefer the low cost of boondocking while others like the amenities and camaraderie of resort parks. Different strokes...
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:46 PM   #4

Hi guys and thanks for your comments. Spending $1,000 a month at an RV park gets one thinking? I know what land costs where we have an interest but don’t know what to expect for electric, septic and water? I’ll also need a 30x55 concrete pad but that’s relatively easy to price.

My wife and I are thinking about have a place in Florida for the winter months and The mountains of North Carolina/Georgia for the summer months. The more we think about it the more we like it.

It also allows us to take our home with us and not have to worry about the house we left behind. Now I need to get an idea for the prices of the hookups?
Old 11-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #5

Those costs will vary wildly. You need to identify your land first. How far to the nearest power line, how deep are wells in the area and what type of septic system does the local jurisdiction require? The last one I did was in North Central Montana. Wells in that area were only about 80', the electric co-op would run up to 1000' for just the cost of the meter base and the county did not have a sanitarian but thought a septic system would be a good idea. We were all in all done for under 10 grand. Most of what we did wouldn't meet code in a more populous area but was considered really good for where we were at.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:26 AM   #6

Folks who are thinking about something similar to the OP's plans should check local building regs, zoning, etc.

Some towns/villages have rules concerning RV usage as a dwelling.

This isn't meant to discourage folks, but there have been times when properties have been purchased for this sort of use but then they found out that it is prohibited.

Just an FYI from a former town official.
sugarhillctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi guys,

All of us have stayed in RV parks short term and long term. And some handle a 38’ plus fifth wheel a lot better than others. We have also noticed that some slides go out further than others and you’re literally inches from your neighbors when deployed. We’re all neighborly but come on!

And let’s face it, a fiver has a different set of problems not necessarily associated with Class A & C. Have any of you bought land and put in power, water and septic?
We found 20acres with power. this is exactly what we wanted. we have a 15 and 30 amp break for our TT. we will be adding a 50 amp this spring for our 5er. we will start by adding a septic tank and have that pumped every other year or as needed.
the only downside is you will be going to the same spot every time and your neighbors will never change.
another question is, should you just build a cabin or buy a tiny home vs TT or 5er?

Tim
NewTekBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:04 AM   #8

Thanks guys, We plan to either buy land with existing cabin or raw land to build on. As for neighbors, I’ll not bother them if they don’t bother me. It’s just nice to have your own place with your own space.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks guys, We plan to either buy land with existing cabin or raw land to build on. As for neighbors, I’ll not bother them if they don’t bother me. It’s just nice to have your own place with your own space.
Just as stated before, check zoning laws to be sure, parking a rv is permissible. See lots of ads for property on the Texas coast and Florida that specify no RV's. We have come up with a possible solution to our winter travels. We like the place we are workcamping, and think we will come back. Just going to put the f'ver in storage and not drag it back and forth, since we seldom use it in the summer...

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #10

Hi pddgm, How right you are. I’m somewhat fortunate because one of the cities I’m looking at has no restrictions. Or most of the outlying areas anyway. Sometimes that means pretty junky place, but not there.

The other city bordering the above has many restrictions, HOA’s etc. Here it’s a matter of reading the fine print and having a realtor who knows their stuff.

But I’ve learned enough now to know to spend a day in the city and county zoning departments once a property is selected.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Hi guys and thanks for your comments. Spending $1,000 a month at an RV park gets one thinking? I know what land costs where we have an interest but don’t know what to expect for electric, septic and water? I’ll also need a 30x55 concrete pad but that’s relatively easy to price.

My wife and I are thinking about have a place in Florida for the winter months and The mountains of North Carolina/Georgia for the summer months. The more we think about it the more we like it.

It also allows us to take our home with us and not have to worry about the house we left behind. Now I need to get an idea for the prices of the hookups?
Excatly what we do. We have 55 acres in the NC mountains and have built a house but lived in a RV initially. Also have a 1/4 acre lot on a river in Florida....30 minute boat ride to the Gulf. I HIGHLY recommend the life style. We pull the 5th wheel to FL and spend a month in October. Then come home (leaving the 5th in FL) for T'Giving & Christmas. First week of January, we head to FL until mid-April.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:00 AM   #12

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhillctd View Post
Folks who are thinking about something similar to the OP's plans should check local building regs, zoning, etc.

Some towns/villages have rules concerning RV usage as a dwelling.

This isn't meant to discourage folks, but there have been times when properties have been purchased for this sort of use but then they found out that it is prohibited.

Just an FYI from a former town official.

We just purchased 15 acres in South-Central TN on a hillside. Only thing we cannot do it put a mobile home on it - have it in writing. RVs are a non-issue. Our plan is to set part of it up for our 36-ft Alliance 310RL so we have a base to work from when we head there from our house here in Florida. Then after I retire in a few years for the 2nd time, and we sell the current Florida homestead, we will live out of the RV until the house we plan to build is done.
Bhidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
Excatly what we do. We have 55 acres in the NC mountains and have built a house but lived in a RV initially. Also have a 1/4 acre lot on a river in Florida....30 minute boat ride to the Gulf. I HIGHLY recommend the life style. We pull the 5th wheel to FL and spend a month in October. Then come home (leaving the 5th in FL) for T'Giving & Christmas. First week of January, we head to FL until mid-April.
May I ask where you found an unrestricted for RV's spot on the Gulf Coast?
It's like finding a unicorn!
Smoke Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #14

Most of Franklin county Florida is unrestricted and allows full time living on property purchases.

Tags
5th wheel