Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottHelmann View Post
Just so everyone knows- You don't need to cover your panels or do anything in particular- solar panels will not harm or "cook" any of your electronics if left not connected to a load. When the sun shines on them with no load they just develop a voltage but no current flows anywhere. That is just mis-information.

Scott Helmann
Senior Electronics Tech

In the documentation for Morningstar controllers, they STRONGLY discourage having the solar panels connected to the controller IF the batteries have been removed from the circuit. That is the purpose I believe for having disconnects in the path from panels to controller.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Just so everyone knows- You don't need to cover your panels or do anything in particular- solar panels will not harm or "cook" any of your electronics if left not connected to a load. When the sun shines on them with no load they just develop a voltage but no current flows anywhere. That is just mis-information.

Scott Helmann
Senior Electronics Tech
When I disconnected my batteries, my solar charger when into charge mode. I suspect a fair amount of heat is built up...I think it is exactly like running your car without a battery..it will cook your alternator.

The PO did exactly that one year and the electronics had to be replaced. Others RV'ers have had the same experience.

I didn't come to this conclusion only talking on RV boards, I did talk to "solar panel" experts..research is my second nature.

Myth perhaps..but so is a battery being drained if left on a cement floor for winter storage....but try it.

I spent 20+ years in the IT world..mainly wans / lans and I saw too much of "this isn't possible:..and a lot of what were these "experts" thinking..

In my world, it is better to be safe than sorry.. and this is one worry off my list.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477059265.473552.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	142147
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477059287.916271.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	142148
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:19 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Why would you remove the batteries? I just leave them in as the solar panels will keep them fully charged and with a fully charged battery array you won't have to worry about them freezing or becoming sulfated as they self discharge during those months your setup is in storage.

If you are going to remove the batteries then of course you want to disconnect power (or trip the breakers) to remove power from both the input and outputs of your solar charger.

Lead acid batteries left on a concrete floor over winter experience a higher self discharge and sulfation rate due to the temperature differences of the electrolyte between the top and bottom of the battery. It took me a few years running a large batteryshop at a big military maintenance facility to figure out what was going on. We changed to storing batteries on wooden pallets which provided an air gap between the battery and the floor and the problems disappeared.
SSG Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Why would you remove the batteries?

Scott,

The thread is not about removing the batteries. It is about any downside to leave the system running ...

Quote:
Lead acid batteries left on a concrete floor over winter experience a higher self discharge and sulfation rate due to the temperature differences of the electrolyte between the top and bottom of the battery. It took me a few years running a large batteryshop at a big military maintenance facility to figure out what was going on. We changed to storing batteries on wooden pallets which provided an air gap between the battery and the floor and the problems disappeared.
" .. says battery manufacturer Yuasa "Nowadays, containers are made from a solid plastic that does not allow any current to flow through it, so the batteries do not discharge, even if they sit in a few inches of water."

We all know to put a removed battery on wood..why we do this is a question for folks far smarter than me..

My rig is now in storage with the solar system running.

Thanks all for your help.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
The cautions and warnings you are referring to are pertaining to installing or making changes through maintenance or battery replacement on a solar system. As an electrical engineer when writing cautions and warning I have to consider all the possible things people may do during these phases of use. It's always a better choice to be cautions or even overly cautions. You can never find fault in that.

A lead acid battery's self discharge rate increases (in the discussion about storing them on cold concrete in the winter) when stored where there is a difference between the temperature between the top and bottom of the battery. This is why they often seem to go dead more quickly in storage. There is no current flow through the casing (as long as it's clean between the terminals) since the advent of newer battery casing materials in the 1960 and 70s
SSG Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels