Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Another vote for the Champion 3500. Runs one AC and charges my batteries on 1.5 gal of gas per day. I have to run a CPAP at night. When the gen runs out of gas the RV goes on batteries until the AM. I gas up and run it again.
Jkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #30

We have a Champion 4000 watt inverter generator.

It is not as quiet as a Honda, but very close, and at a fraction of the cost.

We've run it in the bed of the truck at a rest stop. 3 feet away from the truck you cannot hear it over the semi's running.

I like that it only runs at the RPM needed for the load.

It easily handles are A/C, battery charger and microwave at the same time.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:58 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkoch View Post
I have to run a CPAP at night. When the gen runs out of gas the RV goes on batteries until the AM. I gas up and run it again.
Lots of threads about this but... Many CPAP's (and BiPAP's) are 12V and can be ran directly from battery. If you can get by without the humidifier, it consumes very little power. I've ran mine without humidifier (just under 12 watts) and directly from battery for years.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:25 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
A solar panel quietly generates electricity.
COMPLETELY Agree!!! That's why I have nearly 1,720 watts of solar power and live from it. About as good as it gets!!
Old 08-11-2018, 06:36 AM   #33

I have an On Board Onan 5500W generator. I also have 2 Honda 2000W. generators with the parallel cord. I seldom run the 5500W. as the Hondas supply most of our power needs.
We just returned from a 5 day trip to Watkins Glen Raceway for the NASCAR race. I ran one Honda from early evening to power my son's stereo system and a string of lights around the awning over the picnic table where we sit and often play a few games of cards. We had my MH there as well as my son's tow behind and could plug both in to recharge batteries as well as run my MH's fridge on electric instead of propane. When we were ready for bed I would switch over to the other Honda which would run all night to power the C-PAP machine our friend has to use while sleeping. In the morning after everyone was up I would refill both generators with fuel. I would start 1 Honda and run it long enough for the girls to use their hair dryer.
We stayed a total of 4 nights and used just under 6 gallons of gas total.
I never started the ONAN.
A friend of ours recently bought a new 5th. wheel and a new Predator 3500W. generator. I was at a dirt track race parked near him and he told me about his new generator. We were standing perhaps 50' from his pickup truck. He was telling me how much he licked the Predator and how quiet it was. I asked him to start it so I could hear for myself. I didn't realize until we were about 10' from the pickup the generator was in the bed of the truck and it was running. I was impressed how quiet it was. Not much, if any, louder than my Hondas. He hadn't had it long enough to really see how the fuel economy was though. Ron bought the Predator from Harbor Freight on sale for $695 plus he bought an extended warranty. I don't recall how much he said he paid for the extended warranty coverage. Ron is a contractor and will use the generator on jobs so he figured the coverage would be worthwhile.
My Hondas get a lot of use other than for camping trips. I can throw one on the front rack of my ATV and use it to power circular saws, Sawzalls, and drills in the fields building and or maintaining deer hunting stands and blinds. I also use one to run an electric limb trim saw for clearing trails and powering work lights when needed at remote locations. I'm constantly finding new uses for the Hondas. I take a Honda along to power lights in my 26' enclosed snowmobile trailer in the winter time when we are racing.
The best advice I could give would be to figure you power needs and what you will use a generator for then buy to fit your needs.
BTW, I have never had a problem with the Hondas. The only maintenance they have had is an annual oil change and one spark plug change. I bought them in 2013 when I bought my Class C which did not have an On Board generator.
Lynn
Old 08-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #34

I'm running a pair of Westinghouse iGen2500 gennys. I purchased the pairing cable for them and the gens from Home Depot.

I can run a single if I want or the pair. The sync up with each other so running two is not much louder than one.

They are invertor made by someone else and sold and warrantied by WH. Pull start easy. We have walked around the campgrounds with them running and loaded and the noise is typical of these quite generators. We place the set so that our rig blocks noise from others and point the muffler end away from others as well. Position makes a big difference. We're willing to put up with more noise in our rig than inflict it on others. They weight about 50 pounds each, dry and hold about 6-8 hours worth of fuel and 50% load. Not scientifically measured. I am doing a review of them in the forum about RV Technology if you want more details.
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:52 PM   #35

I'd probably go predator this point over champion - cheaper, same output, apparently similarily quiet, but more importantly an additional 50% more fuel (2.5gallon)

Why champion put such a puny 1.5 gallon tank on the inverters.....4 hours with the AC is not enough.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
I'd probably go predator this point over champion - cheaper, same output, apparently similarily quiet, but more importantly an additional 50% more fuel (2.5gallon)

Why champion put such a puny 1.5 gallon tank on the inverters.....4 hours with the AC is not enough.
Methinks there are different Champions...the 4kw inverter we have has a 2.9 gallon tank and is rated to run 17 hours at 50% load.

We do not run it all day, only when needed, and sometimes well over 50%, but the 2.9 gallons last 1.5 or more days in the summer when the A/C is on while we're in the TH.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM Rolling View Post
Methinks there are different Champions...the 4kw inverter we have has a 2.9 gallon tank and is rated to run 17 hours at 50% load.

We do not run it all day, only when needed, and sometimes well over 50%, but the 2.9 gallons last 1.5 or more days in the summer when the A/C is on while we're in the TH.
4kw Inverter?

I only know of the 2800/3100w or the 3100/3400w. They have 1.5gal tanks and are rated for 8 hours at 25% load on a 1.5 gal tank. Not enough. I'm looking at a boat tank setup for mine...
Old 08-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #38

Quote:
4kw Inverter?

I only know of the 2800/3100w or the 3100/3400w. They have 1.5gal tanks and are rated for 8 hours at 25% load on a 1.5 gal tank. Not enough. I'm looking at a boat tank setup for mine...
Here you go...it is a bit of false advertising...it is a 3500 watt continuous, with a surge to 4000 watt. You can see it at this link-

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-4000...N/ref=sr_1_1?s

$569, free shipping.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #39

I'm looking at this one. It has a few negative reviews, but the problems are easily corrected. I have two 15000 btu ACs, this should run at least one of them easy enough.

Westinghouse iGen4500 | 3700W Portable Inverter Generator | Free Shipping
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #40

Quote:

My champion 3100 inverter has a 4+ gal tank. Runs all night.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
My champion 3100 inverter has a 4+ gal tank. Runs all night.
Unless something has changed, They come with a 1.5g, so you either have the hybrid inverter (open frame) or have plumbed in an extra tank? Let us know!
Old 11-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I have an On Board Onan 5500W generator. I also have 2 Honda 2000W. generators with the parallel cord. I seldom run the 5500W. as the Hondas supply most of our power needs.
We just returned from a 5 day trip to Watkins Glen Raceway for the NASCAR race. I ran one Honda from early evening to power my son's stereo system and a string of lights around the awning over the picnic table where we sit and often play a few games of cards. We had my MH there as well as my son's tow behind and could plug both in to recharge batteries as well as run my MH's fridge on electric instead of propane. When we were ready for bed I would switch over to the other Honda which would run all night to power the C-PAP machine our friend has to use while sleeping. In the morning after everyone was up I would refill both generators with fuel. I would start 1 Honda and run it long enough for the girls to use their hair dryer.
We stayed a total of 4 nights and used just under 6 gallons of gas total.
I never started the ONAN.
A friend of ours recently bought a new 5th. wheel and a new Predator 3500W. generator. I was at a dirt track race parked near him and he told me about his new generator. We were standing perhaps 50' from his pickup truck. He was telling me how much he licked the Predator and how quiet it was. I asked him to start it so I could hear for myself. I didn't realize until we were about 10' from the pickup the generator was in the bed of the truck and it was running. I was impressed how quiet it was. Not much, if any, louder than my Hondas. He hadn't had it long enough to really see how the fuel economy was though. Ron bought the Predator from Harbor Freight on sale for $695 plus he bought an extended warranty. I don't recall how much he said he paid for the extended warranty coverage. Ron is a contractor and will use the generator on jobs so he figured the coverage would be worthwhile.
My Hondas get a lot of use other than for camping trips. I can throw one on the front rack of my ATV and use it to power circular saws, Sawzalls, and drills in the fields building and or maintaining deer hunting stands and blinds. I also use one to run an electric limb trim saw for clearing trails and powering work lights when needed at remote locations. I'm constantly finding new uses for the Hondas. I take a Honda along to power lights in my 26' enclosed snowmobile trailer in the winter time when we are racing.
The best advice I could give would be to figure you power needs and what you will use a generator for then buy to fit your needs.
BTW, I have never had a problem with the Hondas. The only maintenance they have had is an annual oil change and one spark plug change. I bought them in 2013 when I bought my Class C which did not have an On Board generator.
Lynn
Why would you not use the Onan generator and is it LP, gas or diesel?

Tags
generator, quiet