Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2015, 05:16 AM   #15

We see semi trailers on the road here with flaps on the rear doors that mimic the rear cap. It is based on fuel economy, same as the skirts from the landing gear to the tires.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #16

I had been watching a walk-around video where it was mentioned a certain manufacturer designed the front and rear cap to work together providing a 2 or 3 mile per gallon benefit from the aerodynamics. That was the reason I posted the question regarding the reasons for the fancier full rear cap. I've been everywhere looking for the manufacturer to have listed this claim on their website and have not found it listed. I purposely did not name the manufacturer to avoid upsetting anyone.
mds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:38 AM   #17

"I purposely did not name the manufacturer to avoid upsetting anyone"

I am upset because you did not mention the manufacturer!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never considered the effect of the rounded v/s square corner on fuel economy but logically it might make a tiny improvement.

However use of the full rear cap has two major advantages that I can think of

1: Makes it way easier to wire the tail lights and such.. Way way easier. also makes it easier to work on them if needed.

2: When (not if) you back into a tree and crack it.. Well a whole lot easier fixing the rear cap than fixing the rear wall.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #19

Any aerodynamics added is a plus. A rounded nose is a definate plus over a square one. Why do Motor homes get such poor mileage because they have the aerodynamics of a cinder block !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #20

So "a certain manufacturer designed the front and rear caps to work together providing a 2 to 3 mpg benefit from the aerodynamics"
And you believed this...?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #21

I could use a 33% improvement in fuel economy.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #22

The only thing I might believe is that front cap design would make a difference in fuel economy. I was thinking on the lines the mileage improvement of 2 to 3 miles per gallon would be compared to those with lessor designs. As for back cap I have been looking for reasons why the extra expense is justified and I've appreciated the reasons given by others who replied.

My guess is back cap design has no bearing on the fuel economy.
mds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #23
IC2

I suspect that the purposely designed full front and rear cap 5er that's being alluded to is a Glendale Titanium. They were discontinued in 2010.

As far as improved fuel mileage - maybe - though my V10 F350 never got more then 7.4 mpg (gas, not diesel)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #24

There is supposed to be small fuel advantage in having a front and rear cap designed for this purpose. If it's 1 gallon a tank for, I'd be happy. Semi trucks and there trailers are using this advantage as well.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #25

I've been told that the most aerodynamic shape is an egg (leading with the big end). Unfortunately that isn't a very practical shape for an RV. I would imagine that anything a manufacturer can do to approach that shape would be a help in the fuel economy department.

For the past few years it seems that most manufacturers have gone to rounded front caps rather than the flat fronts of the first 5'ers. Part of that may be more attention to wind resistance and part may be a way of gaining a few more cubic feet of interior space. The rear caps may be more of a styling exercise than anything else, with perhaps a bit of added fuel economy for good measure.

BTW, do you know why most new cars all look alike? They are all wind tunnel tested, and an aerodynamic shape gives the best fuel economy, and every manufacturer is being forced to improve economy. I wonder how long it will be before RV manufacturers will have to do their part, too.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #26

The back cap looks better period !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote