Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #1

Pulled trigger on Big Country

Hello all,

After months of RV shows, lurking forums and visits to at least five dealers, we have chosen a 2015 Big Country 3596 RE and are super excited to hit the road early next year for our adventure across the U.S.

As I'm getting my list prepared for the PDI this Saturday, I'm looking for any insight so I make sure I cover everything I need with the dealer successfully. I have put together a PDI checklist that was from a friend that bought a Class A, but is there any list specific to a Fiver?

Other recommendations needed:

-Basement storage ideas
-We want to install a generator to be able to boondock between destinations and for our dogs(3) if we stop for a day trip and can't take them with. Our fiver is prepped, but want to see if an integrated Onan or an external Honda 3000 is ideal.
-I posted this topic in the trailering area, but I'm looking for a good hitch setup as well.

Thank you!

2015 Big Country 3596 RE
TV Pending purchase
norcalgundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #2

You can get a 5500 kw Onan which will run 2 ac for a little less then $4000 and free shipping from Norwall power. That is where l got mine works great. Just push the button in the trl and it fires up no set hassels . IMHO
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #3

Thank you jacknife.

I am leaning that way, but want to see if I could be swayed the other way.

Did you get a Propane version?
Old 11-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

Congrats on your new Big Country. Can't wait to see some pictures.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

Yes less problems dealing with another fuel source. I will use about a gal an hr with 2 acs running. just put a spare bottle in pickup bed. You would have to carry gas anyway. With gas you jave other problems with varnishing ,ethonal and smellier fumes. I personally didn't trust that thin steel from keeping the gen in. I ran a piece of 2" square tubing the width of the trl with tabs and bolted to flange on frame. If tou decide to go that way l can send you a pic on how we did it. Very simple and sturdy. Gen also comes with a 3 year warrenty. Onan is owned by Cummins and they have shops all over the US . Thier not cheap but they are good.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #6

Thank you for the replies.

I am convinced the propane is the best option along with the Onan Gen. I think this is what we will be doing.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #7

Thanks to all that responded, it is greatly appreciated as my family and I embark on hitting the road full time for the next year to explore, this forum is already becoming a great asset to learn from others experience.

Happy trails and thanks again.

JS

2015 Big Country 3596 RE
TV Pending purchase
Old 11-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #8

I have the 5500 Onan in my Suites--it will run thru a 40# tank in about 8-10 hours, so be ready for that. I carry a 3rd 40# tank with me when I know I will be in one space for several days when extremely hot (+90d). But you might be pleasantly surprised how well the trailer stays cool if never allowed to get real warm inside. It also isn't easy to manhandle those tanks when small and older as I am.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #9

Congratulations Norcalgundog,

I looked up your unit online and it looks like a very nice one. I am about 5 years from retirement so have just started educating myself about motorhomes and 5th wheels in anticipation of spending a year or two on the road when the time comes.

I hope you update us on your ownership experience. I have been a little surprised by the number of issues new units seem to have except maybe with the high end ones. You would think in this day and age of ISO9000 Rv manufacturer's would not let units out the factory door with any issues.
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:46 PM   #10

After seven months and 2,500 miles in our FW, all has been pretty good so far with some typical poor QC issues. We have upgraded a few items to make the rig work for us, but still have a laundry list of items to be done to enhance storage and boondocking capabilities.

We are currently in the PNW for the summer and having a blast. I have to say, it seems like I'm always surrounded my Diesel Pushers every park we go to I think we have our eyes on a DP for our next home on wheels after many discussions with the wifey and some DP owners/converts.

Safe travels

2015 Big Country 3596 RE
2011 F350 CC Lariat DRW
Old 06-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #11

Congratulations. This one is pretty long but it sure looks comprehensive and would be a good starting point.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzx...p4WHZIOWs/view

Despite what some might say, the heartlandowners forum is a great place.

Good luck.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led