Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Several fifth wheel manufacturers are going toward two "dual wheel" axles rather than three single axles on their larger rigs.

I've heard that with three axles there is a tendency for the third axle to skuff the tire in turns and wondered what the fifth wheel community folks here on iRV2 think of two axles versus three.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Several fifth wheel manufacturers are going toward two "dual wheel" axles rather than three single axles on their larger rigs.

I've heard that with three axles there is a tendency for the third axle to skuff the tire in turns and wondered what the fifth wheel community folks here on iRV2 think of two axles versus three.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I wonder if this a Newmar first, also.

I vote for 2 axles, dual wheels.

Less scuffing.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Bob,

Before I bought my current 3 axle 37CKRD I was of the impression a triple axle trailer would be more difficult to maneuver than a same size trailer with dual axles. I've learned after having mine for several months that maneuverability and tire scuffing isn't any more of a negative than it would be on the dual axle model.

When turning a tight turn, I've noticed the unit seems to pivot on the center axle with the front axle flexing opposite from the rear. Neither sidewall seems to scuff any more than the sidewall on a two axle trailer.

With the triple axles and the Dexter hydraulic disc brakes (rated at 8,000 pounds) you'll have 24,000 pounds of brake rating on a trailer with a GVWR of 18,700 pounds. The brakes are awesome.

My trailer tracks like a train, never any sway in crosswinds or from truckers blowing by which is attributable to the three axles under it. Another plus is that NuWa is able to use the 'E' rated tires on a Tri-axle, the 'G' rated tires are notorious for blowing out a highway speeds. Remember Rusty's little problem with his on the way to the rally? His Mobile Suite rides on 4 'G' rated tires. Each 'E' rated tire is rated at 3,084# so doing the math you'll have 18,504 pounds of tire rating on the trailer, almost enough for the entire GVWR of the trailer without subtracting anything for the pin weight. You'd be hard pressed to overload it.

When buying 6 new tires, they probably won't cost much more than 4 of higher priced 'G' rated tires and will be much easier to find.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #5

Bob, from reading threads on this subject from "full-timers", most with 3 axles say they would prefer dual tandems instead. Those with dual tandems say they are well satisfied with them.
In addition to the turning/tire scrubbing issue, having a flat on triple axles is no better than straight tandems. As you know, a flat on duals still leaves the load supported until you can find a place to stop. Dual tandems offer the ability to have "wet axles", whereas single axles use standard greased wheel bearings.

The down-side is you have 8 tires to replace.

A Pressure Pro system (from RVUpgrades of course!) will cost $100 more for two additional valve stem sending units-still a bargain.
Any future fifth wheel for us will have dual tandems, whether standard, special order.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Richard and Ray for your thoughts.....any others?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have a dual 7k axle trailer and a triple 5200lb axle trailer. I don't see much difference in them towing except the triple RIDES and tow's much better than the dual axle trailer. I guess the tire scrub might be an issue if you were turning all the time but its a non issue in the usual way of usage. I do find you do not have the rear end swing with the triple that you do with the dual. And with the triple you have another set of brakes to stop with.

Overall, I'll take my triple axle over the dual, even with the extra expense on the tires and brakes. Since I don't have any experience with a dual wheel type I can't comment on that part of it.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
That is why Newmar moved away from 3 axles to dual tandems. I have been looking hard at the Kountry Aire trailers (have the floorplan picked out). They use Dual tandem 9000# axles with LR-E tires.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K-Star:
That is why Newmar moved away from 3 axles to dual tandems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have been looking hard at the Kountry Aire trailers (have the floorplan picked out). They use Dual tandem 9000# axles with LR-E tires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which one?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #10

I dont see many owners that have towed trailer enough to wear out the tread on tires , so I dont buy into the scuffing idea. But I will say 3 axels will be very sensitive to ride hight , it better be perfect of your going to have one axel over weight for sure ! I vote on triples or two duel tires if its over 18,000lbs
Old 09-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #11

I have been looking at the Newmar models as I approach retirement for that exact reason.

I have no experience with a triple, but I like the extra support of tandem dual in case of blowout etc. I had a flat(on the trailer) in the middle of nowhere with a rig, and because I was near empty, I didn't worry about it until I got to where I needed to be.

what are some of the other brands that are going this way?

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #12

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllll

I have towed many a dual axle trailer. The three axle fiver I have now tows a lot better than any of my previous trailers.

As far as the dual tandem.....

I can only go by the gooseneck flatbeds I have towed. The triple axle flatbed dovetail tows better than the dual tandem flatbed dovetail when loaded. The triple axle is three 8,000 pound axles. The dual tandem has two 12,000 pound axles. SO they both have 24,000 pounds of axle capacity.

In my opinion the tire scrub aspect really does not come into play....
Old 09-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #13

I have remained mum on this particular issue as long as possible.
Tri axles tires will last just as long as tandemsand/or duals. Scuffing is at minimum. If you look at most tri axles there is alway (almost) 1 axle that has most of the weight on a sharp turn, unless the ground is perfectly smooth.
Dual tires on a 5ver will be a mistake for most owners as they cannot or do not know how to check for flats and etc.
Tri axle also gives you 2 more brakes, whether electric or disc. Tri axle will give you a better ride.
If you have a flat on a dual tired rig or a triaxles, tandem or even single axle you almost have to change the tire quite sudden. Slow running with a flat can be done with either set up. Duals puts all of the weight on the inflated tire. Triple axle will put the weight to the other 2 tires.
Peaceful
Old 09-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #14

No one has mentioned, on this thread, the fact that a pair of dual tire axles requires that the frame rails be closer together (narrower frame). Does that encourage a more top-heavy box, which might sway more? (higher center of gravity)

I like the look of the Newmar duals, and they seem like a sturdy setup. I don't think either arrangement would be a deal-breaker for me.
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote