Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2021, 06:59 PM   #1

Question about EternaBond tape installation

I am going to be butting eternabond over the entire perimeter of my roof. How should I go about laying it down? I was thinking cut off 4-6 foot sections and overlap them maybe 2 inches? Thoughts?
Azsnakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2021, 07:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azsnakelover View Post
I am going to be butting eternabond over the entire perimeter of my roof. How should I go about laying it down? I was thinking cut off 4-6 foot sections and overlap them maybe 2 inches? Thoughts?
I assume you mean the outer seams where the roof meets the sidewalls. Avoid cutting and splicing. Every time you do you risk a failed seam. Doing the entire side at one time is probably a two man (or woman) job.

The real question is why are you putting eternabond over the entire seam?
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azsnakelover View Post
I assume you mean the outer seams where the roof meets the sidewalls. Avoid cutting and splicing. Every time you do you risk a failed seam. Doing the entire side at one time is probably a two man (or woman) job.

The real question is why are you putting eternabond over the entire seam?
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:39 PM   #4

I would cut off a strip long enough to cover the entire side, if I'm understanding what you are asking, and then
start at one end and peel the the backing off a few inches at a time, stick it down and then do a few more inches until you reach the end.
jimNsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:42 PM   #5

Preparation of the area you are covering is absolute key. We scrubbed with 50% vinegar water mix thoroughly. Follow the instructions Eternabond recommend on that and take time on the preparation it really is crucial. We have used Eternabond on our roof about 6 years ago sealing around any and all furniture up there like fans, air vents, antenna, stacks, ladder connection bolts = absolutely anything screwed or connected. Never had a leak since. Still good when we've inspected every year since. We even used it thinly around our leaking after reset 3 times windscreen and it's still working well on that, and looks tidy.

However, I would caution you on handling very long lengths of the stuff. It's not an easy application and likely won't look pretty on long lengths, but doable, if you lay it out and then at the start peel a few inches back and pull and use the roller well to activate the adhesion. A second person wouldn't go amiss guiding the roll of tape ahead of you removing the backing at this juncture. I'd even just leave it on the roll till you get to the end and pay attention to your corners for sealing well!

In our books Eternabond is the bomb for avoiding leaking roofs, and that's after trying untold other products for the first 10 years that we seemed to be forever reapplying. We even found uses for it around our house in Florida where pipes came out the stucco etc.

Good luck and happy travels.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:47 PM   #6

Using a small roller to smooth it down is a real big tip--cleaning first is even more important. Never tried to do more than 8' crosswise at a time, but it sure held well.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:56 AM   #7

"I'd even just leave it on the roll till you get to the end and pay attention to your corners for sealing well!"

Could you provide some detail on this part, please?

I want to do the roof appliances, but was unsure of how to make the 90's at the corner turns around the items. Do you just roll it around on a bend/fold, or cut it at the corners?
Smoke Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
However, I would caution you on handling very long lengths of the stuff. It's not an easy application and likely won't look pretty on long lengths, but doable, if you lay it out and then at the start peel a few inches back and pull and use the roller well to activate the adhesion. A second person wouldn't go amiss guiding the roll of tape ahead of you removing the backing at this juncture. I'd even just leave it on the roll till you get to the end and pay attention to your corners for sealing well!

Good luck and happy travels.
This. No need to overlap but maybe 1/2 inch. It will stick to itself very well. Trying to do long sections is difficult and it’s hard to keep straight. I tried it one time and the end result looked messy. I agree with 2 people being better but one can do it. If it touches ANYTHING, it will stick and it’s difficult to remove. You will not be able to reposition it and that’s why it’s easier to work with shorter sections.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater View Post

I want to do the roof appliances, but was unsure of how to make the 90's at the corner turns around the items. Do you just roll it around on a bend/fold, or cut it at the corners?
Cut at the corners. Once you do the outside edges, you’ll have a feel for working with it. It’s great stuff but there’s a little learning curve.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond, install, installation