Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #1

Pullrite Superglide Capture Plate Advice Needed

Does anybody use the Multi-Fit Capture plate?
My model # would be 3365 for the Lippert 1716 pin box. This is the plate that is replacing 6 of their pin box specific plates. It's been my experience that the term "multi-fit" or "one size fits all" or "Universal" is a recipe for disaster. There is limited stock of the pin box specific capture plate still available (model 331705) from Amazon and a few other vendors.
Would I be better off with the plate intended for my pin box? I'm not familiar with how they mount and how reliable they are. Any information is appreciated.
DZacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
The capture plate for the Superglide is attached to your existing pin box by 12 or so countersunk screws with nylon nuts. You will need to drill holes in your pin box to match up to the holes in the capture plate or, depending on your pin box you may have to drill additional holes in the capture plate. I think they recommend 4 across the front 3 down each side and back and couple around the pin. I would not use anything but a capture plate specific to the hitch model.
These things are the "pigs squeal". ( top of the line)
I would call Pullrite.
I used the same capture plate on a 99 Alfa, 05 Alfa and a 13 Excel.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #3

From what I'm reading, these capture plates are only secured by one bolt and come off easily. I know there was a universal plate that had a bunch of holes in it and required drilling the trailer plate. I have a capture plate that came with the hitch but it is for a large Mooride unit. I suppose it could be drilled and counter sunk for flush bolts.
DZacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #4

I used the universal capture plate with the predrilled holes and never had any issue. It mounts real easy. It fits over/around the kingpin. What I did was put in place around the kingpin, 2 c-clamps to hold it in place, lined up the edges, clamped it and used the predrilled holes in the adapter plate as my drill guide. I used the 1/4" bit to mark all the holes, removed the plate, and drilled all the way thru from the bottom side up. Pullrite sends all the bolts, washers, and locknuts. It may have taken me 10 minutes start to finish.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #5

I have the specific plate for my hitch. Goes on and off with just one allen screw. So it's easy to take off if you bring your trailer in for service or need to haul it with another truck. But just be aware that it's also really easy to steal. Always use a king pin lock when not hitched. Otherwise you might find yourself stuck somewhere and not be able to move your trailer.
majorloser is offline   Reply With Quote