Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2022, 03:37 PM   #1

Arrow Pulling SxS into garage

Have any of you guys with the bigger SxS's picked up any tricks to make pulling in the any easier? My Maverick is about 14ft long & 74" wide, so it fills up both the garage length and door width on my Momentum 381m. It only took a few minutes with the help of my wife, but because of the dovetail, it definitely seems that getting the last few inches in is really hard on the belt and other parts. Your trying to get as close as possible while not hitting it, while simultaneously rolling back when not on the brake. Those last few inches you see behind me are actually required for the 3 season doors and patio rails.

I have a winch up front, so using that would make things exponentially easier and allow me to do it without help. BUT, I have no idea what I could attach it to. Since I have to get to within an inch of the wall or so, I can't do it on the D ring. I don't think anything on that wall will support pulling up 2100# up the ramp, right?

Let's hear it!

timelinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2022, 07:47 AM   #2

Why can't you use a D ring?? I pull my sidexside into the trailer with the winch all the time. If it's because you are getting so close that you are pulling the front of the SxS down with the winch, you could try putting a small snatch block in the D ring and running your line through the snatch block then attaching the hook to the rear of the SxS. The snatch block should swing up high enough that you are not pulling down on the front of the SxS. Not sure this is clear except in my head https://aax-us-iad.amazon.com/x/c/Qr...8-1f755ee3ddb8
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nourse View Post
Why can't you use a D ring?? I pull my sidexside into the trailer with the winch all the time. If it's because you are getting so close that you are pulling the front of the SxS down with the winch, you could try putting a small snatch block in the D ring and running your line through the snatch block then attaching the hook to the rear of the SxS. The snatch block should swing up high enough that you are not pulling down on the front of the SxS. Not sure this is clear except in my head https://aax-us-iad.amazon.com/x/c/Qr...8-1f755ee3ddb8
A few things.

I've heard the D-rings are notoriously weak and just pull out. It's possible the few people that complained online may have just got defectively installed ones? What do you say about that?

I THINK I understand what you are saying. I present you with my van gogh

Like that?

The problem is that driving up to where the D-ring is, is actually the easy part. The hardest part to do alone is the last few inches which are PAST the forward most D-ring. Not only do I have to get close to the wall, but because of the dovetail, my SxS gets pulled backwards when my foot isn't on the brake. So it's difficult to creep up slowly and accurately for those last few inches and constantly get out and check.

A wheel chuck does seem to be a good solution.

Putting in a D-ring of sorts in the WALL would be an even BETTER solution. However I don't think anything in the wall would hold the weight of winching up the SxS right?
timelinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:58 AM   #4

Do you have a remote control for the winch? Then you could stand wherever you want and place a wheel chock behind any of the wheels once you get it where you want it, just to hold it in place while strapping it down.

That being said I've read of D-rings being pulled out as well. I'm thinking about using two d-rings at the same time with a rope going across width wise from one D-ring to the other. Then tie up to your side x side using the middle of that rope which would distribute the weight between the two D-rings.
mto502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
A few things.

I've heard the D-rings are notoriously weak and just pull out. It's possible the few people that complained online may have just got defectively installed ones? What do you say about that?

I THINK I understand what you are saying. I present you with my van gogh

Like that?

The problem is that driving up to where the D-ring is, is actually the easy part. The hardest part to do alone is the last few inches which are PAST the forward most D-ring. Not only do I have to get close to the wall, but because of the dovetail, my SxS gets pulled backwards when my foot isn't on the brake. So it's difficult to creep up slowly and accurately for those last few inches and constantly get out and check.

A wheel chuck does seem to be a good solution.

Putting in a D-ring of sorts in the WALL would be an even BETTER solution. However I don't think anything in the wall would hold the weight of winching up the SxS right?
Your drawing is what I had in mind. As far as the strength of the D rings, mine are rated at 2,500 and I have not had an issue. As someone else mentioned, a remote for the winch makes things easy. In fact, I don't even ride mine in. I just walk beside it as I am winching it in with the remote.

I agree that there is nothing in the wall that is going to be strong enough to tie onto to a winch.

Another idea might be to get it where you want it once, and put wheel chocks in place and mark them. After that when you are ready to load, just put the chocks in place where they were marked and drive up to them. They would keep you from hitting the wall and place you just where you want to be. I do this just for insurance that I don't hit the wall. I just marked the locations with black electrical tape that does not even show unless you look really close.

Also you could cut a couple of 2x6's that just fit between the chock where you want it and the wall. This would wedge the chock in so that it couldn't move forward.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 12:04 PM   #6

On my Rzr I hook a Come-a-long into the hook in the back and into the E-track and winch it in by hand the last couple inches

2006 Keystone Raptor 3712
waterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote